Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain
    replied
    Being a "Displaced Yooper" Last time I was to Key West was on a "Securities Personel Dare Weekend" over New Years Eve !!
    Can't give the get there details......
    BUT....for the Locals....
    A Biker Ride 2 wide on "On Rented Scooters" 12 deep was a Eye Opener....
    Twice around the little Island was Impressive !!

Leave a comment:

• BluLightning
    replied
    Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
    boB - I believe you are much more familiar with Key West than I am. In the historic district, are there conventional hotel/motels or is it mostly Airbnbs? I am not sure how big this group is going to be and IF we are all going to try to stay together or closely located it would seem we would need multiple properties.
    There's a mix of conventional hotels, mostly near the water, boutique hotels and air bnb's. Pretty much any type of property you want to stay in is available. I've stayed at a couple small places down there. One of them is Heron House https://heronhousehotels.com/ and Hotel Pegasus https://www.pegasuskeywest.com/). Both were very nice. Heron House was the nicer of the two.
    Last edited by BluLightning; September 18, 2020, 01:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
    ... In Key West i prefer to stay in the historic section near Duval. It's pretty much walking distance to everything.
    boB - I believe you are much more familiar with Key West than I am. In the historic district, are there conventional hotel/motels or is it mostly Airbnbs? I am not sure how big this group is going to be and IF we are all going to try to stay together or closely located it would seem we would need multiple properties.
    Last edited by cstmwgn; September 17, 2020, 07:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BluLightning
    replied
    I've had pasties in Michigan and they are delicious!

In Key West i prefer to stay in the historic section near Duval. It's pretty much walking distance to everything.

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Originally posted by 200WINS View Post
    Well that is a bummer - so IF you drive down you could always stop at Cafe Risque in Micanopy FL. It appears to still be open and is conveniently just off I75. I know, its not doughnuts but they might have some pasties (or is that pastries?)
    Last edited by cstmwgn; September 17, 2020, 05:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 200WINS
    replied
    Day 3 - Start with the Topless donut shop in Ft Lauderdale (if they are still open),
    This didn't go un noticed, here's the story;
    https://qctimes.com/news/opinion/edi...ae3729725.html

Here's another;
    https://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/20...-doughnut-shop

Leave a comment:

• 200WINS
    replied
    We're available after April 10th, looks like there are lots of accommodation options, sounds like the kids want to come also......

Leave a comment:

• 200WINS
    replied
    I also got a little bit of sticker shock - it looks like an adult fare to the Dry Tortugas is now $180 a head. I can't believe I paid that much before but I figured I would share it with everyone. There are other snorkeling adventure tours (boats) and I hear decent snorkeling off the beach at Fort Taylor.
    I believe I read the Dry Tortugas price includes the National Park admission price, so if you have an annual pass of some sort, the admission price would be deducted, ($30.00?, Need to verify). I assume there would also be a fee for rentals or snorkeling and other activity? I also assume their is costs associated with the drinks and such aboard the boat. It's vacation and expected, pick and choose.....

April - May sounds like a good time, keep the conversation going, thank you Allen.....

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    doing some more research
    Key West Power Cruise is DEAD! The lady that use to put it together had other obligations and could not get anyone to pick up the torch. I sent an email to The Southern Most Car Club for info as it APPEARS that there is a "cars and coffee" and a "show and shine" on the 3rd Sunday of each month - two different shows at different locations.

I also got a little bit of sticker shock - it looks like an adult fare to the Dry Tortugas is now $180 a head. I can't believe I paid that much before but I figured I would share it with everyone. There are other snorkeling adventure tours (boats) and I hear decent snorkeling off the beach at Fort Taylor.

I think I am leaning more towards April / May from a weather perspective.

Leave a comment:

• 200WINS
    replied
    Thanks guys, I had a Wonderful day!

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
    I'm thinking George is on to something.....fly in, rent a convertible. Less maintenance on the cars, more time to socialize.
    Lot's of options for flights Tampa, St. Pete, Orlando (often cheaper direct flights) Miami, Fort Myers (high speed ferry to Key West - no cars I believe) and Key West

...Try to schedule during a cooler time, but not during 'season'......might work very well.
    Well, that can be challenging - yesterday was very humid here - so even late summer can be tough. Late April / early May is often nice up here - not sure about Key West

...BTW, Happy Birthday George...
    Happy birthday George!

Leave a comment:

• oletrux4evr
    replied
    I'm thinking George is on to something.....fly in, rent a convertible. Less maintenance on the cars, more time to socialize. Try to schedule during a cooler time, but not during 'season'......might work very well.
    BTW, Happy Birthday George.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Count us in as very interested!

Leave a comment:

• 200WINS
    replied
    Winter could be difficult if we northerners wanted to drive our cars as they're usually tucked away somewhere dry with a couple feet of snow blocking the driveway. Spring Break season is March and part of April. Love Bugs May and September, Power Tour is in June. Is July or August too hot? Just thinking out loud. With any and all events, pick a time and see if it works for most.

Key West Car Show appears to happen in February, although I don't see anything current for 2021. I didn't see anything about Key West Power Cruise.

Florida Car Shows site https://flacarshows.com/

This trip doesn't have to include a car event, more about friends having a good time. Basing around an event gives a definite date.

We're not opposed to a winter trip in an airplane to Tampa or St. Pete and rent a drop top.

From Florida Daily dot com

LOVEBUG MATING SEASON
    According to the University of Florida, Mating peaks last about four weeks in May and September. Typically, two main generations occur during this time, but the insects can be seen throughout the summer.

Lovebugs are usually active between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m., in temperatures above 84°F. Decades ago, an urban legend started regarding the University of Florida as the creator of Lovebugs, but the University debunked the myth. During the 20th century, lovebugs migrated from Central America, traveling through Texas and Louisiana before arriving in Florida. Lovebugs do not bite, sting, or transmit diseases and are not poisonous. They can damage automobile paint if they are “baked” in the sun.

To remove lovebugs from your car, use a soft dryer sheet or wash your car with water and scrub it to remove the lovebugs. A hood air deflector or screen will reduce the number of spattered lovebugs on your car. Using car wax will protect an automobile’s paint.

Leave a comment:

• 200WINS
    replied
    Originally posted by Beagle View Post

edit the first post in the thread, you can change the title...
    Thank you Beagle!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X