Side Trips/Attractions Near Host Cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side Trips/Attractions Near Host Cities

I'm thinking out-loud here, but I thought a nice thread about attractions near our host cities might be helpful to someone. Feel free to add:

Newton, IA: I hear there is a Speedway there. Probably a cornfield too.

Springfield, IL There is sure to be a cornfield around here too, maybe soybeans. Lincoln's house perhaps?

Du Quoin Garden of the Gods in nearby and it has a cool rock outcrop.

Bowling Green Corvette Plant, Corvette Museum, Cool old dragstrip, I-65 and probably our first Waffle House heading South. Seriously, if you get a chance to take a trip to Mammoth Cave do it. It's not far from here.

Chattanooga SEE RUBY FALLS! Yes, it's here. Also you may be surprised to find that Chattanooga has one of the worlds (if not THE) largest fresh water aquariums. It's a great stop for the kids and they also have a pretty nice Science center also located downtown. Downtown is also pretty pedestrian friendly if you want to get out and stretch.

Birmingham: Visit the Vulcun for a great view of downtown. http://www.visitvulcan.com/ Not only will you get the view, but you'll find out a little about the history of this area and why Birmingham was so important to our country's past. Birmingham also has a pretty decent Zoo. The Birmingham Botanical Gardens is nearby as well and pretty nice. Last I recall it was free which is the best price. It's nearby one of the nicer sections of town with some good shopping and house gazing. I suggest if you're traveling with a lady you stay somewhere near the Galleria mall that night. She can get some shopping in and you'll already be South of town for the home stretch.

Sidetrip: Learn some more history by taking a trip through Selma, AL and follow the Martin Luther King Trail back to Montgomery.
    Once you get to Montgomery just keep on driving. It's full of politicians and thugs: sorry for being redundant.

Mobile: Well, there is Battleship park which we're already going to visit. They is a ton of good seafood if you're a seafood fan. Gulf Shores, Daulphin Island, and Orange Beach are nearby. Across the Bay is Fairhope which is a neat little town you'd like to check out. It's also home to the Grand Resort: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...-club-and-spa/ Surprise your lady with a trip there after the tour. It would be a nice way of saying thanks.

Powertour off/on since 2002
    sigpic

Re: Side Trips/Attractions Near Host Cities

You may want to look at http://www.bangshift.com/forum/index.php?topic=16121.0

Comment

I personally will be looking forward to Springfield, IL just to see the cornfields & the soybeans. well for now
      So. Central PA
      Long Hauler 2010 & 2011 (2 stops 2014) 2015

NERR 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Comment

I see them all the time, I only live about 45 miles from Springfield. ;D
        It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

I'm with Solsticefun. I live about 40 miles south of him. Corn and beans are boring!
          Bring on the mountains!

Comment

Working...
          X