Why by-passes and not Main St?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why by-passes and not Main St?

I am just curious why Hot Rod has chosen to take by-passes around some of these neat small towns Main Streets. Most of them would be very easy to go through without the possibility of getting lost.

Mt Pleasant, IA

Carbondale, IL
    (you can stay straight in downtown on Illinois Ave and end up back on rt 51)

Russellville, KY

Carthage, TN

These are the biggest work a rounds i found, but there are many other small towns that the DOT's have made the highway by-pass around that we are missing too.

I figured it would be very stimulating for the towns to go through their main streets. Look at what happened last year in Cambridge!!!

And also why are they aren't taken us through "Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park" instead they added extra turns to get around it?

Long Hauler 2009, 10, 11, 12, 15 3 of 7 in 2013 5 of 8 in 2014 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Re: Why by-passes and not Main St?

is a natl. park pass needed to go thru them? would cause quite a backup stopping to buy themat entrance.

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEE
      is a natl. park pass needed to go thru them? would cause quite a backup stopping to buy themat entrance.
      actuallly there is no fee to get in...

http://www.nps.gov/chch/planyourvisi...servations.htm
      Long Hauler 2009, 10, 11, 12, 15 3 of 7 in 2013 5 of 8 in 2014 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Comment

evidently, you don't remember the zoo it was to get thru Cambridge. ;)
        i think the large number of cars would really cause some traffic jams, plus maybe the towns don't want to deal or don't have the police to deal, with these large crowds. in general, most people won't actually stop, so it isn't really any economical advantage for these small towns to deal with the extra traffic. just my guess. besides, this is power tour..if you want to go thru the little towns, there is nothing stopping you. actually, i was thinking the same thing, to go thru a few towns to see what they are like.
        Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Watch for the business routes and take them when you can.I love the small towns...And Cambridge was a blast.More pictures were taken there then anywhere else on the tour,well maybe Bristol..And there is a thread about going through the military that morning,we're going to follow Matt.. :D
          I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

I'm pretty much open to anything that comes up...to be honest we have not really planned out the route yet to be truthful.
            I'm about half tempted to just follow what ever cars are around me at any given time. Would help take the edge off for me so I don't stress about where the hell I will end up getting lost. 8)
            Andrew
            1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
            2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

what stress. you are out in the middle of nowhere. you can't screw up much, and if you do and go 100miles out of your way, turn around and go back 100 miles and take the other turn : ;D
              Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

I like the two lane stuff, and agree, no stress in the middle of no where, as long as you're not low on gas or beer.
                Dannie
                2010 Camaro SS
                Long Haul 2010/2011
                Power Tour 2012 (Stillwater/Arlington/Optima Face Off)

Comment

Originally posted by cobra
                  what stress. you are out in the middle of nowhere. you can't screw up much, and if you do and go 100miles out of your way, turn around and go back 100 miles and take the other turn : ;D
                  Bruce....nice one!! I love it ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
                  200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
                  Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalCamaro
                    I like the two lane stuff, and agree, no stress in the middle of no where, as long as you're not low on gas or beer.
                    NO BEER!!
                    yeah, that would be stressful ;D
                    Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by cobra
                      Originally posted by SoCalCamaro
                      NO BEER!!
                      yeah, that would be stressful ;D
                      That's just unacceptable. ;D
                      I R Bob
                      You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Working...
                        X