Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: suggestions for a better power tour

OK - here we go with bad and good:

Bad - Downtown venues where all the restaurants and stores are closed - no downtowns on Sunday - Springfield downtown - arggghhhh!
    Good - Downtown venues where all the restaurants are open - We basically took over Mobile and it was a blast

Bad - long distances and small town stop signs/traffic lights - is it so hard to arrange for local law enforcement to man a stop sign intersection and let 20 cars go through at once?
    Bad - leaving drivers meetings through one entrance without local law enforcement to direct us;
    Good - leaving drivers meetings with police stopping traffic so we can leave in larger groups

Bad - no pre-arranged parking for Long Haulers - we always drive the furthest and show up last and have to park far away
    Bad - spreading the vendors out across miles of hot asphalt - Birmingham was ridiculous - Mobile was easy
    Bad - food vendors at the venues - Funnel cakes and corn dogs - are you kidding me? that was awful! Good food vendors would make a fortune

Good - efforts of Family Events and Hot Rod staff - worked their butts off!
    Bad - Hotels that overbooked - restaurants unprepared for 3,000 people

Bad - Long Hauler venue - so where am I in the picture of the battleship? Oh yea, I was in the shade on the starboard side (close to the land, not the water) - not even in the picture at all - I bet there are people still trying to get off the ship this morning
    Bad - throwing hats and Tshirts into crowd at stage - like throwing meat to lions - people got hurt!

Just my two cents

Comment

I'm getting the sinking feeling powertour has jumped the shark.
      A trem I'm not familiar with. Please explain? Jumped the shark...?
      Jim T
      Supercar Collectibles
      www.Supercar1.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jimsc52
        I'm getting the sinking feeling powertour has jumped the shark.
        A trem I'm not familiar with. Please explain? Jumped the shark...?
        "Jumping the shark is an idiom used to describe the moment of downturn for a previously successful enterprise"
        "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

First coined after Fonzie "jumped a shark" in an episode of Happy Days.

Comment

OK - here we go with bad and good:

Bad - Downtown venues where all the restaurants and stores are closed - no downtowns on Sunday - Springfield downtown - arggghhhh!
            Good - Downtown venues where all the restaurants are open - We basically took over Mobile and it was a blast

Bad - long distances and small town stop signs/traffic lights - is it so hard to arrange for local law enforcement to man a stop sign intersection and let 20 cars go through at once?
            Bad - leaving drivers meetings through one entrance without local law enforcement to direct us;
            Good - leaving drivers meetings with police stopping traffic so we can leave in larger groups

Bad - no pre-arranged parking for Long Haulers - we always drive the furthest and show up last and have to park far away
            Bad - spreading the vendors out across miles of hot asphalt - Birmingham was ridiculous - Mobile was easy
            Bad - food vendors at the venues - Funnel cakes and corn dogs - are you kidding me? that was awful! Good food vendors would make a fortune

Good - efforts of Family Events and Hot Rod staff - worked their butts off!
            Bad - Hotels that overbooked - restaurants unprepared for 3,000 people

Bad - Long Hauler venue - so where am I in the picture of the battleship? Oh yea, I was in the shade on the starboard side (close to the land, not the water) - not even in the picture at all - I bet there are people still trying to get off the ship this morning
            Bad - throwing hats and Tshirts into crowd at stage - like throwing meat to lions - people got hurt!

Just my two cents
            First, I love your car. Noticed it first in Springfield if I remember. Just love the color combo. Nice car.

I don't know. I noticed some stores open. My co-pilot bought 2 books fron nightly reading material when he found out the one he brought he had read already. I saw others open too. No restaurants noticed, but wasn't looking.

I agree 100%

Also agree 100%. There HAS to better food options out there. Can't stomach current items for 7 days straight.

Oh ya. Nice car. Really.

