X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
    I would be a shame not to do a disc brake conversion since you have it that far apart! Not sure if you've ordered parts yet, but we got the fully assembled and painted Scott Drake stuff for our mustang and were pretty happy with it.
    The control arms are Scott Drake - the lowers seem very nice. Uppers due tomorrow.
    As to brakes - this is suppose to be my driver while I redo the truck - so a disk brake upgrade will have to include hydroboost, master cylinder, brake lines, wheels and tires on top of the actual disk brake kit. All this given my history would push that part of the upgrade to well over 3K if I go cheap on the wheels and tires. Nothing I am doing right now would be wasted - Wilwood has drum brake spindle kits.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    I would be a shame not to do a disc brake conversion since you have it that far apart! Not sure if you've ordered parts yet, but we got the fully assembled and painted Scott Drake stuff for our mustang and were pretty happy with it.

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Is this project scope or poor diagnostic skill?

My daily driver (66 Fairlane) developed a pull to the right with no recent trauma.
    So I jacked the car up and started a visual inspection. The wheel bearings / steering linkage all seemed tight. I did notice that the lower eccentric appeared to have moved (turned). So I loosened the adjuster and the lower control arm appeared to have some slope in it. Upon further inspection, I found a fairly used up LCA bushing

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2811.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	565.8 KB
ID:	1238713

So I figured what the heck - I will look at the other side just in case it is used up as well.
    After a couple of hours, I ended up at this point

Name:	IMG_2794.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	632.3 KB
ID:	1238714

Name:	IMG_2796.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	557.6 KB
ID:	1238715

So, I decided to clean things up a bit. And low and behold I found two new holes

Name:	IMG_2806.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	775.2 KB
ID:	1238716

And now that I have found those new holes, I decided to clean and inspect the parts to determine fitness of reuse.

Name:	IMG_2807.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	777.6 KB
ID:	1238717

After glass beading the upper control arms and finding both sides cracked at the spring perch / saddle mounting bolts (both bolts on both sides!). I decided perhaps new upper control arms was prudent. The theory was that the spring saddles caused this to happen over the life of the car (these parts appeared to be originals). And of course the spring saddles were shot so new and improved ones of those were put on the list. On to the lower control arms. SOMEONE decided to replace the lower ball joints with some that were almost correct - nothing drilling extra holes and elongating existing holes would not address. The boots were badly torn and while not toast, the joints themselves seemed loose. So now lower control arms are on the list. At this point, I decided to go all in and replace the springs and shocks.

So this job went from a front end alignment (slipped camber eccentric) to a complete suspension rebuild!

Leave a comment:

• stu yoakam
    replied
    Pondering why I spent four hours at an auction. The one thing I wanted sold almost last and went for way more than it should have.

Leave a comment:

• BluLightning
    replied
    Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
    also - laying them out in the sun to warm up first too - more pliable
    The seat and cover are nice and warm in the house.

Leave a comment:

• 70chevyC-10
    replied
    also - laying them out in the sun to warm up first too - more pliable

Leave a comment:

• smalblock
    replied
    Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post

hopefully they have some installation videos - -I've seen where people use a garbage bag (or some spray stuff) over the seatback to make the cover slide on easily and you leave it under the cover
    Good idea, Phil. I have used the garbage bags before and they work. I managed to get most of the bags out.

Leave a comment:

• 70chevyC-10
    replied
    Jim - you need to get taller or some platform snow boots !!

Leave a comment:

• 70chevyC-10
    replied
    Originally posted by BluLightning View Post

My bad Ed! They came from here.

https://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/
    hopefully they have some installation videos - -I've seen where people use a garbage bag (or some spray stuff) over the seatback to make the cover slide on easily and you leave it under the cover

Leave a comment:

• moparjim71
    replied
    Iím pondering how much more snow I can shovel. This is in front of the house.

Name:	AE998F7D-DFEB-4FC8-B6A8-E1491B87682A.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	1235071

Leave a comment:

• BluLightning
    replied
    Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post

Not bad, just misunderstood. Thx!
    I was going to say, I've got the best passenger seat cover....Donna!

Leave a comment:

• oletrux4evr
    replied
    Originally posted by BluLightning View Post

Not bad, just misunderstood. Thx!

Leave a comment:

• BluLightning
    replied
    I meant for the cover..........

Leave a comment:

• oletrux4evr
    replied
    I meant for the cover..........

Leave a comment:

• BluLightning
    replied

Let me know if you find a good source......
    The source is me and Donna. We have the new cover, it just magically has to get on the seat.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X