Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nav. Question

Hello,
    Weighing my options. Of when I get to the states and go buy a pay as you go cell phone.
    There is smart phones, and the basic phone ,phones.
    Ao.
    When using nav on a cell "smart "phone how much data do they burn through?

What stand alone nav. units are worth looking at. As this might be a better option than a smart phone and data plan/refill cards and just get a basic pay as you go phone and a nav unit . Assuming I can use the nav unit when I come back home, something the cell phone can't do (I think)
    I understand they might be like point and shoot cameras that don't get much interest anymore because most newer vehicles come with it, and smart phones, "there is an app , for that" but want to steer clear of total garbage.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Eric; February 4, 2020, 05:24 AM.

I use a Garmin NUVI that supports routes. That way I can program each days route and load it in the garmin. You can get them with life-time map updates but I am not sure how it works outside North America. I suspect you can get other countries maps but I don't know if you can convert a North America subscription to an other continent subscription. That would take some investigation.

Comment

My NUVI self upgrades to where you are at once you turn it on. The only thing I had to pay extra was a Good Topographical Maps down load. (Which I use for Off Roading)

Comment

they give drivers directions for the Tour, and you can follow the crowd from location to location.
        I do know that I used up all my data once on a trip from NY to Missouri, I was on a weak plan at the time, but it was crazy, I luckily had printed directions to get me the rest of the way.
        Long Haul 2012

Comment

Although the printed directions are handy, I found that it's not too hard to get where you're going if you just hop in line with a bunch of cars!

However, I would love to find a reliable GPS for under $100 that would easily import the Google route that HRPT publishes a few weeks beforehand.
          Last edited by a_d_a_m; February 5, 2020, 03:44 AM.
          2003 Marauder (HRPT 2014, 2018)
          1962 C-10 (2019 HRPT - now sold)
          1991 Country Squire (2023 HRPT?)

Comment

Originally posted by a_d_a_m View Post
            Although the printed directions are handy, I found that it's not too hard to get where you're going if you just hop in line with a bunch of cars!

However, I would love to find a reliable GPS for under $100 that would easily import the Google route that HRPT publishes a few weeks beforehand.
            Can't you do that with your phone? I've never done that because we always use the printed directions.
            I R Bob
            You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
              Can't you do that with your phone? I've never done that because we always use the printed directions.
              Yes, but that rips through data, increasing the likelihood that I'd be throttled back to 4G later in that billing cycle. Not to mention, my phone also is doing camera and jukebox duty all week, so would prefer not having to cycle through 3 apps at the same time. I'm old fashioned and suck at technology for someone my age.

Comment

Yes, but that rips through data, increasing the likelihood that I'd be throttled back to 4G later in that billing cycle. Not to mention, my phone also is doing camera and jukebox duty all week, so would prefer not having to cycle through 3 apps at the same time. I'm old fashioned and suck at technology for someone my age.
                Hell, we're using paper directions, how old school is that.
                I R Bob
                2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Can Millennial's read a Actual Highway Map?

Comment

Garmin offers non USA map at about $250 when I looked a few years ago. I used paper instructions and the Garmin to verify i was going in the correct general direction .
                    Since I travel CHEAP my hotels are often many miles from the next day start I use my laptop to find my way back to the route for the next day/

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post

Hell, we're using paper directions, how old school is that.
                      Paper directions for the tour are fine, but we might want to stop and look at things on the way, or find someplace to eat, and not get lost and can't find way back to the route or a hotel.
                      Being this be the 1st time in the USA, Things most of you find boring might be very interesting to go see/look at.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
                        Can Millennial's read a Actual Highway Map?
                        Born in '81, and yes - I carry a road atlas in each of my cars. :D

Comment

ADAM,
                          If you are working on cars,
                          Your my Next Generation of Heroes!!
                          And I don't care which inclination of Cars, Scooters, machines either!
                          Please, don't take these comments personally.
                          I have a few college educated nephews that
                          can't read a Dip Stick..........
                          But they are Handy to have around to unscramble my computer after a Microsoft Upgrade that I can't understand......
                          I grew up in a "Dam well be able to do it yourself era" as a working stiff, you won't have the money to pay to get it done for you.
                          Peace Bro

Comment

Definitely no offense taken, Captain!

Comment

Born in '81, and yes - I carry a road atlas in each of my cars. :D
                              We have a waterproof atlas in the Cutlass. Sometimes it gets damp in there.
                              I R Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X