No announcement yet.

Road Trip Key West 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The U.P. Of Michigan would be nice too but the weather this time of the year can be 75 and sunny or 36 with cold rain and wind. We are heading there next week starting with the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race in Stanton, MI. So far the forecast looks good!
    Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

• Originally posted by moparjim71 View Post
      The U.P. Of Michigan would be nice too but the weather this time of the year can be 75 and sunny or 36 with cold rain and wind. We are heading there next week starting with the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race in Stanton, MI. So far the forecast looks good!
      I aint never been there either.......
      200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
      Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

• Originally posted by moparjim71 View Post
        The U.P. Of Michigan would be nice too but the weather this time of the year can be 75 and sunny or 36 with cold rain and wind. We are heading there next week starting with the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race in Stanton, MI. So far the forecast looks good!
        At one point, that was our plan to get to Deadwood but when some local stuff in Michigan got cancelled we switched to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and Pike's Peak.

Comment

• Originally posted by 200WINS View Post
          Allen, what would be a reasonable idea from the Tampa area going south and driving to Key West? See Key West, and what ever is on the way, have a beach day, maybe go to Dry Tortugas. No particular date, March - April, September - October. How many days would be realistic? I know there's much more traffic and people than where I live, I would love to see some of Miami, but that seems way too busy for me..... Just a conversation for now, Thank you.....
          George, this is a tough one for me. If you just wanted to drive (minimal stopping) then you can get from Tampa to Key West in a day easy. If you wanted to be more touristy then I would say there are lots of options.

Day 1 - Tampa to Naples taking in most of the barrier islands including shelling at Sanibel Island.
          Day 2 - Naples to Miami using US 41. This would provide a lot of time to check out the Everglades and South Beach.
          Day 3 - Start with the Topless donut shop in Ft Lauderdale (if they are still open), then down to John Pennekamp for some snorkeling then mosey down the keys to stop at Islamorada or Marathon for the night.
          Day 4 - Continue down to Key West - short drive so lots of time to take in the various key sites and get settled in in Key West. If you going to do the Duval Crawl, get started early as the boat to the Dry Tortugas leaves early
          Day 5 - Dry Tortugas
          Day 6 - ???????

You could also shorten this up by combining Day 1 and Day 2 which would eliminate some of the barrier island stuff (not really all that interesting at least if you have seen it once)
          You could skip the donut shop and go snorkeling (or not) and get all the way to Key West by mid-afternoon. Still some time to settle in and check out the sights on Day 2
          Day 3 would then be the trip to the Dry Tortugas

They Keys are only ~127 miles so 3 hours is a pretty casual drive (posted speed limits - for those that believe in that stuff are pretty low)

If this is something your are interested in then let me know and I will actually do some research as most of what I have posted is from memory.

Comment

• Donna definitely wants to bring one of the cars down there and drive to Key West. I've made that drive several times and it was a good time.
            I R Bob
            You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

• Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
              Donna definitely wants to bring one of the cars down there and drive to Key West. I've made that drive several times and it was a good time.
              As you know - it is a drive to get here from Michigan. You will probably spend more time getting here and back than you spend here. Anyway, if/when you come, please give us some notice as we would like to get together.

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

George, this is a tough one for me. If you just wanted to drive (minimal stopping) then you can get from Tampa to Key West in a day easy. If you wanted to be more touristy then I would say there are lots of options.

Day 1 - Tampa to Naples taking in most of the barrier islands including shelling at Sanibel Island.
                Day 2 - Naples to Miami using US 41. This would provide a lot of time to check out the Everglades and South Beach.
                Day 3 - Start with the Topless donut shop in Ft Lauderdale (if they are still open), then down to John Pennekamp for some snorkeling then mosey down the keys to stop at Islamorada or Marathon for the night.
                Day 4 - Continue down to Key West - short drive so lots of time to take in the various key sites and get settled in in Key West. If you going to do the Duval Crawl, get started early as the boat to the Dry Tortugas leaves early
                Day 5 - Dry Tortugas
                Day 6 - ???????

You could also shorten this up by combining Day 1 and Day 2 which would eliminate some of the barrier island stuff (not really all that interesting at least if you have seen it once)
                You could skip the donut shop and go snorkeling (or not) and get all the way to Key West by mid-afternoon. Still some time to settle in and check out the sights on Day 2
                Day 3 would then be the trip to the Dry Tortugas

They Keys are only ~127 miles so 3 hours is a pretty casual drive (posted speed limits - for those that believe in that stuff are pretty low)

If this is something your are interested in then let me know and I will actually do some research as most of what I have posted is from memory.

