Things I am pondering today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things I am pondering today

I've thought about going South too, but there isn't much car activity down there......I would rather tough out the winters and have the other three seasons for cruisin'. If I get to where I can't hack the winters, we can always migrate down to FL or TX or AZ, and cruise year-round.....

Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr
      I've thought about going South too, but there isn't much car activity down there.....
      That is the only reason I am still here - I am not sure I can walk away from it all.
      If I go it would mean getting rid of all my car stuff so if it didn't work out there wouldn't be anything to come back to.
      I guess you could have some fun with a cigarette boat but I am pretty sure one of those is out of my league.

I would like to find a cabana boy job at one of the clothing optional beaches to help me past the time of day.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn
        I would like to find a cabana boy job at one of the clothing optional beaches to help me past the time of day.
        [/quote]

I knew when I saw the Heading of this Thread where it was going
        but original post didn't have IT.

Off to the Islands

Sure No Big Deal Selling Wagon

or PICK'MUP Truck

Go for a lonnnnng Drive stop....... at a Bowling Alley(womens league) or a Laundromat and try and make new friends,

also farmers markets OK but don't stop at Flea Market's unless you are in Palo Alto or West Palm.
        Just Trying to Help
        boob

COLD here today

And I wish I was living warmer in weather NOW.

bob

Comment

Allen....have you nthought of stepping up to Northern Tool....the tools are a little better quality and are maroon or red. 8)
          Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

Morning Boob(y)

I originally posted those questions after assembling the new shop press I bought at Harbor Freight.
            But you are right about the fact that I can't seem to let go of this latest fantasy about relocating to the Caribbean.

With that said, I have moved on from the press assembly joy to ponder an older often asked and never answered question - why is it so hard to get the right parts (either the parts you ordered or parts that fit/work)?

Did you figure out your power steering pumping issues?

Comment

because parts are no longer sold by knowledgeable people....if you cant punch the factory part number in the computer the 20 year old frigtard can't help you.....but will order the first thing that comes up on the screen.
              Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

Originally posted by 173rdherd
                Allen....have you nthought of stepping up to Northern Tool....the tools are a little better quality and are maroon or red. 8)
                I have a Northern Tools catalog. I will try to remember to check them out the next time I need to purchase equipment.

Originally posted by 173rdherd
                because parts are no longer sold by knowledgeable people....if you cant punch the factory part number in the computer the 20 year old frigtard can't help you.....but will order the first thing that comes up on the screen.
                I hear you there.

If I am buying parts from a local parts house I almost always do my research before I go so I don't get the privilege of driving back to the auto parts store to try again. But it goes farther than that - the manufacturer also contribute to the problem by either being overly optimistic about their product (either in what it does, how it does it or what it fits) or by mis-packaging (which perhaps is the results of cost cutting measures). I will be sending some parts back to Summit in the morning because the manufacturer put the wrong parts in the box or put the wrong part number on the box - I guess it depends on how you look at it. Either way, I get to wait a couple of weeks to get the right parts and pay to ship the wrong stuff back.

I know that these things are part and parcel to the hot rodding / car crafting hobby and perhaps what makes successfully completing an upgrade / modification so rewarding. I have more stuff scheduled to arrive Monday and Tuesday so I am sure that I will have something to bitch about later this week as well.

Comment

Cstmwgn

Did Summit make it right?

what are you pressing?, axle bearings etc
                  what went wrong with press assembly?

I just brought a 7" gear puller at Harbor Freight for $11 to remove my power steering pulley,

i do use a HF Transmission scissors jack that works great for me for $+-40

Bob

I just counted Drag Week 09 Time Slips....37 for week
                  Slips before Drag Week with 200 4R..... 22
                  Probably another few on Highway....
                  and +-4000 miles

Comment

Originally posted by 1956NY150
                    Cstmwgn

Did Summit make it right?
                    They will - Summit is pretty good about taking anything back as long as you send it back in a timely fashion. The stuff just came on Saturday so if I send it back on Monday there shouldn't be any questions. They have in the past also paid for freight when it was their fault. My concern is - what are the chances that I got the only mis-packaged box of 60lb door solenoids? I haven't been very successful getting someone at Summit to actually look at the part and verify that it is packaged correctly so if this is a bad batch of mislabeled stuff then I could be doing this again (a few times).

