Who's Hauling on the Power Tour West?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's Hauling on the Power Tour West?

I can't make it, but I'm sure at least a few Bangshifters are going to make their way out to L.A. for this one. Anybody know that they're going yet?

Here's the official post by Hot Rod: 2023 HOT ROD Power Tour West Is Back! Here's Everything You Need to Know (motortrend.com)

Also, quick question for everybody: should I go ahead and create a separate countdown for HRPT West or should be just addend the number of days until the HRPTW to our posts on the current countdown?​​
    Last edited by PacerRacer; October 2, 2023, 03:03 PM.
    HRPT 2016 - OKC, Wichita, KC
    HRPT 2017- KC, Newton, Davenport
    HRPT 2022 - Memphis, Nashville, Hoover, Pensacola

I'm not going but if my opinion counts - separate thread

Comment

We're not going to make it this year either. Maybe someday though...
      I R Bob
      You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

We are not going but I think some of the AZ folks are.
        Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Bangshifters, I plan on it. It will be the first 'official HotRod Power Tour West'. I'll do it once, for the first one, get the sticker/plaque and consider it done. Kind of ironic since HotRod Power Tour itself started in California but hasn't been back since 2001 or so. I get it though, since quite few miles of AZ, NM and CO could get a little much after several days. It kills off two of my bucket list type items, like seeing the 4wide track at Las Vegas plus looking at the bathtub ring of what used to be Lake Mead. I plan on making Albuquerque the first night, hopefully, 630 miles for me. Usually after about 500 miles or so I am more than ready to NOT be sitting in my GTO anymore for the day, I'll see. The TKX 5 speed cruising at 80 mph at 2600 rpm makes a huge difference from last year when I had the original Muncie 4 speed, at 70 mph at 3000 rpm. Did about 30,000 miles at that 3000 rpm, don't need to, don't want to, can't make me anymore. I hope the weather holds for me going the Albuquergue/Flagstaff route because, just me here, I would rather be a little cold that go anywhere near our neighbor to the South. I am farily insulated being in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and don't want to push the envelope too much even seeing signs for El Paso, Tucson or Yuma. No problem, just me. Hopefully some other Bangshifters are going also. Hank
          Hank

HRPT Long Haul 2013, 15, 16, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23, 23 West
          Cruisn' The Coast 2019, 21
          GTOAA Route 66 2018, GTOAA Convention 2023
          Tour Nebraska 2023

Comment

Sound like a couple of PT buddies Mark & Leroy from Wisc are going in Mark's 63 Galaxie with a BBF motorvation.
            Phil / Omaha

Comment

BluLightning Bob and 70chevyC-10 Phil/Omaha, we've talked before. This should be an interesting Power Tour trip being a 'first official West' and all, even though a ways to get there. Anyway here's a quick update on the 65 Iris Mist GTO I and my son are building. During cleaning and preparation while removing the Dynamat some genius placed OVER the wirinig on the floor, the bastardized aftermarket A/C install into a factory A/C car with the condesation line (nicely rusted) going through passenger floor and the rotated 90 degrees fuse block of the bastardized Painless wiring someone attempted to install with the butchered hole in the firewall, progress has been made. We were able to not only flick surface rust buggers off the passenger floor and trunk floor, we were able to push all the way through with our surgically sharp normal screw drivers. Hmmmmm, kind of set back the schedule. 1/2 of the Driver and Passenger Front pans replaced including new Tunnel area (oh my! butchered badly), the whole Trunk pan replaced and a 'donor' fuse block firewall metal piece from a 69 Chevelle donor (not ours), we then decided to have the ding in the Hood fixed, the rust spot on the Trunk Lid fixed and the Trunk seal channel rebuilt (about 2 feet of it because some idiot had the seal in backwards). Well the short story is we almost got a complete Paint job out of it after the shop ran into 7 different shades of Iris Mist on her after they guaranteed to match her. Soooo, custom mix on the tops of the Front Fenders, the Cowl and the A Pillars (3 re-sprays). Then the custom mix on the Panel between the Trunk Lid and the bottom of the Rear Window plus the tops of the Rear Quarters (2 more re-sprays). She looks pretty good in and out of the sun, lighting, etc.. In the meantime she has a new 4.11 gearset in the Ford 9" rear. We're getting there and I'll post some pics of progress along the way, none tonight. We've all been there and of course have things we didn't plan on. Oh well, all is good and the twin 2 yr old great grandsons are fine, even with a little brother, busy folks I guess. Hank
              Hank

Tour Nebraska 2023

Comment

Sounds like you're making good progress on the Goat. I still have a list of things to fix after two Power Tours in mine.
                I R Bob
                2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Bob, thanks on the progress Goat comment, it helps. Hopefully she'll be ready to fire up early next year. Here are some pics of where she is at this time. They are not in order but you can work it out. I actually saw a Nightwatch Blue one last month, but it was not a convertible like you want. Hank
                  Hank

Tour Nebraska 2023

Comment

Looking good! I ended up not being able to find a Nightwatch Blue one that I liked or could afford so I ended up buying one that is Reef Turquoise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	g6.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	1344427 Click image for larger version

Name:	240697749_10227105157195848_9073528400442544860_n.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	1344428 Click image for larger version

Name:	g9.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	1344429
                    I R Bob

Comment

Bob, VERY NICE! That is a good looking vehicle, lots of fuel delievery and a u-drive-it device sticking up out of the console. Did she do all of Power Tour 2021? I may have seen it. Very Nice cruiser there, Hank
                      Hank

Tour Nebraska 2023

Comment

Yep Hank, it long hauled in 2021 and 2023. We take it every other year. The Cutlass goes the other years.
                        Last edited by BluLightning; October 30, 2023, 08:45 AM.
                        I R Bob

Comment

I have been waiting years to do a West Coast tour or at least a power tour coming close to me since moving to Arizona in '08. I did the tour earlier this year on the East Coast driving over 6,000 miles round trip so having this one so close to home is a no-brainer

Comment

One less reason for them to come here. Heartland Park in Topeka is set to close. Their season is already over this year. Never got around to seeing a road course race there.

Comment

Originally posted by stu yoakam View Post
                              One less reason for them to come here. Heartland Park in Topeka is set to close. Their season is already over this year. Never got around to seeing a road course race there.
                              I don't think PT has ever been to Heartland Park, I would guess because Topeka doesn't have enough hotel space for a Power Tour. That being said, I was super bummed about Heartland Park. I have a buddy who's been racing there all 22 years of his life so far and if you didn't know that he was talking about a race track you would think he had a family member in hospice. If Topeka and the rest of the region doesn't think that street racing is going to become a problem because of the loss of Heartland, they are dead wrong. Illegal automotive activity spiked here in Kansas City after KCIR shut down, and the same will happen to Topeka.
                              Last edited by PacerRacer; November 8, 2023, 08:08 AM.
                              HRPT 2016 - OKC, Wichita, KC
                              HRPT 2017- KC, Newton, Davenport
                              HRPT 2022 - Memphis, Nashville, Hoover, Pensacola

Comment

Working...
                              X