GTA axle bearing replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTA axle bearing replacement

Just a question for some of you that are more mechanically inclined than i am. One of my GTA Trans Am's has an axle bearing making a racket. I've never pulled one of these but dont think its that difficult but wanted some advice from those that have. My understanding is to pull the rear diff cover and there will be a "pin"? or horseshoe type u shaped bracket that locks the axle in place?

After removing that, the axle should pull out with an axle puller? My local napa shop said they could press the bearing on/off.

Tell me I am screwed up or close to being on? Thanks in advance. When I bought the car, the owner thought it was the rear end unit but I drove it back from Vegas to Big Bear and i am pretty sure its a bearing.

Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Re: GTA axle bearing replacement

Doug,

I'm not sure what rearend you have in that car. However, if you go to the forums at Performance Years and scroll down to the Firebird tech section, I'm sure you'll be able to find the answer you seek!

Comment

If it has rear discs it the 9 bolt borg- warner rear .

Comment

Yes sir, it is the 9 bolt. I will check out performance years and see what I can find. Any experts out there to lend some advice?

Comment

I'm not an expert but unless your concerned with it having a # matching rear I would swith it for a 10 bolt out of the 4th gen f-body . 9 bolts really aren't any stronger than the 10 bolts from the 3rd gen and parts are hard to find since it was built down under. Also your stuck w/the 3.23 or 3.26 gear. I like mine and want to keep it for those reasons but if it takes a dive its history probably a 12 bolt for the GTA and a 9" for the formula . You don't want a 9" in a car that you want refinement in that has a torque arm fitted to the front because of noise /vibrations from what I understand.

Comment

i have ran 12's launching with slicks and nitrous...they aren't that bad of diff... but if it is an axle bearing then u don't have to pull the cover. take the brakes off the back and undo the 4 bolts and pull it out. if you find a diff out of a 5 speed they had 3.45s. the one with 327s would be great for power tour. i just did one for a guy. they run a taper stlye axle bearing, also the seals are different side to side. u have to press on the bearing and the sleeve that helps hold it. once u have the axle out and bearing off put on the old axle retaining flange (the one that the 4 bolts go through) then the seal, then the bearing and then the bearing retaining ring. the 4th gen rear ends are wider so if you put one of those u will need new rims.

Comment

Mr. Bastard, thats what I was looking for. Someone who had done the job before. Thanks, I appreciate the info. Looks like I have a project set for this weekend now.

Comment

Originally posted by bearphoto
                Mr. Bastard, thats what I was looking for. Someone who had done the job before. Thanks, I appreciate the info. Looks like I have a project set for this weekend now.
                no problem

Comment

Ok Mr. Bastard, I guess I need some more help. I pulled the axle like we discussed and the bearing/race seems to be fine. I have not pulled the right side out to check that one yet but......

So would you recommend pulling the right axle out and checking that bearing before pulling the diff cover to check for metal shavings?

If I decide to go with a 10 bolt, is it a direct fit? And is the drive shaft a direct fit?

Thanks.

Comment

Well till mr.b comes on ,the driveshafts inter-change and the rears do tobut you may need wheel spacers(1/4 ) but I doubt it.P.M. vortec rs (my son ) he knows everything about the swap.

Comment

a 3rd gen 10 bolt will go right in. i have seen some that came with just a wheel spacer on the pass side. just the thin one. if it were me i would pull apart what u have and put new bearings and seals through it and drive on.

Comment

The car is a 3rd gen. Did you mean a 4th gen rear end? Even though the bearing and race appear to be good, its your opinion to just replace them anyway on both sides? If the rear end is still making a racket, what would the noise be? Other than just servicing them, I know nothing about the rear end gears.

Thanks

Comment

could be carrier bearings or pinion bearings...if the pinion isn't slopping around when u grab it then the gears should be ok cause they should be still running true.....but pull the guts out of it and see what they look like....if you have the axles out allready then half the works done.

Comment

Working...
                          X