X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• corvettedad
    replied
    Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

It won't get any better! You need to retrieve it now and find someone else.
    What he said.

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Originally posted by Redline04

Fortunately I haven’t paid anything in advance, and I’m holding the parts myself until he says he’s ready to do my car next... does shop work after his regular job, which sometimes requires out of state travel (can confirm he does go to Minnesota a lot). Just can’t ever seem to get him to commit to when he can do it, or when he will be at the shop. The few times I’ve tried to set up a trip up there (GreenBay) he isn’t there, or not available those days...
    I’m just very frustrated, so maybe venting more than anything.
    It won't get any better! You need to retrieve it now and find someone else.

Leave a comment:

• Redline04
    replied
    Originally posted by stu yoakam View Post
    My el camino never got painted because they put quarters and wheel wells on it and left part of the old wheel under there. The clear coat on the roof has come off and the paint is not too good either. Windshield not perfectly centered so trim won't fit. Filled in holes for trim above the tail lights. I don't think they are around anymore.
    That’s a lot worse than what I’m frustrated with, at least so far... haven’t seen the car in a year though...

Leave a comment:

• stu yoakam
    replied
    My el camino never got painted because they put quarters and wheel wells on it and left part of the old wheel under there. The clear coat on the roof has come off and the paint is not too good either. Windshield not perfectly centered so trim won't fit. Filled in holes for trim above the tail lights. I don't think they are around anymore.

Leave a comment:

• 67 Malibu
    replied
    Originally posted by Redline04
    ... how do you handle a restoration shop that is difficult to get contact with? Elusive at best. Takes days to return messages, says will call in a day or two, then doesn’t respond again. Claims to be working out of state, rarely around the shop (his “part time job-hobby”). Supposed to be a great guy and awesome mechanic, but can’t get him to do the work or commit to a time frame... I’d just go get the car and give up on him, but he’s 3 hrs away, and I can never tell if he’s around, or not.
    That's not a restoration shop. " Claims to be working out of state, rarely around the shop (his “part time job-hobby”)." Thats someone that wants to be a restoration shop but doesn't have the self-discipline to do the work. Especially if they have been paid anything up front. If he is really "a great guy", he will not have any problem with you picking up the car & moving on. If he owes you any money, get the car FIRST & then you can take him to court for that if you want to. Either way you will be a lot happier with the car safe & sound at home.

I went through that a couple of times with cars. I learned that it is very hard to get anyone that has another job to maintain any kind of a schedule on the car. One guy had my '57 for the better part of ten years just to put new rear quarters on. He had actually done the quarters & painted my '65 El Camino when he worked at a local body shop. Then he went to work for Duncan Aviation. In that ten years he had been promoted to supervisor of the paint shop. So he was busy & so was I. But I did know him to be a good guy. When I found a shop that would do the car he was actually relieved when I told him that I was going to take the car back & take it to them. Next time that you talk to him ask him point-blank how much he has done, what you owe him (if he has done anything), & tell him that you will come & get the car & pay him anything that you owe him. If he has actually done anything. Keep us posted on this one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X