Road Trip Key West 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
    Day 3 - Start with the Topless donut shop in Ft Lauderdale (if they are still open),
    This didn't go un noticed, here's the story;
    https://qctimes.com/news/opinion/edi...ae3729725.html

Here's another;
    https://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/20...-doughnut-shop

200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
    Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

• Originally posted by 200WINS View Post
      Well that is a bummer - so IF you drive down you could always stop at Cafe Risque in Micanopy FL. It appears to still be open and is conveniently just off I75. I know, its not doughnuts but they might have some pasties (or is that pastries?)
      Last edited by cstmwgn; September 17, 2020, 05:50 AM.

Comment

• I've had pasties in Michigan and they are delicious!

In Key West i prefer to stay in the historic section near Duval. It's pretty much walking distance to everything.
        I R Bob
        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

• Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
          ... In Key West i prefer to stay in the historic section near Duval. It's pretty much walking distance to everything.
          boB - I believe you are much more familiar with Key West than I am. In the historic district, are there conventional hotel/motels or is it mostly Airbnbs? I am not sure how big this group is going to be and IF we are all going to try to stay together or closely located it would seem we would need multiple properties.
          Last edited by cstmwgn; September 17, 2020, 07:22 AM.

Comment

boB - I believe you are much more familiar with Key West than I am. In the historic district, are there conventional hotel/motels or is it mostly Airbnbs? I am not sure how big this group is going to be and IF we are all going to try to stay together or closely located it would seem we would need multiple properties.
            There's a mix of conventional hotels, mostly near the water, boutique hotels and air bnb's. Pretty much any type of property you want to stay in is available. I've stayed at a couple small places down there. One of them is Heron House https://heronhousehotels.com/ and Hotel Pegasus https://www.pegasuskeywest.com/). Both were very nice. Heron House was the nicer of the two.
            Last edited by BluLightning; September 18, 2020, 01:19 PM.
            I R Bob
            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

• Being a "Displaced Yooper" Last time I was to Key West was on a "Securities Personel Dare Weekend" over New Years Eve !!
              Can't give the get there details......
              BUT....for the Locals....
              A Biker Ride 2 wide on "On Rented Scooters" 12 deep was a Eye Opener....
              Twice around the little Island was Impressive !!

Comment

Well that is a bummer - so IF you drive down you could always stop at Cafe Risque in Micanopy FL. It appears to still be open and is conveniently just off I75. I know, its not doughnuts but they might have some pasties (or is that pastries?)
                Had been to the Gatornationals and was heading down to Don Garlits museum by back road, came up to interstate and Bam there it was we'd been laughing about it the whole trip. My buddies wife said that's as close as you get! Oh you count on me as very interested but would depend on John's schooling.

Click image for larger version  Name:	08f41a528c87ac0b78adff9e2fa1cf1ejpg.0.jpg Views:	0 Size:	361.4 KB ID:	1280614
                Last edited by corvettedad; September 18, 2020, 01:52 PM.
                Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

• We were just at the other end of Hwy 41 by Copper Harbor.
                  Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

• Originally posted by moparjim71 View Post
                    We were just at the other end of Hwy 41 by Copper Harbor.
                    I bet it is warmer on our end that yours!

Comment

• Placing this here for future reference https://www.tripshock.com/blog/key-w...nsiders-guide/
                      200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
                      Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

• It looks like rooms are booking up pretty quick for early May. If we're going to do this, we should probably make reservations soon. I looked at this place. https://www.angelinaguesthouse.com/

It looks nice and the rooms are "reasonable" for Key West. I looked at booking from May 3-5 and it was about $300 a night.
                        I R Bob

Comment

• Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
                          It looks like rooms are booking up pretty quick for early May. If we're going to do this, we should probably make reservations soon. I looked at this place. https://www.angelinaguesthouse.com/

It looks nice and the rooms are "reasonable" for Key West. I looked at booking from May 3-5 and it was about $300 a night.
                          Are you guys planning on bringing the Cutlass?
                          Did you read the reviews about parking and partying?

It sounds nice and the rooms weren't that bad (if I understand their pricing model) but they were pretty clear about no groups sitting around socializing. While I know that we are very close to Duval, I also know our group and it is unlikely that we won't gather at the hotel (guest house) and socialize.

Comment

Are you guys planning on bringing the Cutlass?
                            Did you read the reviews about parking and partying?

It sounds nice and the rooms weren't that bad (if I understand their pricing model) but they were pretty clear about no groups sitting around socializing. While I know that we are very close to Duval, I also know our group and it is unlikely that we won't gather at the hotel (guest house) and socialize.
                            We haven't decided which car we would bring down there. It will either be the Cutlass or the Solstice.

When I originally looked, it said free parking and then I saw it was free street parking. I don't mind parking the Solstice in the street, but I wouldn't want to park the Cutlass there. There is a pay parking lot around the corner that is $20 a day. We did book a room there but it is refundable so if we find something better, we can just switch.

Parking in Key West is going to be the main issue. Not a lot of places have their own lots. Once we're there, we probably wouldn't use the car until we leave though.

I'll keep looking and see if I can come up with other places.
                            I R Bob

Comment

• Take a look at the Blue Marlin Motel?? I looked briefly at Kayak and Booking.com.....

Comment

• Originally posted by 200WINS View Post
                                Take a look at the Blue Marlin Motel?? I looked briefly at Kayak and Booking.com.....
                                That looks like it might be a good place. I'm up for anything really.
                                I R Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X