Thank you Allen, I think driving some of the barrier islands (pick and choose) would be good, We drove Long Boat Key and the surrounding area when we came down for the races a hundred years ago. We really enjoyed seeing some of the properties and coast line. With that being said, I think driving the coastline and barrier islands would be great, but not necessary to drive so much of it. Shelling at Sanibel Island I had to look up, the area looks amazing.

I've been reading some of the Everglades National Park, I don't think we would be interested in any in depth tours, rather a drive through and a cancellation stamp.

What about Biscayne National Park? Maybe a light house to see and a cancellation stamp.

Is it reasonable to get to South Beach for us rural driving folks?

Driving the Overseas Highway 1 and Key West would be the shining attraction for me.

Will Dry Tortugas take an entire day?

I'm a very big fan of Key Lime Pie and did you mention donuts?

Looks like lodging in Key West can be a premium (expected cost of having fun), is it safe for driving and leaving classic cars and Hot Rods? Would you recommend staying at different locations or have a home base hotel?

I see there are some Cars and Coffee events and maybe a few shows at different times of the year. Going to a "Car Event" is not necessary, but could be fun. This would be more about gathering with friends to hangout, see stuff, share stories and make new tales to tell.

I don't think we're the snorkeling types, but if there is a beach somewhere to enjoy, that would work just fine while others do. John Pennekamp looks amazing, maybe we could take a boat tour while others snorkel?

What about those six toed cats??

What could we do with five days? As I'm still producing for the capitalist economic machine, 9 day total trip would be max for us including the four day trip to and from, unless we flew into Tampa or St. Pete and rented a drop top.

Keep the conversation going, no pressure, low expectations, thank you.....
                Last edited by 200WINS; September 12, 2020, 09:45 AM.
                200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
                Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

Thank you Allen, I think driving some of the barrier islands (pick and choose) would be good, We drove Long Boat Key and the surrounding area when we came down for the races a hundred years ago. We really enjoyed seeing some of the properties and coast line. With that being said, I think driving the coastline and barrier islands would be great, but not necessary to drive so much of it. Shelling at Sanibel Island I had to look up, the area looks amazing.

I've been reading some of the Everglades National Park, I don't think we would be interested in any in depth tours, rather a drive through and a cancellation stamp.

What about Biscayne National Park? Maybe a light house to see and a cancellation stamp.

Driving the Overseas Highway 1 and Key West would be the shining attraction for me.

Will Dry Tortugas take an entire day?

I'm a very big fan of Key Lime Pie and did you mention donuts?

Looks like lodging in Key West can be a premium (expected cost of having fun), is it safe for driving and leaving classic cars and Hot Rods? Would you recommend staying at different locations or have a home base hotel?

I see there are some Cars and Coffee events and maybe a few shows at different times of the year. Going to a "Car Event" is not necessary, but could be fun. This would be more about gathering with friends to hangout, see stuff, share stories and make new tales to tell.

I don't think we're the snorkeling types, but if there is a beach somewhere to enjoy, that would work just fine while others do. John Pennekamp looks amazing, maybe we could take a boat tour while others snorkel?

What about those six toed cats??

What could we do with five days? As I'm still producing for the capitalist economic machine, 9 day total trip would be max for us including the four day trip to and from, unless we flew into Tampa or St. Pete and rented a drop top.

Keep the conversation going, no pressure, low expectations, thank you.....
                  WOW George - where to start?

The thought of you lying on the beach (in shorts / bathing suit) would send me to the tint shop to get a lemo tint added to my sunglasses
                  Hotels in Key West - yes somewhat like Deadwood - Motel 6's can be triple digits!
                  Yes the Dry Tortugas is a FULL day. I am not sure what the flights (sea planes) are but the high speed cat leaves ~8:00am and gets back ~5:30pm. I was confused - Fort Jefferson is 70 miles west of Key West so it is a little over a two hour trip each way. Here is a link https://www.drytortugas.com/. I have never taken the "guided Fort Tour" but have walked around it a few times on a self-guided tour. The facilities are minimal, their breakfast and lunch will keep you from dying from malnutrition but won't keep you from wanting some conch fritters when you get back to shore.

As you know, a lot of the barrier islands are occupied with large estates on the water which often inhibits views of the gulf. It might be feasible to go to Homestead the first day. Then take a morning trip to Everglades State Park. It appears that there is only one road in and out but upon returning to Homestead you could drive out to the northern tip of Key Largo. That would give you some exposure to Biscayne Bay. I suspect this would end the day at one of the middle keys.

Day 1 - Palmetto to Homestead with some visits to barrier islands.
                  Day 2 - Homestead to Everglades State Park, Biscayne Bay and other northern Keys - stay on one of the middle keys
                  Day 3 - Somewhere to Key West - short day, Duval Crawl, food/drink/tourist walking around stuff
                  Day 4 - Dry Tortugas
                  Day 5 - Key West to Palmetto

Day 2 could be shortened (or not take as long as I think) which would give more time to slip into a Key West state of mind!

