Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by a_d_a_m View Post
    Yep, that was my thinking as well.

Since they're sticking with National Trail for day 2, I am wondering if they push kickoff up into Michigan (Milan?) or maybe back to the I-X Center which was a venue several years ago.
    Milan is 200 miles away from National Trail and that's taking the interstate, so it might be too far. We started at the IX Center in 2007. That was our first year of doing the PT even if Donna and I didn't know each other then.
    I R Bob
    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by papasmurf587 View Post
      ​ In honor of the original 2020 power tour start date Sunday, we pulled the Goat out for the 1st time this year and drove part of the 2014 Day 1 route that started in Charlotte (PT’s 25th anniversary). We drove the section through Lake Lure, Chimney Rock toward Asheville NC. The only thing missing was 5000 of my best friends.
      That was my first Power Tour and what a BEAUTIFUL route that was. That had me hooked immediately.

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
      Milan is 200 miles away from National Trail and that's taking the interstate, so it might be too far. We started at the IX Center in 2007. That was our first year of doing the PT even if Donna and I didn't know each other then.
      I thought about the length from Milan as well, but we did a super long haul in 2018 from Atlanta to Darlington.

2003 Marauder (HRPT 2014, 2018)
      1962 C-10 (2019 HRPT - now sold)
      1991 Country Squire (2023 HRPT?)

Comment

True, but Michigan is locked down tighter than Ohio is. I don't know if Milan is open.
        I R Bob
        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
          Hot Rod posted they're looking for an alternate site -

Following Summit Motorsports Park's decision to close for 2020 events, we are working diligently on a replacement venue for the August 23rd stop of HOT ROD Power Tour with consideration for our participants and sponsors.
          i would be content on a nearby Walmart parking lot (circa 1995); not very complicated. I take the tour (1) to see more of America, (2) to drive the country's 2 lane blacktops whether they be through farming fields in Indiana or on the twisties in the Smokey mountains & (3) to see my fellow carjunkies. After all these years, the Turkish bazaar scene that we call 'venues' is my lowest priority

Frankly, while its easy for me to say, I don't know why Bill Bader doesn't want to open the gates for this event with no racing - it would seem to me that it would be good PR that should would at least break even financially considering concession sales and hourly staff
          nom de guerre - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Originally posted by >>>>head View Post
            ... I don't know why Bill Bader doesn't want to open the gates for this event with no racing - it would seem to me that it would be good PR that should would at least break even financially considering concession sales and hourly staff ...
            I suspect there is a bigger play - complete loss of business for an entire season - not sure if it is an IRS or government bailout deal but I am sure there are benefits to not opening at all (liability insurance in case one of us falls down in the bathroom )

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

I suspect there is a bigger play - complete loss of business for an entire season - not sure if it is an IRS or government bailout deal but I am sure there are benefits to not opening at all (liability insurance in case one of us falls down in the bathroom )
              fall down in the bathroom?....I would be there to help.....eh......the visuals are not too good

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

I don't have a huge understanding of business law and taxes... but if it's true he'd already been closed to the point he's already missed out on 85% of income, from what I understand, he probably reached the point where his tax deduction for the lost revenue was worth more than the 15% revenue he could make the rest of the year, or the advantage for doing so was so little, it was literally not worth the effort/work of opening?

A big chunk of that 85% could have been sponsors/advertising & vendors pulling out for the season too... not just money from butts in the seats. Again, that's just me guessing.
                Last edited by Jesse James 80; June 10, 2020, 10:53 AM.
                1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
                1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
                1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

Originally posted by >>>>head View Post

i would be content on a nearby Walmart parking lot (circa 1995); not very complicated. I take the tour (1) to see more of America, (2) to drive the country's 2 lane blacktops whether they be through farming fields in Indiana or on the twisties in the Smokey mountains & (3) to see my fellow carjunkies. After all these years, the Turkish bazaar scene that we call 'venues' is my lowest priority

Frankly, while its easy for me to say, I don't know why Bill Bader doesn't want to open the gates for this event with no racing - it would seem to me that it would be good PR that should would at least break even financially considering concession sales and hourly staff
                  I'll drink to that Tom
                  Phil / Omaha

Comment

I'll drink to that Tom
                    Stroh's, Phil?.....hey, let's get off the bench and get back into the game.....as they say

Comment

Mid Ohio road course is just down the road from Summit and could easily handle PT
                      Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                      The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Originally posted by rexdogg View Post

Stroh's, Phil?.....hey, let's get off the bench and get back into the game.....as they say
                        No need this year brother but thanks. I stick with Modelo's now - it's my diet beer with only 4 carbs and tastes better then the Bud Select 55 at 1.9 - I'm down under 200# now and a shadow of my former self ! You are a good man D.K. -- we need to have dinner one night or two.

Phil / Omaha

Comment

No need this year brother but thanks. I stick with Modelo's now - it's my diet beer with only 4 carbs and tastes better then the Bud Select 55 at 1.9 - I'm down under 200# now and a shadow of my former self ! You are a good man D.K. -- we need to have dinner one night or two.
                          Modelo's?....okay, I can bring that.......when the ladies on the PT see our beach bodies.....who knows?........hah!

Comment

....when the ladies on the PT see our beach bodies.....who knows?........hah!
                            Somethings can NEVER be unseen!

Comment

Modelo's?....okay, I can bring that.......when the ladies on the PT see our beach bodies.....who knows?........hah!
                              I can get Modelo's easy enough (even in flyover country as Mike calls it) but maybe a sixpack of Stroh's might be a good dessert. And yes Allen, this body does not go out withour a shirt on in quite a few years now.
                              Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
                                Mid Ohio road course is just down the road from Summit and could easily handle PT
                                I was supposed to do hot laps there last week (they got rained out unfortunately) and they insisted no spectators, masks everywhere, and all buildings closed. Lot of covid waivers to sign beforehand too. So, while a nice idea, I doubt they will even entertain such a large event. I'd love to be wrong as it is a great venue otherwise.
                                2003 Marauder (HRPT 2014, 2018)
                                1962 C-10 (2019 HRPT - now sold)
                                1991 Country Squire (2023 HRPT?)

Comment

Working...
                                X