Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trip home From Mobile. What way are you headed? Wife wants to stop @ New Orleans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip home From Mobile. What way are you headed? Wife wants to stop @ New Orleans

I didn't want to bring this up, but one of my concessions I must make to the wife, is she wants to stop off in New Orleans for a Po' boy shrimp sandwhich. Maybe drive through the french quarter on the way back.

I have a stupid complex about large cities I know nothing about, and I want to just motorvate home after Alabama but am going to give into her request because she's the one that suggested PT this year in the first place!

Anyone else headed due west toward New Orleans?
    I really have a stupid complex about getting lost, plus I am going to be driving a banana yellow Torino. Looking for suggestions on where to go for really good local food.

We need to be home by Monday evening, and just don't want to take a huge detour if I can help it.

I planned on going due west to New Orleans and hammered due north to hook into I-29.
    Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Re: Trip home From Mobile. What way are you headed? Wife wants to stop @ New Orleans

You know you can get a really nice Garman for ~100 dollars. To me thats much better than the arguments my wife and I would get into about being lost. Now I can just blame the garman.
    Powertour off/on since 2002
    sigpic

Comment

Re: Trip home From Mobile. What way are you headed? Wife wants to stop @ New Orleans

I'd be lost without my Tom-Tom........ literally ! ;D

We'll probably head home after the long hauler awards. If we stop anywhere it will be Vicksburg. I love the history of this city and the battlefield really tugs at my heart. I have ancestors who fought and died there. If you leave those hallowed grounds with a dry eye, you don't have a soul in my opinion.

Visit Vicksburg if you can, out of respect if for no other reason.

Dean

Comment

Those of us coming out from CA are planning on hitting new orleans on our way out, you are welcome to join us
        Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

Re: Trip home From Mobile. What way are you headed? Wife wants to stop @ New Orl

Sweet, always love company on the way in or back home.
          Got one of our Company sales guys that covers that area of the country giving me a couple suggestions...ii it bad I sort of want to see what 2.75:1 gearing and a top loader will do on stretch of open interstate with a mild ;D 351c?

Andrew

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Originally posted by bishir
            You know you can get a really nice Garman for ~100 dollars. To me thats much better than the arguments my wife and I would get into about being lost. Now I can just blame the garman.
            I agree about saving arguements with my wife. also remember a GPS is way more then how to get someplace. There is so much extra info available with them. I'm partial to Garmin. here are a few things I learned. the 2x5 series (205,255,265,275) has some great capabilities.
            The ~100 that was talked about is really good if you have never had a GPS before, but don't go over board & get something with all the bells & whistles if you don't know how to use them.
            Also when you learn the new things you can do, you can pass it off to some one in your family or suggest that model for Birthday's Christmas, Valentines day
            If there is a letter "W" means a wide ie 4x3 inches as opposed to the 2.5.
            If there is a letter "T" means it has "free" traffic built in (with the special cable)
            This year the 255WT was about 120 @ Bestbuy, it does soo much.
            I'm still using my 205 from a few years ago & gave old (I had it a year) 200 to my poor broke brother
            So. Central PA
            Long Hauler 2010 & 2011 (2 stops 2014) 2015

NERR 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Comment

I'm willing to bet there will be more cars with a GPS than without this year.
              My plan it to head east a little and spend a few days on the gulf coast. I'll probably wind up somewhere between Gulf Shores AL and Destin FL. If you have not been to the beaches on the gulf coast you are missing out. Spend an extra day or two and make the leading lady happy. Take a break from the driving for a day or so, then hammer home!

Comment

I tried to get an extra day off from work, but go the veto from my boss.
                :'(
                Can't complain however, as I am taking Friday the 5th off to get my final prep done, and then not due back until Tuesday at work on the 15th.
                I foreseen a very severe case of PTWR {power tour withdrawl and recovery} causing atleast another two weeks of disfunction for me.

I am going to try to scoot away with the wife to a local beach if I can help it. Never set foot in an ocean or the gulf.
                Closest I came was when I drove to California and got to basically Sacremento to pick up my GTS body shell for parts from a buddy. I did not have the extra day to get to step foot in the pacific. Wife was bummed about that one, and I need to make it up to her.
                Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Eliteman76
                  I foreseen a very severe case of PTWR {power tour withdrawl and recovery} causing atleast another two weeks of disfunction for me.
                  Oh no !!! I thought waiting for the HRPT was stressful enough (altho the BangShift boards are really funny).
                  Now I have to work on post pardum PTWR : At least I know there is a cure, going to BangShift
                  So. Central PA
                  Long Hauler 2010 & 2011 (2 stops 2014) 2015

NERR 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Comment

Eliteman, Did I read that right, you have never been to a beach? :o Where are you at? I live in central NC and have family at the coast. I have to go "check on the water" at least every other month. When tour started in Lincoln NB in '02 I remeber thinking to myself that I have never been that far away from a beach. Maybe we can find you some salt-water down near Mobile.
                    Non-denominational car nut.
                    Ten Time Long Hauler! 2001-2011
                    Do you go all the way?

Comment

Re: Trip home From Mobile. What way are you headed? Wife wants to stop @ New Orl

Impala guy, yup, pretty much not see anything bigger than lake michigan, when I was in Chicago a few years back.
                      Oh, and I know it's stupid, but it's NE, not NB fer Nebraska!
                      Sitting in Omaha...the chances of getting to a Ocean is slim to none... ;D

Hell...on the weekends I try to find a two lane back road and just burn a tank of gas in the Torino for fun.
                      Andrew

Comment

we'll be headed back west on our way back to fort worth after the tour is over. haven't thought about where we're going to stay on saturday night but i'll have to be back at work on monday.

my wife got me a garmin gps for christmas this year just for trips like the power tour. i haven't been very many places that i don't know how to get there since i got it so i've just been playing with it while i drive around for work. it seems to be pretty good for where i've been going so far. it does have ALOT of extra features that are helpful other than just directions.

Comment

I wouldn't mind stopping there for a meal, but the room rates are quite high, and parking is a major concern in the French Quarter. Last time I was there we parked in the hotel garage (run down elevator that the car barely fit into). Others had to park a couple blocks down in a public lot. That area wasn't made for a lot of people visiting by car.

Do you have any suggestions where we could meet for dinner? I do know there are a couple places by the water with decent parking.

Comment

Originally posted by Impala_Guy
                            Eliteman, Did I read that right, you have never been to a beach? :o Where are you at? I live in central NC and have family at the coast. I have to go "check on the water" at least every other month. When tour started in Lincoln NB in '02 I remeber thinking to myself that I have never been that far away from a beach. Maybe we can find you some salt-water down near Mobile.
                            Maybe we can send him some salt water taffy to hold him over til then ;D
                            Donna
                            Williamston, MI
                            Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

On the French Quarter...I don't know if we are going to have that kind of time to putz around, to be brutally Honest.
                              I want to say I will make the time for my wife to make the girl in my life happy, so I dunno. Playing it by ear.
                              I am completely clueless though so I have not a clue for someplace to have some good eats.
                              I will say this much...never had true southern grits. I want some. with bacon.
                              ;D

On the GPS, both our smart phones have GPS, but I may have to see about picking up a garmin or similar unit.
                              On the fence on that one, but going to maybe check around. I need tires for my GTS, so the garmin may be left off the packing list.
                              Tires...paint...crap, did I mention I still need to see about what the heck I am doing for my trim work.
                              :o
                              As far as salt water taffy, hell yes!
                              Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X