First Timer... Bringing Grandson???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Timer... Bringing Grandson???

Hey folks... thanks for helping me with my first question. I plan on making 3-5 stops and will have one or two of my Grandsons, 11 and 15, with me. Is this a family friendly tour?? Are there any activities geared toward the younger kids/teens??? Thanks again for your help. PS: If you have a chance "tour" my website and hot cars at http://www.Classic-CarStore.com Jim .... hoping to bring my '72 SS 454 on the tour if I haven't sold it!

Re: First Timer... Bringing Grandson???

Welcome, Jim!

We will probably have our 13 year old grandson with us. If the boys are into hot rods they won't need much else to entertain them. Enjoy the power tour, it's addicting.

Linda 8)

Comment

If I was their age and my Grandfather took me on Powertour I would have thought I had the coolest Grandpappy around. Good for you! Also, you will be responsible for their ensuing addiction to cars. As long as you can live with that you'll be okay. :P

On the way to Bowling Green you may consider going by Louisville and take them to Kentucky Kingdom. There are plenty of family oriented activities in Chattenooga as well. They have a nice science museum, aquarium, and some natural wonders. The same with Birmingham and Mobile.
      Powertour off/on since 2002
      sigpic

Comment

take the kids

teach them early

great idea
        2007 Power Tour Long Haul
        2008 Power Tour Long Haul
        2009 Canadian Points East Tour
        2009 Power Tour Michigan Stop
        2011 Power Tour Muskegeon & Detroit Stops
        2012 Power Tour Long Haul
        2012 Northeast Rod Run
        2013 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

I agree with the rest, take the kids they will enjoy it.
          It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

My daughter (Kate) was 14 on her first tour and she enjoyed it very much. Be sure to bring their electronics and chargers so they can entertain themselves in the hotel room while you are hanging out in the parking lots in the evening.

Comment

I agree with the other guys, but kids will get bored, so I would plan one or two excursions away from the Tour that they want to do. Like someone said, there are lots of choices. Sometimes side adventures are are a high point in the Tour . . . Like the two story outhouse . . . well maybe not all side trips.

My guess is y'all will have a good enough time that they will be talking about the trip all summer long.

Looking for a side trip to a "Dancing Bar" DTB

p.s. I am already saving my "George's" !

DTB - RETIRED

Comment

Not all of my grandkids (12) are hooked but the 5 year old boy is already. He doesn't miss the opportunity to ride in Grandpas or Grandmas hot rods. Faster grandpa, faster!!!
                Jim & Maureen
                There is a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!!
                HRPT Long Haulers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013

Comment

My Grandpa used to take me to poker games when I was younger, He would keep me entertained by flipping me a nickel for getting him a beer. Sometimes I'd walk out with more money than him.
                  Originally posted by TC
                  also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

They can race their pinewood derby cars too - see link elsewhere.
                    Phil / Omaha

Comment

Jim, did I read that right 12 grandkids!!! Man I thought I was gettin old with only 2. One is 6 and loves motorcycles and can't wait to ride on the Harley, the other only loves his bottle he is only 4 months, but I'll bet he will love cars.
                      It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

We don't have kids, but I would agree, have them drag along probably a playstation, etc. for the evenings in the hotel room.

I would say though...bringing them along sounds like a good deal man, start them young into real cars, and show 'em not everyone drives a tin can 4 popper!
                        As far as a side trip...still car related, but I would say the Corvette plant in Bowling Green would probably make them wide eyed a bit.

Andrew
                        1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                        2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Welcome along Jim!!If your Grandkids are good with the electronic gadgets, they could always fill in time with taking pictures and maybe using a digital camcorder to film with and make a short film to show the rest of the family and friends the ultimate in automotive fun!!
                          HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                          DW- 12,16,17
                          "Stay thirsty my friends"
                          The worlds most interesting man

Comment

Good Point!
                            Giving the kids a camcorder, being able to let them record some of the sights and sounds...I would think that would be a killer idea to get them involved!
                            Andrew
                            1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                            2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

I LOVE the idea of letting them "shoot" the tour from their perspective!! Its amazing what kids see and you dont! A couple of disposable cameras AND a video camera would be a blast that way they can make a scrapbook or something to show friends and the video could be for family. ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X