No announcement yet.

Road Trip Key West 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capt may be interested in a endurance run from Central Wisconsin. But leaving right after Easter, might be Really Nipplely in the Indy Racer......
    Should have the Marrakesh Express done by then, which would make a whole different adventure !!!

Comment

• Met a guy at CTC this week who is interested in going with us to Key West. Told him about Bangshift and how to find the thread and the information. He acted sincere, we'll see
      Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
      If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

• You sound like a Jehovah's Witness recruiter Perry -- miss ya guys.
        Phil / Omaha

Comment

• Some of you know my interest in trivia and history, going to the Florida Keys relates to many TV shows and movies. So I had to look up Flipper filming locations. it seems some of the show was filmed at Ivan Tors (now Greenwich) Studios in Miami, as well as Virginia Key, other parts were filmed at what is now the Dolphin Research Center on Grassy Key. There is a monument marking the grave of Mitzi the main Flipper actress. Flipper was played by several trained dolphins, most were female because they simply looked better. The scenes of Flipper tail walking was played by Mr. Glipper, a male dolphin. https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/3319

Click image for larger version  Name:	FLGRAdolphinsign_432x254.jpg Views:	0 Size:	28.0 KB ID:	1281860
          Last edited by 200WINS; October 7, 2020, 07:08 AM.
          200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
          Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

• More Flipper Stuff, surprising there isn't more trivia, filming location at Miami Seaquarium and around Virginia Key.

https://nostalgiacentral.com/televis...1960s/flipper/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057748...ef_=tt_trv_trv

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...s_Florida.html
            200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
            Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

• Originally posted by 200WINS View Post
              Some of you know my interest in trivia and history, going to the Florida Keys relates to many TV shows and movies. So I had to look up Flipper filming locations. it seems some of the show was filmed at Ivan Tors (now Greenwich) Studios in Miami, as well as Virginia Key, other parts were filmed at what is now the Dolphin Research Center on Grassy Key. There is a monument marking the grave of Mitzi the main Flipper actress. Flipper was played by several trained dolphins, most were female because they simply looked better. The scenes of Flipper tail walking was played by Mr. Glipper, a male dolphin. https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/3319

Click image for larger version Name:	FLGRAdolphinsign_432x254.jpg Views:	0 Size:	28.0 KB ID:	1281860
              Sooo, it is sounding more like a 2+ week trip!
              Hopefully we can get another stimulus check to help pay for hotel rooms down there.

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Sooo, it is sounding more like a 2+ week trip!
                Hopefully we can get another stimulus check to help pay for hotel rooms down there.
                I may need to consider changing zip codes.....

Comment

• Florida Keys are accustom to Hollywood, two movies that come to mind are James Bond License to Kill and True Lies, both movies had dramatic scenes shot on Seven Mile Bridge (the old bridge). Here's a link to how they blew up the bridge in True Lies. https://beforesandafters.com/2019/07...way-miniature/

Click image for larger version

Name:	True_Lies_Causeway_Mini_Crew-1024x806.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	1281935

Comment

• Jamie Lee Curtis was hot in that movie
                    Phil / Omaha

Comment

• Looks like we might be making it a 2 week vacation starting in Talladega the weekend before. Have a nice leisurely cruise along the gulf, maybe visit Dave the Bartender. Now we just have to find a dog sitter.
                      I R Bob
                      You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

• Reservation made
                        Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                        The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

• Just because we are temporarily homeless, doesn't mean we can't find some fun stuff to do. Depending on your interests, there is Tiki Bar hoppin, visiting the smallest police station in the country, visiting the Panacea Marine Lab with touch tanks, we had glass bottom boat tours at Wakulla Springs (not sure if they are still doing that), and various other things such as shopping, eating, and visiting micro breweries in Apalachicola.

We are on the Forgotten Coast but there are a few things to do. Plus, Bob there will be Miller Lite at our own "Handlebar !"

No Julie McCord DTB
                          DTB - RETIRED

Comment

• One more thing. We went to Key West a few years ago and did all the tourist trap things, and enjoyed every one of them. Hemingway's house, Treasure Hunter Mel Fisher's museum and Jenny especially liked the butterfly museum. My favorite place was on Big Key, a hidden and famous unknown bar called The NO Name Bar. Well it wasn't unknown but it was Very difficult to find. As a bonus that is where the Key Deer are. Mother Nature . . . I mean Jenny, kissed one on the nose, but luckily didn't get caught and arrested.

There is also a "tree house" restaurant near Duval street that has the islands best Key Lime pie ! It was our fav restaurant.

Islamorada has Hemmingway's boat in Bass Pro which was a good stop. But the islands gem is the Lorelei bar and restaurant. Can't beat the sunset parties !

Just things to think about this WINTER ! DTB
                            DTB - RETIRED

Comment

• For those that are considering joining us, please let me know if you are a YES or a MAYBE. I am keeping a list to help a little with the planning / logistics.
                              What I have now is George & Teri, Bob & Donna, Big Dave - YES
                              Perry & John, Chris & Teresa - MAYBE
                              and one Jehovah's Witness recruiter

Comment

• we are a maybe....might have problems with school, not sure of schedule for 2nd semester. Also $300 bucks a night might be a deal breaker. we'll see
                                Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

Working...
                                X