Rear End Fluid Change in Newton, IA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear End Fluid Change in Newton, IA

Hi all, My Camaro overhaul ? ;D ,restoration ? ;D, updating ? 8) , transformation ??? to a newer , better machine 8) etc is coming down to the wire. :o
    Hope have it on the road by May 28th or the latest June 1st.

I have a new Moser 12 bolt rear end and when I leave I will have the break-in oil in the rear.
    I have the Part # 7110 - Performance Cover - 12 Bolt GM Car on it

I found out today. :
    The guy putting it in told me to run it about 1100 to 1400 miles & then change the fluid & l plan to bring the Royal Purple fluid with me.

Well it is about 1,100 miles to Newton, IA, is there a garage I could use (I.e have them change it) that anyone know about. I'm leaving on the 3rd & hope to be there on they 4th.

I have not done it before and I know it is easier the 2nd time. ;)

Any suggestions ?
    (back lot of the hotel : )
    Thanks
    So. Central PA
    Long Hauler 2010 & 2011 (2 stops 2014) 2015

NERR 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Re: Rear End Fluid Change in Newton, IA

The hotel might work....Allen is planning an oil change, so jacks, etc should be available.
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

you guys need to get your selves a vacuum oil pump

then you dont need to mess with jacks and crap, also you can put the waste oil in the container left by the new oil.

I bought one about 5 years ago and never looked back

Comment

Yup, I got one of those too.. Handy Dandy.
        Powertour off/on since 2002
        sigpic

Comment

I would check with Moser, strange or some else what they are recommending on rear end fluid.

Currie does not recommend synthetic fluid.

bob

Comment

Maybe you could do it Saturday on site - you're there all day anyway and maybe the Motor Medics have a disposal drum.
            Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by 1956NY150
              I would check with Moser, strange or some else what they are recommending on rear end fluid.

bob

hummmm
              So. Central PA

Comment

Check with Moser for the recommended lube. The cover you have has the drain and fill plugs in it. This job will be the easiest one done on the tour. Bring a plastic drain pan, paper funnels, vinyl gloves, a vinyl hose that fits in the hole and over the bottle tip and the gear oil. There will be plenty of tools, jacks and gear heads wanting to help. You need to raise the front end slightly to ensure good drainage. Put the waste oil back in the bottles for transport to an auto parts store that takes waste oil and you are done.
                Jim & Maureen
                There is a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!!
                HRPT Long Haulers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013

Comment

Originally posted by 1956NY150

bob

Eaton does not recommend synthetic fluid in their posi units either.

Comment

Whew Thanks

What gear oil do I use?

The limited ? slip differential design has been extensively tested with high quality NON-Synthetic 80W90 hypoid oils ( regular mineral based oil ) treated with GM or Ford friction additives ( 3 oz. of additive will treat 1 quart of oil ).To avoid differential clutch chatter ( noise ) and for optimum performance, use the oil and additive described above. Use of other additive and oil types may cause differential clutch chatter.

Ford Friction Additive # C8A219B546A

GM Friction Additive # 1052358
                    So. Central PA

Comment

Anybody tried Royal Purple? I run a GM 10-bolt posi, and feels like one of the clutches is chattering at low turning speeds. Gonna change the oil and considering a synthetic......I'm open for suggestions.
                      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr
                        Anybody tried Royal Purple? I run a GM 10-bolt posi, and feels like one of the clutches is chattering at low turning speeds. Gonna change the oil and considering a synthetic......I'm open for suggestions.
                        GM #89021671 - they are mighty proud of this stuff but it is pretty good.
                        They also make a synthetic (#12346190) if you want to go that way

Comment

Thanks Allen. GM is proud of all their stuff....got the Keisler recommended tranny oil (GM Syncro-Mesh), at a cool $17/quart. I'll see. May keep my GM all GM.... :D
                          Oh, that's right. It isn't, anymore......... ;D
                          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr
                            Thanks Allen. GM is proud of all their stuff....got the Keisler recommended tranny oil (GM Syncro-Mesh), at a cool $17/quart. I'll see. May keep my GM all GM.... :D
                            Oh, that's right. It isn't, anymore......... ;D
                            Same price range ~$20 a quart. Google it - I found a source that was selling it for $9 - $10 and shipping wasn't that much.

Comment

Thx Bud....appreciate it Allen.
                              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

Working...
                              X