No announcement yet.

Road Trip Key West 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we update the title to this thread, create a new one or just keep on going?

Comment

• I suppose we can keep it going and update the title to Road Trip Key West 2021. I'm the Author, can I do that?
      200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
      Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

• I don't see where to edit the title, can Steve edit the title? Can we copy from message 130 on and move them into a new thread?
        200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
        Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

• When is love bug season?
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Originally posted by 200WINS View Post
            I don't see where to edit the title, can Steve edit the title? Can we copy from message 130 on and move them into a new thread?
            edit the first post in the thread, you can change the title...
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
              When is love bug season?
              May 3rd (53 Herbie)

Spring (April / May) late Summer (August / September) but that is somewhat generic. I use to worry about it being done before leaving for PowerTour so the end of May first part of June. I always thought that the late summer one was more like the middle of September. I am sure that there is a more scientific method to determine when it is going to happen each year.
              Last edited by cstmwgn; September 14, 2020, 03:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post

edit the first post in the thread, you can change the title...
                Thank you Beagle!

Comment

• Winter could be difficult if we northerners wanted to drive our cars as they're usually tucked away somewhere dry with a couple feet of snow blocking the driveway. Spring Break season is March and part of April. Love Bugs May and September, Power Tour is in June. Is July or August too hot? Just thinking out loud. With any and all events, pick a time and see if it works for most.

Key West Car Show appears to happen in February, although I don't see anything current for 2021. I didn't see anything about Key West Power Cruise.

Florida Car Shows site https://flacarshows.com/

This trip doesn't have to include a car event, more about friends having a good time. Basing around an event gives a definite date.

We're not opposed to a winter trip in an airplane to Tampa or St. Pete and rent a drop top.

From Florida Daily dot com

LOVEBUG MATING SEASON
                  According to the University of Florida, Mating peaks last about four weeks in May and September. Typically, two main generations occur during this time, but the insects can be seen throughout the summer.

Lovebugs are usually active between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m., in temperatures above 84°F. Decades ago, an urban legend started regarding the University of Florida as the creator of Lovebugs, but the University debunked the myth. During the 20th century, lovebugs migrated from Central America, traveling through Texas and Louisiana before arriving in Florida. Lovebugs do not bite, sting, or transmit diseases and are not poisonous. They can damage automobile paint if they are “baked” in the sun.

To remove lovebugs from your car, use a soft dryer sheet or wash your car with water and scrub it to remove the lovebugs. A hood air deflector or screen will reduce the number of spattered lovebugs on your car. Using car wax will protect an automobile’s paint.

Comment

• Count us in as very interested!
                    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                    74 Nova Project
                    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                    79 Chevy Truck Project
                    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• I'm thinking George is on to something.....fly in, rent a convertible. Less maintenance on the cars, more time to socialize. Try to schedule during a cooler time, but not during 'season'......might work very well.
                      BTW, Happy Birthday George.
                      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                        I'm thinking George is on to something.....fly in, rent a convertible. Less maintenance on the cars, more time to socialize.
                        Lot's of options for flights Tampa, St. Pete, Orlando (often cheaper direct flights) Miami, Fort Myers (high speed ferry to Key West - no cars I believe) and Key West

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                        ...Try to schedule during a cooler time, but not during 'season'......might work very well.
                        Well, that can be challenging - yesterday was very humid here - so even late summer can be tough. Late April / early May is often nice up here - not sure about Key West

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                        ...BTW, Happy Birthday George...
                        Happy birthday George!

Comment

• Thanks guys, I had a Wonderful day!

Comment

• doing some more research
                            Key West Power Cruise is DEAD! The lady that use to put it together had other obligations and could not get anyone to pick up the torch. I sent an email to The Southern Most Car Club for info as it APPEARS that there is a "cars and coffee" and a "show and shine" on the 3rd Sunday of each month - two different shows at different locations.

I also got a little bit of sticker shock - it looks like an adult fare to the Dry Tortugas is now $180 a head. I can't believe I paid that much before but I figured I would share it with everyone. There are other snorkeling adventure tours (boats) and I hear decent snorkeling off the beach at Fort Taylor.

I think I am leaning more towards April / May from a weather perspective.

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                              I also got a little bit of sticker shock - it looks like an adult fare to the Dry Tortugas is now $180 a head. I can't believe I paid that much before but I figured I would share it with everyone. There are other snorkeling adventure tours (boats) and I hear decent snorkeling off the beach at Fort Taylor.
                              I believe I read the Dry Tortugas price includes the National Park admission price, so if you have an annual pass of some sort, the admission price would be deducted, ($30.00?, Need to verify). I assume there would also be a fee for rentals or snorkeling and other activity? I also assume their is costs associated with the drinks and such aboard the boat. It's vacation and expected, pick and choose.....

April - May sounds like a good time, keep the conversation going, thank you Allen.....

Comment

• We're available after April 10th, looks like there are lots of accommodation options, sounds like the kids want to come also......

Comment

Working...
                                X