Repainting A Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repainting A Car

My husband just won $5k through the GA State Lottery and we decided to get his 1993 Mustang repainted. It's in original condition and needs a lot of TLC like replacing weather stripping around the car, needs headlights etc. We have never done this before so what do you suggest we replace? I would appreciate a list. My friend said to purchase everything ourselves rather than have a bodyshop do it because they will jack up the price.

In looking for a paint/body shop to do the work, what should we be asking about regarding the painting process? Before winning the lottery, my hubby just wanted a $500 job, but I say spend the extra money to have it done right because it may become a collectible. What is a reasonable price? A couple of places quoted $3K but not sure what that all involves.

I'm also looking for referrals for the Macon/Warner Robins area. Thanks.

Denise
    2006 HRPT LH
    2007 HRPT LH
    2011 Valdosta Stop

Re: Repainting A Car

I know you don't want to send it to TAman's body man! ;D I wouldn't get a cheap paint job, but nothing too pricey either. In my mind (& most times it's empty!) it will be a long time before it's a collector car, so why not save on the paint job now and put more $$$ into it later if it becomes a collectible. :-*

Linda 8)

Comment

Denise, I'm with Linda on this one.
      If he really wants it repainted, go ahead with the $500 job and use the rest on improving the mechanicals, new wheels, etc.
      ... unless it is perfect of course, in which case .. go blow the wad on a really nice paint job.
      ;)

Comment

I just spent 9600 on the paint job and body work on my car and that didn't include the new quarter panel I purchased. To be fair though I had to have a quarter put on, the firewall pulled straight and the whole front end assembled. I am just saying don't expect a lazer straight car for 3000.
        Make sure you buy a complete weatherstip kit for the car and possibly a new hardware kit. Most of the rest of it is just going to be labor and paint unless you need sheetmetal replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
          Denise, I'm with Linda on this one.
          If he really wants it repainted, go ahead with the $500 job and use the rest on improving the mechanicals, new wheels, etc.
          ... unless it is perfect of course, in which case .. go blow the wad on a really nice paint job.
          ;)
          Denise, I agree with Steve, I would go with the 500 paint job and do the mechanicals and shinny stuff, just remember, this will be one of many incarnations of your pride and joy........

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
          1966 Plymouth Fury III
          2014 Dodge Ram 1500
          Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
          Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

Wow! I am really surprised about the majority recommending an inexpensive paint job considering how picky people are about their rides while on tour. This will definitely be an interesting experience.
            2006 HRPT LH
            2007 HRPT LH
            2011 Valdosta Stop

Comment

Denise, the smart thing to do is sit down and make a "wish" vs "needs" list. That will make the decision making easier. You will be surprised how quickly 5K will go! :o

Linda 8)

Comment

I had been holding back but unless the car is 100% razor straight with NO body work required you aren't going to get any kind of spectacular paint job for $5K. If you are thinking that they are going to remove all the glass, body moldings, lights, badges, ..... AND do a show quality paint job for 5K you might need to start lining up some medication for you pending disappointment.

Comment

Yes, minimize expectations to avoid disappointment.
                  My priority list looks like this; mechanicals, bodywork, paint.
                  ;D

Comment

Make it mechanically sound so it can make the Power Tour. Then paint it.

PS; Krylon is cheap. JK
                    OH YEAH
                    Long haul 07. 08. 10, 11, and 13. Looking forward to 2014

Comment

A $500 paint job by a shop is just going to make the next paint job even more expensive and it will need another believe me. $500 would just about cover the paint.

If you really want the paint you could save a load by doing the prep work yourself and just having the shop spray and color sand then re assemble your self.

Nothing worse than seeing poor quality paint and masking on a car. overspray and hard edges next to trim etc :'(

What is wrong with the paint? it might just need a proper compounding and polish

Comment

I had visions of a Candy Apple Red Fury for the 2009 PT dancing in my head, But the body work needed turned out to be a lot worse then it looked and took a lot longer than I planned for..... I did the tour in Primer Gray, and had a blast..... All our cars are always a work in progress....

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
                        1966 Plymouth Fury III
                        2014 Dodge Ram 1500
                        Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
                        Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by 66Fury3
                          ... But the body work needed turned out to be a lot worse then it looked and took a lot longer than I planned for.....
                          It always is my friend, it always is ...
                          :P

Comment

MAACO and drive it! millions of mustangs in that era.

Comment

Sell the car, combine the cash with the lottery winnings and buy a nice older Mustang already done. More interesting car, will hold its value, work is done. Late model Mustangs are a dime a dozen. No offense meant if you really. really like the car but I think this would be a good investment as well as a nice car to drive around. Simple mechanicls. easy to care for, easy to fix yourself.

Of course, I may be prejudiced.

Comment

Working...
                              X