Photo Posting & Avatar 101 Course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Posting & Avatar 101 Course

I've seen several members state that they would be interested in learning how to post pictures and/or have an avatar in their posts, so I thought I would try to help out.

PHOTO POSTING 101 COURSE
    To post pictures or setup your avatar on the forum, first you must have a photo hosting account (e.g. www.photobucket.com ), where you can download your pictures to. They are usually free accounts.

A full size image for posting in a thread should be no bigger than Large (640x480), to prevent the viewer from having to scroll across to see the right side of the picture.

Most of these sites have a resizing option that can be used appropriately for where you want to post it. On Photobucket, right below the Upload Images and Video button, is the text "Use CTRL to select multiple files (more options)", where by clicking the blue link "(more options)", you can setup the default picture size for all future uploads.
    Select Large (640x480) by clicking the associated button, then click the "SAVE" button at the bottom of the screen.

When you have an image on your hosting site and sized appropriately, then copy the URL (e.g: http://www.mypage.com/mypic.gif). In PhotoBucket, hover the curser over the picture you want to use.

A pop-up window will come up at the bottom of the picture with various types of codes.
    Move cursor down to the bottom box (IMG Code) and left click once in the white box.
    That will block (highlight) the code.
    Then copy that code (either right click and then click copy or just use CTRL+C)
    Come back to BangShift and paste the code in your new post dialog box (either right click and then click paste or just use CTRL+V).

At this stage, I will presume that you already know how to post regular pictures and how to edit and resize pictures from a photo hosting site (e.g. PhotoBucket). An avatar is only slightly different, but needs to be absolutely correct to work properly. You do not necessarily need to get a perfect 128 x 128 picture size, as the forum software will do some resizing if necessary. If the pic is not square, it will come out on the page looking squished or stretched.

An avatar image file needs to be either Tiny (100x75) or Small (160x120) and may take some experimentation to get just right.

On PhotoBucket, when you hover the curser over the picture you want to use, a pop-up window comes up at the bottom of the picture with various types of codes. Move cursor down to the second box down (Direct Link) code and left click once in the white box. That will block (highlight) the code. Then copy that code (either right click and then click copy or just use CTRL+C)

NOTE: the two major differences for the avatar from a picture are: the size and you must use the Direct Link box code in your Profile.

Next, go to the BangShift site and locate the "PROFILE" link in the red toolbar at the top of the board and left click once.

This takes you to your Profile page.
    In the "Modify Profile" gray box to the left of the screen, locate the "Forum Profile Information" link and left click once.

Now you can edit your profile information, which your avatar is the first section.
    Locate the third "button" down; I have my own pic: and click once so that a green indicator shows in the "button".
    Then copy your avatar image code in the text box after "Specify your own avatar by URL. (ex: http://www.mypage.com/mypic.gif)" (either right click and then click copy or just use CTRL+C).

Last step, but very important, when you are done editing your profile, scroll down to the bottom of the page and locate the button "Change Profile" and left click once.

DONE !!
    Any problems, just holler !!
    ;D

Re: Photo Posting & Avatar 101 Course

My good friend Denise (HotRodLadyCrusr) started a Photo Posting 101 thread in the General Discussion board,
    and while some of the procedures are outdated, still a lot of good, useful information.
    Worth checking out.
    ;)

Comment

Thanks for this thread Steve!....seems like i know denise from another site, but i can't remember where.
      Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

She is big on the HAMB and into the Traditional thing.
        Big Olds is painted purple and goes to the Detroit Auto-Rama all the time.
        ;)

Comment

I saw her at Ididit on the PT this year too.
          I R Bob
          You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
          2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning
            I saw her at Ididit.
            Ohdidyou? :D.
            "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

that's it....the H.A.M.B.....i don't post there much,but i read a lot. Saw a couple of the Alliance Members at the Longhorn Rod Run last week....also Dand38s....chevelle was looking good. 8)
              Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin
                Originally posted by BluLightning
                I saw her at Ididit.
                Ohdidyou? :D.
                HooDidWhat2Hoo&How?
                Phil / Omaha

Comment

Hope this thread helps some new members get their avatar going.
                  ;D

Comment

Matt (RAIV70Judge), read the first post and see if that will help you turn your Red X avatar into a picture !!
                    Any questions, just ask here and I'll help you get it going.
                    ;D

Comment

Thanks a million Steve!!Hopefully in a couple hours during lunch time I can get a picture up!!I'll let you know how it goes in a little while.Thanks again....
                      Matt
                      HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                      DW- 12,16,17
                      "Stay thirsty my friends"
                      The worlds most interesting man

Comment

I have tried and tried,but still can't get it to work.So I'll give it to my daughter to figure out.She is much better than me on a computer!!!HA!It amuses me that I can machine a replacement knee/hip, but can't conquer a simple task like posting a picture!Thanks again for the help,I'll get it done somhow!!!!
                        HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                        DW- 12,16,17
                        "Stay thirsty my friends"
                        The worlds most interesting man

Comment

Matt, Welcome to B.S. Give the job to Megan, she'll figure it out. I had a heck of a time when I first posted mine.

Jim
                          Jim & Maureen
                          There is a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!!
                          HRPT Long Haulers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013

Comment

Matt,
                            After re-reading my instructions, I realized that they were not as clear as they could be, so I re-wrote them and modified my original post with version 2, so have another look at them and see it that helps any.
                            Good luck and hopefully Megan will figure it out for you ...
                            ;)

Comment

Thanks Steve. Someone just asked me how to put a picture of their HRPT ride on here and now I can direct them to your post. My old method was telling my kids to do it.
                              Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Working...
                              X