Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blue Ridge Parkway Sat. Morning Details ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Ridge Parkway Sat. Morning Details ????

I have several local car guys who might join in............I just need an aprox start time ............and a place we can all meet

Any tentative plans for a departure time on Sat. Morning ? A central meeting place ?

We are all driving from the Maggie Valley Area about 30 min away. Can we all meet up right near the entrance to the Parkway on Hwy 441 ?

Barclay Outlet Store, Visitor Center, Go kart track all share a large parking lot just before you enter the Parkway on Hwy 441 ........any locals going plan on meeting up there.

Just need to know an aprox time ?

Re: Blue Ridge Parkway Sat. Morning Details ????

Originally posted by rack4u
    I have several local car guys who might join in............I just need an aprox start time ............and a place we can all meet

Any tentative plans for a departure time on Sat. Morning ? A central meeting place ?

We are all driving from the Maggie Valley Area about 30 min away. Can we all meet up right near the entrance to the Parkway on Hwy 441 ?

Barclay Outlet Store, Visitor Center, Go kart track all share a large parking lot just before you enter the Parkway on Hwy 441 ........any locals going plan on meeting up there.

Just need to know an aprox time ?
    since the entrance is not far from the hotel, i don't see why this is a problem. pm me your cell or give it to steve to add to the phone list and we can call you as we leave the hotel or what ever.
    Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

The other thread showed that most participants seemed happy with 8:30 departure, so that would be around 9 at your rezdevous place.

Woody suggested a deli lunch at one of the overlooks, which seems like a great idea.
      Here are the scenic overlooks and items of interest that I got from the BRP site:

DIRECTIONS:
      Leave Cherokee NC on US-19/US-441 BR and continue to follow US-19 N
      Right turn onto Blue Ridge Parkway
      Cherokee to Blowing Rock is BRP Milepost 469 - 295 (174 miles)
      Note: mileposts are located on West side of BRP.
      174 miles / 45 mph Speed Limit = 3.86 hours
      BRP to Boone additional 5 miles on US221 / US321

295.1 to 298 - Julian Price Memorial Park
      The former retreat of the insurance executive Julian Price, offers a variety of short trails and a 47-acre (190,000 m2) lake.

304.4 - Linn Cove Viaduct
      A design and engineering marvel, skirts the side of Grandfather Mountain. Visitor center and trails.

308.3 - Flat Rock
      Worth the walk for the superb view of Grandfather Mountain and Linville Valley.

316.3 - Linville Falls
      Roars through the dramatic rugged Linville Gorge. Trails to overlooks.

320.7 - Chestoa View
      Trail provides outstanding scenery.

331 - Museum of North Carolina Minerals
      Interprets the state's mineral wealth.

339.5 - Crabtree Meadows & Crabtree Falls
      Campground, Giftshop & Hiking Trails to Crabtree Falls.

355.4 - Mount Mitchell State Park
      Reached via N.C. 128, has a picnic area, lookout tower, and the highest point east of the Mississippi River.

361.2 - Glassmine Falls
      An 800-foot (240 m) ephemeral waterfall visible from an overlook on the side of the parkway.

363.4 to 369.6 - Craggy Gardens
      In the Great Craggy Mountains appear covered with purple rhododendron in mid to late June. Craggy Pinnacle Trail and other trails (364.1 and 364.6); road to picnic area and trails (367.6).

382 - The Folk Art Center
      Is the flagship facility of the Southern Highland Craft Guild. It offers sales and exhibits of traditional and contemporary crafts of the Appalachian region. Interpretive programs, three galleries, a library and a book store.

384 - The Blue Ridge Parkway Visitor Center
      Is the newest attraction along the Parkway. The building itself is LEED- certified and reflects the cutting edge of energy-saving technology. The Center houses a 70-seat theater showing an award-winning 24 minute film about the region. Information and orientation services are provided by the National Park Serivce and the Blue Ridge National Heritage Area. Eastern National has a retail shop offering books, apparel and more. There are several exhibits, including a 22-foot interactive map of the entire Blue Ridge Parkway known as the "I-Wall" which provides multi-media information on places to visit on and around the Parkway. Other exhibits focus on the history and heritage of the Parkway and Western North Carolina. Open year-round from 9am-5pm.

