Cable driven windsheild wipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable driven windsheild wipers

I asked this over in the tech section but figured that a lot of us don't spend a lot of time over there.
    So any of you have any opinions on how to get these old wiper drive systems lubricated without taking them completely apart. The ends on my units are welded on so I would have to grind off the welds to get the shafts out of the housings.

Are there any special tricks/tools to lubing the wiper post drive units on cable driven systems?
    Are there any preferred lubricants?

I was thinking I would try to put a hose/tube over the post mounting shaft and filling it with Royal Purple Maxfilm to see if gravity would let it flow down inside the mounting post.

Re: Cable driven windsheild wipers

yeah that would probably work, the other thing you can try is instead of oil you get some grease in an old saucepan and gently warm it so it is liquid and pour that into the tube, that way when it cools it will return to a solid and stay where is needed. You will want to put a bag or something over the back end of the wheel house so that you dont fill the interior of your car with oil or grease as it runs through ;)

Comment

Rain-X. The faster you go the better it works! ;D
      Non-denominational car nut.
      Ten Time Long Hauler! 2001-2011
      Do you go all the way?

Comment

Originally posted by The Chief
        yeah that would probably work, the other thing you can try is instead of oil you get some grease in an old saucepan and gently warm it so it is liquid and pour that into the tube, that way when it cools it will return to a solid and stay where is needed. You will want to put a bag or something over the back end of the wheel house so that you dont fill the interior of your car with oil or grease as it runs through ;)
        Best tip I've head in a long time!
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

marvel mystery oil

Comment

Update

I fabbed up a power lubber. For the scooter riders amongst us - think cable lubber. I got a piece of hose that fit snugly over the wiper drive post. I drilled a 5/64" hole in the hose for a spray tube to be inserted. I pushed the hose over the post and used a hose clamp on the wiper drive head to securely fasten the hose to it, put the spray tube in the hole and sprayed a bunch of Maxfilm in it. My theory was that this would be a good way to flush any debris out of the unit before using a teflon based white grease aerosol for final lube.

Time will tell if this will improve the smoothness of my wipers. Still contemplating buying some airplane windscreen wax to reduce the wiper blade drag on the glass.

Hindsight is so wonderful - I should have upgraded to a linkage driven wiper system back when cutting the cowl out and replacing it with a later model system wouldn't have been such a large undertaking.

Comment

Well How we Do it UP North is:

run strong string out drivers Vent Window
              connect it to each wiper Arm
              run string in passenger window
              tie ends together

When Wipers are needed:
              just pull string back and forth

PS: only car I had problem doing this with was on a 1958 Renault 4CV (28HP), because it had suicide front doors
              (just needed a longer string),
              4CV would do a honest 3 foot wheelie by a little bouncing
              i loved that car

Also if throttle cable breaks on a 4CV you can punch hole though back seat run a new wire from carb to dash with a turnbuckle for cruise control and the world is great. very easy to work throttle with your elbow while shifting.
              i loved that car
              but no heat

Comment

Bob you absolutely crack me up !
                Has anyone seen my fan?

Comment

Working...
                X