I sent an email the the manufacturer and will call them at 9:00am CST tomorrow to talk with them before I go to the post office to return the parts to Summit. I am just glad that I stopped and did some more research instead of just going ahead and installing them to later find out that they weren't the correct parts. Fortunately, it isn't critical so I can wait to get it worked out.

what are you pressing?, axle bearings etc
                    what went wrong with press assembly?
                    Yeah - all the typical shade tree / hobbyist stuff - bearings on axles, pinions, carriers; u-joints; spindle bushings (need to do king pins on the farm truck), any other weird ass stuff that I tend to think up.

It was the little 12 ton floor press model. It uses U-channel for the uprights and a welded set of U-channels for the top bar. Instead of using separate bolts (8 - 1/2" x 1") it used through bolts (4 - 1/2" x 4") to attach the top bar to the side channels. This by itself would not have been the end of the world but the U-channel did not fit snugly into the top bar. You know me - so I shimmed it with washers and tightened down the bolts the U-channel deflected more than I wanted. I went to Lowe's bought 8 - 1/2" x 1" bolts, washers and nuts and bolted it together. It feels very solid now which will makes me happy.

I just counted Drag Week 09 Time Slips....37 for week
                    Slips before Drag Week with 200 4R..... 22
                    Probably another few on Highway....
                    and +-4000 miles
                    Have you talked to Art yet?
                    Are you going to send it back for inspection and repair or just add it to your pile of stuff?

Comment

Your problem with parts from Summit remind me of a problem I have with Enco. A while back I bought a 6" x 89" belt sander for about $700 (I want something big for surfacing headers and other longer items I weld up) and after assembling it I found a problem. They use an eccentric to lock the unit in relation to the table for fixing the angle of the belt. The piece is actually a pointed piece that no way can be used to lock or unlock the tilt, so I called their tech people and after an hour of describing the piece and how it works, they agree that it should be a cam not a point. The piece hadn't been fully machined. They agree to order a new one, and a couple days later I get a bill. I call and remind them it is a new machine, they change it to no cost. The part has to be ordered from China so it will take about 4 months. No problem, I'll wait. The part came in the other day, guess what - it's a pointed block, just as useless as the one on the machine. Oh well, I'll fixture it up on my mill and swing an arc on it so it works like it is supposed to. Otherwise I love the sander, just hate the little 1" cube of metal that is supposed to hold everything in place.

Comment

I bought a pair of axles from Jegs not too long ago and when I opened the box, one of them was correct and the other one was for a completely different application. I called and originally they wanted me to return the set at my expense and charge me a restock fee. I advised the "customer service rep" that was no going to happen it was their screw up I didn't order the wrong part, they sent the wrong part I also told him that it would be more economical for them to send me the correct axle and I would then return the wrong one. For some reason, the guy couldn't get his head wrapped around it. It took me ten minutes to explain it. Then I would have a correct set and they would have the wrong one to match up with the other one that someone else is sure to return also. Gheeez.
                        Jim & Maureen
                        There is a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!!
                        HRPT Long Haulers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013

Comment

Probably someone else received the same incorrect parts and returned them......so, they just send them out to the next poor sucker. fedex and ups love it.

allen go buy a quality tool! it will save many hours of disappointment and aggravation. it doesn't need to be snap-on to be decent.

btw. i will not accept a package that is retaped.... needs factory seal or tape or i reject it; same from parts store cause someone brought it back and most likely took or left that important little part out of the packsge. >

Comment

I am pondering today:

Is there going to be 92 or 93 Octane Gasoline along the long haul?

Comment

I'm pondering today if it is ever going to warm up here. It is freaking cold here!!!
                              It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

More Pondering

Who the HELL decided we needed to import Canadian air?

Comment

Working...
                                X