Things I am pondering today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
    Thinking about trying a street demon on my next project...: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dem-1903
    I like the idea.
    Is 750cfm too much for a slightly built 403? Previous owner installed a pretty steep cam, roller rockers and headers. Also has a 12 bolt rear, 4.11 gears and homemade subframe connectors... could be more than slightly built?
    '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
    '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
    79 Trans Am project
    ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

• Originally posted by Redline04 View Post
      The 10+yr old Holley carb on the TA is crap... rebuild, replace (I prefer Edelbrock personally) or swap to EFI?
      Is it a square or spread bore?
      Are the throttle shafts tight?
      Is the base flange flat?

A renew kit is probably somewhere between $30 - $50 (Trick Kits a little more). Could be an economical approach to see if you need a "different" fuel mixer.

If you do decide to go with a new carb, I have always liked Vacuum Secondary Holleys for street driven vehicles. You can tailor the secondaries to come is as quickly as you like to balance your need for economy over performance.

I have never been much of a carter/edelbrock fan but you should use what works best for you.

Comment

• My 403 is stock as far as I know. It certainly performs like it is. It sports a Quadrajet and I'm pretty sure it's a 750 cfm. It is a spread bore.
        Recently rebuilt it, and it's not too bad of a job with all the info available online.
        Last edited by oletrux4evr; June 6, 2020, 04:53 AM.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• I agree with Allen. I have had great experiences with vacuum secondary Holleys like the #3310. Street Avengers are pretty good too. My 69 Dart GTS ran in the 11’s with a 3310 on a mild 340. Surprised a lot of Chevys.
          Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Is the base flange flat?

A renew kit is probably somewhere between $30 - $50 (Trick Kits a little more). Could be an economical approach to see if you need a "different" fuel mixer.

If you do decide to go with a new carb, I have always liked Vacuum Secondary Holleys for street driven vehicles. You can tailor the secondaries to come is as quickly as you like to balance your need for economy over performance.

I have never been much of a carter/edelbrock fan but you should use what works best for you.
            If I were to go for a Holley, I would go for the Spread bore https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-0-80555c I ran one of these on my 70 SS396 back in the day...
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Is the base flange flat?

Motor has an Edelbrock Olds 350 performer intake on it already. Really hard to tell what the full performance changes made by previous owners. Visuals tell some info, at idle it sits about 1300rpm, drop in gear and it barely holds a very lumpy 600 rpm, almost no vacuum for brakes. Hit the gas and it goes like h*!!
              Current issue is that it suddenly wants to start very hard and won't hold idle/stay running. Seems to be related directly to the old holley carb.
              The Holley street demon seems a safe bet, they offer both a 625cfm and 750cfm version. Supposedly the original q-jets in the TA's were all about 800cfm, so which to go with?
              Has a very old double pumper in it now.
              '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
              '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
              79 Trans Am project
              ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

• Here is what I might put on it if it was mine

Free Shipping - Quick Fuel Brawler Race Series Carburetors with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Carburetors at Summit Racing.

But this one might be better for living in cold country
                Free Shipping - Quick Fuel HR-Series Carburetors with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Carburetors at Summit Racing.

Free Shipping - Quick Fuel Brawler Diecast Series Carburetors with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Carburetors at Summit Racing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redline04 View Post

Motor has an Edelbrock Olds 350 performer intake on it already. Really hard to tell what the full performance changes made by previous owners. Visuals tell some info, at idle it sits about 1300rpm, drop in gear and it barely holds a very lumpy 600 rpm, almost no vacuum for brakes. Hit the gas and it goes like h*!!
                  Current issue is that it suddenly wants to start very hard and won't hold idle/stay running. Seems to be related directly to the old holley carb.
                  The Holley street demon seems a safe bet, they offer both a 625cfm and 750cfm version. Supposedly the original q-jets in the TA's were all about 800cfm, so which to go with?
                  Has a very old double pumper in it now.
                  Street Demon 625 and a tuning kit... the vacuum secondaries will make it easier to keep it streetable... may have to adjust the jetting and the secondary opening... I have included the tuning link, it is a good read that answers many questions: https://documents.holley.com/lit701rev10.pdf
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Car show gets cancelled only to be replaced by a different one on the same day in the same location. Smaller and no cruise night.

Comment

• I'm pondering if there will be any car shows, cruise in's or Power Tour this year
                      Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                      The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

• Lemons race got bumped by NHRA event which has since been cancelled/postponed. So why can't we have the Lemons race? Just like biggest car show of the year gets cancelled but somebody else is having one in the same location on the same day to "make up for it"?

Comment

• Hot Rod is on extended vacation. It's evidently contagious.
                          Last edited by oletrux4evr; August 13, 2020, 12:55 PM.
                          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Getting demoted at work because I can't do 16 hours of work a day. Can't wait til their replacement fails just as bad or they can't keep somebody for more than a month. My manager has two days to write the schedule for two weeks from now and they hadn't even told her what was going on yesterday. Two more people quit. One leaves today and the other in less than two weeks. I wonder if they don't have somebody they want to give the job to? IDK seems to me nobody wants it. My vacation got cancelled last week. If they don't put it on my check they have to reschedule it or just screw you out of it. They shouldn't promise five weeks a year if they can't give it to you.

Comment

• I love retirement
                              Donna
                              Williamston, MI
                              Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

• Store manager quit to go work for the competition. Got a big offer. Thinking of getting new tires for the el camino. Fronts are fine only 2 -3 years old but back tires were used from a swap meet and date stamp says 10 years if I read it right. Car has sat for two years. Back tires are 255s but could get 235-245. I think fronts are either 195 or 215. Wheels are old school Camaro 15s. Tempted by 5 spokes for $115 on Jegs website. Probably wouldn't get here by Saturday though. Would have to pay for mounting. $$$ Looked again. It says 1603 or April 2003? IDK hard to believe they're that old.
                                Last edited by stu yoakam; September 14, 2020, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X