Comment

Originally posted by 200WINS
              Originally posted by bluez
              #1 Water, not 5 dollars a bottle but plenty of water to buy
              #2 Shade, old people old bake well in the heat.
              #3 A Bang Shift Tent. So we can hang out get our badges and meet other freaks
              #4 A Bangshift Day, to wear Bangshift stuff

ps. I need Chads Info if anyone has it!!! thanks
              Dave
              Which part of PT did you not see, Chad, Daphne and Brett took good care of BS'ers. Ridetech had a shade tent, cold or at least cool water in bottles, Saturday at Newton we got together for an introduction and pick up the Freak badges. Bowling Green there was a Freaks cookout and I know of many BS'ers that wore BS shirts or something of that nature everyday. Thanks again for eveything Brett and Chad and Daphne.
              I ran the BG to mobile, but as stated above by 442copiolet70, by time I arrived it was late and they were not at the tent, I hit every venue but seemed to be later and later by time I arrived. I meet a few people due to there BS stuff!!

Comment

Hmmmm, Springfield....open pub right behind the ridetech trailer....30 different brews on tap, and icy cold...spent a little time in there ;D

Mobile....parked right in front of pizza and wing place,,,,nice frosty brews...at happy hour prices...6 blocks to main stage...just made going back for more drinks and AC that much better....

Powertour is what it is....same complaints every year.....its not going to change...expect the same next year, and i will see you all there...cause you know you love it....now go get a big glass of shut the hell up ;D
                Never kick a fresh Turd on a hot day.....Harry S Truman

Comment

LONG HAULER PARKING

Comment

Originally posted by fine59
                    Powertour is what it is....same complaints every year.....its not going to change...expect the same next year, and i will see you all there...cause you know you love it....now go get a big glass of shut the hell up ;D
                    Well put, Thank you Fred 8)
                    200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
                    Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

Originally posted by 200WINS
                      Well put, Thank you Fred 8)
                      X3

Fred covered it in one short sentence.

Comment

X4 - This was my first HRPT )Long Hauler)and I had a blast! Everything worked out great even if I had to park a little farther at a couple venues, but there were 2000+ cars, plus locals, so not everyone can be up front. I never waited to get into a restaurant or bar and every hotel had parking. I think people need to do more plannig before just showing up in town expecting to be catered to. I researched non-fastfood restaurants/bars before each venue and walked to everyone from the venue and had a great meal/drink with fellow HRPT people each night. Not sure the issue people had with nothing being open. I will be there again next year!

The only thing I would have liked better would be organizers communicating with local police more to help move the cars through the small towns. There were several that had the one stop sign in it and 100+ cars lined up trying to get through. Not a big deal though.

Comment

Proper use of POLICE they were few and far between with the few being in their damn squad cars rather than actrually assisting with traffic. This year was the worst for traffic. The police were next to useless, get of your asses and direct the traffic. Nearly all the problems i see with cars over heating was down to poor policing and traffic control

Comment

In Springfield we found 3 restaurants that were closed early, guess no one told them there were going to be thousands of hungry people. There was one place open that had plenty of seating, $20 per person for a sandwich!
                            I can't complain about the parking this year because we were invited to park at Magnaflow's trailer (thank you to the entire crew there!) but otherwise I can see the parking hasn't improved any over years past. I did notice in Springfield the people that drove the route were being parked on the outskirts while there were many cars with NO stickers in the center of the activities. The DuQuoin fairgrounds was a beautiful venue. I may just have to have more surgery done on my back this year so I can enjoy the tour more next year.

Comment

This is the first year i think they forgot long haul parking
                              and we don't go to the drivers meetings you can't go to the meeting , drive the route, say hi to all the vender's and thank them,
                              sit in front of the stage for the show all in one day something has to go.

Comment

Hmmmm, Springfield....open pub right behind the ridetech trailer....30 different brews on tap, and icy cold...spent a little time in there ;D

Mobile....parked right in front of pizza and wing place,,,,nice frosty brews...at happy hour prices...6 blocks to main stage...just made going back for more drinks and AC that much better....

but it's soooo fun to bitch. ;D
                                you are right though....we'll be back next year, cause it's still an absolute blast.
                                as far as the food goes, you just need to know how to find Dave the Bartender. 8)
                                Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Working...
                                X