I know that Bob and Donna have expressed interest in doing a trip like this as well. It would be cool if we could put a group together to do something like this. I am not sure when would be best to do this as March/April (Spring break) or September/October (Hurricane season) with Peak season in Key West running from November through February. As to safety for old cars - I have no clue. I think most of the higher end hotels have security of some variety. Once you get to Key West, they have a shuttle bus deal that you can ride around the key fairly cheaply. Parking is often challenging so finding 10 slots for cars in any given lot would be difficult.

This would be very cool to do - BUT - will require lots of input from those attending as I am not much of a social director.

Willow added: Coral Castle www.coralcastle.com
                  Last edited by cstmwgn; September 12, 2020, 03:45 PM.

Comment

• Ok, so two weeks ago was in fact the first time I had worn shorts all year, I'm sure the reflection was quite bright.... That's Awesome!!

I know my original intent was National Parks. Like everywhere we go, there are a lot of elements to take into consideration. Key West would be the goal, and two full down days of relaxing would be great. Since the Dry Tortugas is a complete day, this might drop down the priority list for this trip.

I don't know if I can make (crawl) all fourty some bars, but I'm pretty sure we'd be willing to try, I might need a scooter cart halfway.... or before....

Maybe an afternoon/evenings at a pool or beach with pina coladas and mities or....... something......

I didn't consider Spring Break (March April), what about the summer months? Other than being HOT and the threat of hurricanes or tropical storms, is it reasonable to entertain the idea of a "Summer Road Trip"?

So many questions, so much to consider, please excuse my "all over the board" thoughts...... it's a process for me.....

Did I mention I like Key Lime pie.....what are conch fritters?

Thank you Allen...... keep it fun.....

Comment

Ok, so two weeks ago was in fact the first time I had worn shorts all year, I'm sure the reflection was quite bright.... That's Awesome!!
                      That's funny because I was just saying the other day that it was the first time that I had worn long pants since I retired!
                      I R Bob
                      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

As you know - it is a drive to get here from Michigan. You will probably spend more time getting here and back than you spend here. Anyway, if/when you come, please give us some notice as we would like to get together.
                        I figured two days down and two days back from Michigan. I've done non stop from Ft. Lauderdale home but that was a killer drive. A 10 day trip should do it and we'll definitely let you know if and when it happens.
                        I R Bob

Comment

• Bob was just looking at an AirB&B for Key West. He found a place for 400.00 per night with free parking with three bedrooms. Could consider something like this for lodging, would probably be cheaper then a regular hotel. Prices vary per season, he was looking for spring. I would love a trip like this. Would be ok with or without the snorkeling, what ever the group wants to do. Have done this in Mexico and Hawaii a few times. Bob has went diving many times and is certified to dive.
                          Donna
                          Williamston, MI
                          Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

Well they let Jethro and Elly May in Beverly Hills so you could do fine in South Beach (I have never been so I don't have a clue)

Originally posted by 200WINS View Post
                            ..what are conch fritters?
                            They are sort of like hush puppies - conch meat chopped up with some vegetable inside a batter. Very tasty.

I have been struggling to find anyone that rents lizards
                            Last edited by cstmwgn; September 13, 2020, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by redragtop View Post
                              Bob was just looking at an AirB&B for Key West. He found a place for 400.00 per night with free parking with three bedrooms. Could consider something like this for lodging, would probably be cheaper then a regular hotel. Prices vary per season, he was looking for spring. I would love a trip like this. Would be ok with or without the snorkeling, what ever the group wants to do. Have done this in Mexico and Hawaii a few times. Bob has went diving many times and is certified to dive.
                              That does sound good especially, if it includes boB manning the grill! I will play fisherman (I am sure that there is a fish store somewhere that I can get the catch of the day).

Comment

• I don't facebook so I haven't been able to find out if the Key West Power Cruise is dead or just on hiatus for a few years. I am pretty sure that they go down in July. Have lots of little car events planned and make a shindig out of it. Of course it takes them 2 days to get from Key Largo to Key West so some of us might get a little stir crazy at that pace.

As far as time of year. May might be OK, its a little bit of a crap shoot on when the heavy weather (high humidity) rolls in but May can be pleasant. June might impact some folks plans for PowerTour. While I enjoy pissing and moaning about corn fields and the same old roads - I do enjoy the socialization in the parking lots and catching up with old friends.

If we are able to put something together, we can always have multiple agendas for each day. Willow has never been to the Dry Tortugas so I would guess we are going at some point when we are down there. I have heard rumors of boob and Roz also being interested. I don't know who else is watching this thread so it is possible it could be a much bigger group as all are welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X