Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Things I am pondering today

Originally posted by cstmwgn
    So what good is she on tour if you can program the route into her?... I mean if all I get is somebody telling me what to do - then I can surely spend the money in other ways.
    Is there some wisdom you wish to share.......???
    a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Originally posted by arrowhead
      So what good is she on tour if you can program the route into her?... I mean if all I get is somebody telling me what to do - then I can surely spend the money in other ways.
      Is there some wisdom you wish to share.......???
      No grasshopper - it is wisdom I wish to gain

I was trying to decide if I was going to buy a GPS for this years tour. In past years I have used Streets and Trips on my laptop. But since the recent change in my employer I no longer have a radio modem so I can't connect to the world from the side of the road. What I would like to do is be able to work the route out on a software package on my laptop and then down load it into the GPS so it would have all the correct waypoints for the posted route.

It probably isn't a good decision either way as it most likely will be very difficult to hear in the wagon and as I demonstrated last year - being distracted while driving can lead to reshaped sheetmetal.

Just trying to learn.

Comment

Allen, I always had pretty good luck following the HRM directions and using the gps for emergencies. Now I don't have a choice but follow you fools so if you get lost, I'll be the one right behind you. ;D
        I R Bob
        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

I think there are a couple of GPS units that allow you to load the waypoints....Garmin makes one, as does Magellan. Jury is still out for us on this....I kinda like the 'map' method, but then it would be nice to have more technology aboard.
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

With our Tom Tom, I don't know if it is capable of having route downloaded from laptop or not (I know I'm not capable of that). However, by using series of waypoints and detours, it can be programmed for route you need on unit itself. Use of maps and GPS has minimized (but not eliminated) the getting lost factor. Besides, getting lost has its own rewards at times :o
            Donna
            Williamston, MI
            Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

We have a Delphi navigation GPS, It's a pretty basic system. We follow the HRM route and use maps. I put in the address of the Venue and confuse "Betsy in the Box" several times (due to the GPS calculates the shortest route) but she always recovers and recalculates. Mostly the GPS comes in handy for finding hotels and the way home. We got turned around in Cincinnati last year and "Betsy" got back on route. It is a worth while investment.
              200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
              Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

[quote=cstmwgn ]
                Originally posted by arrowhead

No grasshopper - it is wisdom I wish to gain

I was trying to decide if I was going to buy a GPS for this years tour. In past years I have used Streets and Trips on my laptop. But since the recent change in my employer I no longer have a radio modem so I can't connect to the world from the side of the road. What I would like to do is be able to work the route out on a software package on my laptop and then down load it

Just trying to learn.
                Ohh!.......uhh......while this is not what you necessarily you asked, it may help. On Audrey, I tell her the address of where I want to go and can also 'pre-set' her to provide different route types such as 'fastest', 'shortest', etc. While I am not suggesting you get an Audrey model, I find I am much more comfortable driving anyware - like 15 hours west towards the 'Wizard of Oz'

hmmm 'grasshopper'...I really am a grasshopper ;D

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

DON"T TRUST THE GPS!!!!! Just ask Jill and Chuck. ;D
                  It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

Before you can trust the GPS, you must first read and understand the instructions and be able to correctly operate the device !!
                    ;D

Comment

I'm getting a new Garmin Nuvi for the tour this year....the 750 has way points and a larger screen
                      Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
                        Before you can trust the GPS, you must first read and understand the instructions and be able to correctly operate the device !!
                        ;D
                        UNDERSTATEMENT!

Comment

Oh, so that is what happened. Well, at least I got to see Notre Dame's campus. ;D
                          It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

Triple A Autoclub plans

If you have the Plus plan with 4 100 mile tows a year - can you have the same car towed 400 miles in 4 days?

Comment

Triple A Autoclub plans

If you have the Plus plan with 4 100 mile tows a year - can you have the same car towed 400 miles in 4 days?

I would be inclined to say yes, as the towes apply to the card member and not the car. In my experience with the drivers for AAA they didn't really question me.
                              "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Why do deer run in front of moving cars that have their headlights on and are driving at a moderate speed (25 mph)?

A Donner ran in front of the Goat on the way home from work tonight causing just enough damage to require an appointment to the body shop (left front fender has some new bends) but not enough to stop the headlights from working. sheeeeesh :'(

Comment

Working...
                                X