408.6 - Mount Pisgah
      Was part of the Biltmore Estate. The estate became home of the first forestry school in America and the nucleus of the Pisgah National Forest.

417 - Looking Glass Rock
      Is visible from many spots on the Parkway starting at Mount Pisgah.

418 - East Fork Overlook
      Located here are the headwaters of the Pigeon River. Yellowstone Falls is a short distance away and gets its name from the yellowish moss covering the rocks. You can find U.S. Forest Service trail access to Shining Rock Wilderness Trail system here.

420.2 - Shining Rock Wilderness
      Is the largest Wilderness in North Carolina with 18,483 acres (74.80 km2), 25 miles (40 km) of trails and peaks over 6,000 ft (1,800 m). The Wilderness is named for Shining Rock.

420.2 - Black Balsam Knob
      Is a grassy bald with panoramic views just outside of the Shining Rock Wilderness in Pisgah National Forest. The Wilderness also includes Cold Mountain.

422.4 - Devil's Courthouse
      Is a rugged exposed mountaintop rich in Cherokee traditions. A walk to the bare rock summit yields a spectacular view of Pisgah National Forest.

423.5 - Herrin Knob Overlook
      A hiking trail goes around Tanasee Bald and Herrin Knob. Tanasee Bald (423.7) is said to be the home of the mythical Cherokee giant Tsul 'Kalu.

431 - Richland Balsam's Self-guiding Trail
      Takes you through a remnant spruce-fir forest. Highest point on the parkway, 6,053 feet (1,845 m).

451.2 - Waterrock Knob
      Provides a panorama of the Great Smokies, visitor center, trail, comfort station, exhibits.

458.2 - Heintooga Overlook
      Spur road goes to a mile-high overlook 1.3 miles from the parkway.

469 - Southern End of the Blue Ridge Parkway
      Intersects with U.S. 441 in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and the Cherokee Reservation.

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
        The other thread showed that most participants seemed happy with 8:30 departure, so that would be around 9 at your rezdevous place.

Woody suggested a deli lunch at one of the overlooks, which seems like a great idea.
        Here are the scenic overlooks and items of interest that I got from the BRP site:
        Cool ! See you guys around 8:30 - 9:00

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
          Rezdevous ?

Comment

Steve,

Don't use those BIG words...You confuse me !

Main Entry: 1ren?dez?vous
            Pronunciation: \ˈr?n-di-ˌv?, -dā-\
            Function: noun
            Inflected Form(s): plural ren?dez?vous \-ˌv?z\
            Etymology: Middle French, from rendez vous present yourselves
            Date: 1582
            1 a : a place appointed for assembling or meeting b : a place of popular resort : haunt
            2 : a meeting at an appointed place and time
            3 : the process of bringing two spacecraft together

GOT IT ! See ya at the "Haunt"

Comment

Sorry David, after living in England for 2-1/2 years and Australia for 15-years, I often use terminology and slang from those cultures without even realizing it. The first sign that I have done so, is when the person I'm talking to gets this real puzzled expression and the lips silently mouth "WTF did he say" ?
              :D

This is the English, making fun of the French, with a derogatory use of their term,
              pronounced "Rez-de-view" !

I usually refer to the term in reference to meaning #3.
              ;D

Comment

Steve,

1 a : a place appointed for assembling or meeting b : a place of popular resort : haunt

Window licker !! ;D : :-[

Comment

Originally posted by jrfunnycar
                  Steve,

Window licker !! ;D : :-[
                  Go play on Face book or some girly Forum !

Comment

WOW!!! YOU GUYS HAVE TOO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS. ;D ;)
                    Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Working...
                    X