Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• street72
    replied
    Very Nice Allen..I don't remember that hood, is it a stock hood? But I do like it either way..

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied
    Very clean car.

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Originally posted by cobra View Post
    ... is that the one you where talking about last time i was around?
    Hey Bruce - yes, it is the one we bought in Lake Mary back in February 17.

Here are a few pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0187.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	1239169

Name:	IMG_0191.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	1239172

Name:	IMG_0190.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	848.7 KB
ID:	1239173
    x

x

Name:	IMG_0193.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	961.1 KB
ID:	1239170

Name:	IMG_0194.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	966.2 KB
ID:	1239171

Leave a comment:

• cobra
    replied
    Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
    Chris - on my 66 Fairlane, the strut rods are adjustable. They don't use alignment shims on the upper control arm mount. With a 390 and stock cast iron exhaust manifolds, houdini couldn't loosen the nuts on the upper control arm bolts. I am replacing the stock serrated bolts with regular grade 8 bolts that I can tighten from the control arm side. I am going to put one 1/8" harden washer between the cross shaft and the shock tower in the front to get a bit more caster without having to pull the lower control arm too far forward. I am nervous about the spring deal but until I change out the little skinny tires I suspect I can get by.
    since i haven't been around awhile, how about posting some picks of the fairlane. is that the one you where talking about last time i was around?

Leave a comment:

• stu yoakam
    replied
    I did mine already. I need to do the body mounts and posi. Bound to get ugly. Might need a torch.

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied
    This stuff is fun, but I'm terrified to put my Vette up and start replacing the suspension bushings.
    Who knows where it will end ?

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Chris - on my 66 Fairlane, the strut rods are adjustable. They don't use alignment shims on the upper control arm mount. With a 390 and stock cast iron exhaust manifolds, houdini couldn't loosen the nuts on the upper control arm bolts. I am replacing the stock serrated bolts with regular grade 8 bolts that I can tighten from the control arm side. I am going to put one 1/8" harden washer between the cross shaft and the shock tower in the front to get a bit more caster without having to pull the lower control arm too far forward. I am nervous about the spring deal but until I change out the little skinny tires I suspect I can get by.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Parts!

Chris - those specs on your front alignment look very good to me. I am going to shoot for just a touch more caster - 3.0 - 3.5 and would tolerate up to -1 camber. The very bottom of the picture are a stack of plates and two bolts. These are the camber kit from opentracker racing. They give up to 5* camber adjustment and won't slip/change once the desired set are installed.

Did you do any before/after measurements on ride height after dropping the control arm mount?
    If I recall correctly, I was shooting for about what you are, but could only get as much as I did because so little was adjustable. The alignment guy did a great job with what he had to work with. I like your camber kit. Its great to lock stuff down like that. Are your strut rods adjustable too?

I don't have any before and after but I did use the original springs and needed to add a spacer to keep the wheels from rubbing. Granted the tires I used were wider than anything dad ever had on it. I ordered 1.5" spacers and got a little over an inch. After lowering the back last year (new springs) it sits about perfect. Front left still rubs the fender a tiny bit when turning just right.

Name:	IMG_2881 (2).JPG
Views:	28
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	1238835

Name:	IMG_2882 (2).JPG
Views:	25
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	1238836

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Originally posted by moparjim71 View Post
    Check with Laura at Espo Springs & Things. They do a lot of custom springs. I wanted my car higher so I ordered stock plus 2. Im sure there are other places too.
    Thanks Jim. I will make a note if I can't make what I have work. They do sell 1" isolators. I have a 3/8" issolator and the factory rubber ones (~1/8). I am trying to get this back together this weekend so IF I can't find the taller isolator locally, I will go with the 3/8" deal and try it out. I suspect if I do get to the point that i put real brakes and full size wheels and tires on it that I probably would be willing to address the spring height issues again then.

Leave a comment:

• moparjim71
    replied
    Check with Laura at Espo Springs & Things. They do a lot of custom springs. I wanted my car higher so I ordered stock plus 2. Im sure there are other places too.

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Parts!

Name:	IMG_2816.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	753.9 KB
ID:	1238827

Soooo, as with most of this stuff. It turns out Moog springs for a big block Fairlane are 3/4" shorter that the old sagged springs I had in the car! Most of the Fairlane vendors talked about their "go fast" springs being an 1" shorter - I now suspect they are just re-boxed Moogs. Now I have to decide if I can tolerate that much drop, Seems sort of silly to jump through hoops backwards to gain caster then give it back by dropping the front end too much.

Chris - those specs on your front alignment look very good to me. I am going to shoot for just a touch more caster - 3.0 - 3.5 and would tolerate up to -1 camber. The very bottom of the picture are a stack of plates and two bolts. These are the camber kit from opentracker racing. They give up to 5* camber adjustment and won't slip/change once the desired set are installed.

Did you do any before/after measurements on ride height after dropping the control arm mount?

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    As to brakes - this is suppose to be my driver while I redo the truck - so a disk brake upgrade will have to include hydroboost, master cylinder, brake lines, wheels and tires on top of the actual disk brake kit. All this given my history would push that part of the upgrade to well over 3K if I go cheap on the wheels and tires. Nothing I am doing right now would be wasted - Wilwood has drum brake spindle kits.
    I kind of figured you wanted to keep this one simple to focus on the truck, but it seemed wrong to not at least try to spend your money and blow up your scope even more.

We did the upper arm drop on our Mustang but lacked a baseline to compare to. Are you planning on stock alignment specs? We got the following out of ours:

Name:	IMG_5385.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1238816

That was with non-adjustable strut rods and no adjustment possible on the LCA pivot (stock setup). If we ever get that far back into it I'd change those to get better adjustability and consistency.

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
    How about a pick of the Fairlane and your truck -- share the love.
    Phil - take a look in the project section for the update on the truck

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Originally posted by htrdharley View Post
    Allen, the holes ( Usually 1" below the originals ) are commonly done to lower the front end of the car. A factory modification on Shelby Mustangs.
    Yes Lars, you are correct. 1" down and 1/8" back. I drilled the new holes - another failed attempt on my part at being a smartass!
    Hope it helps the feel of the car.
    Last edited by cstmwgn; March 29, 2019, 06:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 70chevyC-10
    replied
    How about a pick of the Fairlane and your truck -- share the love.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X