Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tour equipment . video

Hello.
    We got an email today from the person helping us in the states, that we asked to pick up a go-pro .
    He got a model #8 4k unit and two 128gig memory cards.
    Anyone that has these cameras have any idea how long a 128 gig memory card will record .
    Should we have them pick up a few more memory cards. They are much cheaper in your country.
    Last question, what mount should we have them get for use in a vehicle. ?
    The unit was a bundle, of the unit, a head strap type mount (think bandana) a short handle/stick to hold it, and a memory card , forget if it was/is a 32 or 64 gig card.
    The vehicle we hopefully are using the dash isn't metal, it is padded. So I don't know if the suction cup type mount will work, never seen one.
    Any help here, ?

oh, one last question, what type batteries do they take. or do they have a rechargeable internal battery? How long do they run on one set of battries, or one battery charge if that is the type it uses.
    The car we will be using only has the ash tray lighter, no usb type plug/ports. Do you/can you use the lighter as a power port , is it the same as the round powr ports on mid 2000's vehicles?
    I want to have everything needed on hand and not have to run around picking up a bunch of stuff after the 35 hour flight , non stop was out of our budget.

Any insight would be helpful.

And thank you.
    Last edited by Eric; March 12, 2020, 12:45 PM.

You can buy a windshield mount for the camera, the older ones came with that.
    The suction cup is VERY strong and will hold on the windshield inside, outside anywhere on the car.
    I have driven in autocross with the camera mounted on the front and rear fenders, on the windows on the side of the car in the pouring rain, never had an issue with a camera falling off.

I would imagine it comes with the stick on mounts, a sticker on a bracket to mount it to the vehicle body/glass, but I never used those with mine.

It is a rechargeable battery inside, I know on mine it had a case with a hole for the power cord so you could keep it running, the other case was waterproof and had no opening.
    Looks like the new model is waterproof on its own, no case needed.
    Last edited by BlackVic_P71; March 16, 2020, 03:53 PM.
    Long Haul 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
      Hello.
      We got an email today from the person helping us in the states, that we asked to pick up a go-pro .
      He got a model #8 4k unit and two 128gig memory cards.
      Anyone that has these cameras have any idea how long a 128 gig memory card will record .
      Should we have them pick up a few more memory cards. They are much cheaper in your country.
      Last question, what mount should we have them get for use in a vehicle. ?
      The unit was a bundle, of the unit, a head strap type mount (think bandana) a short handle/stick to hold it, and a memory card , forget if it was/is a 32 or 64 gig card.
      The vehicle we hopefully are using the dash isn't metal, it is padded. So I don't know if the suction cup type mount will work, never seen one.
      Any help here, ?

oh, one last question, what type batteries do they take. or do they have a rechargeable internal battery? How long do they run on one set of battries, or one battery charge if that is the type it uses.
      The car we will be using only has the ash tray lighter, no usb type plug/ports. Do you/can you use the lighter as a power port , is it the same as the round powr ports on mid 2000's vehicles?
      I want to have everything needed on hand and not have to run around picking up a bunch of stuff after the 35 hour flight , non stop was out of our budget.

Any insight would be helpful.

And thank you.
      I think I can help with some questions;

Sounds like you have 2 128 gigs and the 32 or 64 gig. That should be plenty of memory. I don't know how to break down the math, but you should be good filming for the week of Power Tour it self, at least. Good news, if you feel you're gonna run out, you should have plenty of time to find a Wal-Mart, or similar store, to buy more along the way and not out of the way.

The suction cup should work on your windshield, inside! Most likely a cheap China made bundle. Mine was. I would never use the suction cup I got on the outside. No way it would stay on. Inside, good though.

My GoPro is older. The GoPro battery is rechargeable, but seems to get used up fairly quickly. Yours may be better. May consider an extra battery for backup, though. Dead in the water with a dead battery. Hopefully your bundle included an extra GoPro battery. Also, if you get an automotive cigarette adapter with USB ports, you can plug it in there and not use up the GoPro battery while driving, just out at the venues and such. Also, to do this, you may need a longer USB to GoPro cable. May ask your buddy to help look into that. That may not be as easy a find when you're here. http://www.pacific-parts.com/gopro-h...e-c-cable.html I'm not promoting this, just an idea of what to look for; https://www.ebay.com/i/282976356192?chn=ps

Do what you can to read up on your GoPro on line if you can. It may become a bit frustrating to learn on the camera on the go. I'd suggest looking up the User Manual on line.

Mounting the camera with the suction cup, on the inside of the windshield required me to have the camera upside down. Not sure what the Default setting is, but the camera can be set to film the way you want it weather the camera is upside down or not. The camera can adjust for that. Just have to make sure the setting is correct. Kinda why I suggest reading up on it. lol.

I now use a dash cam for filming within the car and the Go Pro to film out of the car.

Also, not to add to your cost or learning curve, or battery consumption when you're tying to enjoy yourself, but, wow, what a difference a gimble makes. These will give you more of a pro quality stillness to the picture. All be it, the trade off is more work. Gotta balance enjoying yourself while here and capturing great memories to watch forever. https://topgimbals.com/

Hope this helps. Good luck. God willing will be doing this, this year. Looking forward to my 11th consecutive Power Tour!

My Power Tour videos;
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp4..._as=subscriber
      Last edited by colemanvoice; March 17, 2020, 03:50 PM.

Comment

thanks for posting coleman
        Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
        X