Dad's Health on Power Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad's Health on Power Tour

Thanks to all of you that came up and said hi to my dad and i on this 2010 power tour, i think he wasn't really aware of how many of you new about it and where thinking about him. Sorry I was not able to hang with and talk to a bunch of you, i was very busy trying to take care of dad and trying to get him through the tour.

For all of you who don't know my dad has been battling stomach cancer since December and has been through 6 weeks of chemo and radiation already and just did another 3 days of chemo 2 1/2 before the tour. The chemo has hit him very very hard each time

The day before we left my dad told me if I was not meeting him in Denver that he was not going to do the tour, and also that he had lost about 20 pounds in 2 weeks. At that moment I knew that it was going to be a tough week for him. All started pretty well in Newton, Springfield, and Du Quoin. From there things started to go down hill

After the drive from Du Quoin to Bowling Green we went to the Corvette Factory for the tour, which he loved, but it was a long walk and his stamina was not there. He had to go back to the hotel before going to the show, when we got to the hotel he got sick and told me to go on to the show with out him and let him rest for the night. I called my mom and talked to her about what was going on and we were both concerned about his hydration. After being at the show for a while I went back to the hotel and dad and mom had decided that he should go to the hospital for hydration. He felt pretty good after having 2 IV bags pumped in him, and that we would carry on day by day from there.

The next day on the drive to Chattanooga he slept most of the day and got sick once in the car. He again decided to go to the hotel for a little bit before the show. While in the hotel he continued to get sick. That is when we decided that this was his last day on the tour and it was time to head home. Again after talking to mom we decided he needed to get home to Denver ASAP! It was decided that he would fly home from Birmingham the next day. We woke up early to beat the heat and got him to the Birmingham airport by 10:30am. He was back in Denver by 3:30pm

My mom was going to meet me in New Orleans on Saturday to drive the 442 home to Denver, but when she saw dad and his condition it was decided I would caravan with 73gadan home to Chicago after Mobile. From Chicago we would get the 442 back to Denver over the summer somehow.

On Friday when dad when to the doctor they took 8.5 liters (20 pounds) of fluid out from around his stomach. He said he was feeling better but was weak. Today he again went to the doctor because he still hasn't kept anything down. The doctor immediately was admitted to the hospital for hydration, monitoring, and future investigation. The gastro doctors are going to see him tomorrow and figure out what is wrong and what the next steps are.

I will keep you posted as much as I can. Please pray and keep him in thought. Tomorrow is my mom's 60th birthday so the timing sucks.
    Long Hauler 2009, 10, 11, 12, 15 3 of 7 in 2013 5 of 8 in 2014 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Re: Dad's Health on Power Tour

hopefully they can get him back in shape. its great he got out there and enjoyed some of it..

Comment

Thoughts n prayers going out for your dad ... and the family.
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

It was a pleasure to meet you and your father in Newton Saturday night. Very nice man .He reminded me alot of my father . My dad would have loved to go on tour before he passed ,so what you and your father set out to do was a great thing that only fathers and sons, that have the relationship that you have with your dad ,would understand .God bless him and i 'll be keeping you both in my prayers.
        Has anyone seen my fan?

Comment

Figured i should post a picture of him and i for those of you who didn't get to meet us

this was taken friday morning before we left for newton.

Long Hauler 2009, 10, 11, 12, 15 3 of 7 in 2013 5 of 8 in 2014 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Comment

Prayers from Ken and I. If you or the family need anything from the Colorado connection, let us know.

Linda 8)

Comment

I looked and looked for you both, but did not have the chance to say hello. I am sorry to have missed a chance to meet you and your father, but it wasnt for lack of trying. If there is anything myself or any of my family or employees can do, please dont hesitate to contact me. If getting the car to your dads is a priority, consider it done and I will get one of my guys to transport it on the hauler to your dad! Any way we can help, it will get done!

Me, Tina, and Megan Layman, and the entire shop here @ Layco restoration wish your dad the best, and will help with whatever we can!
              HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
              DW- 12,16,17
              "Stay thirsty my friends"
              The worlds most interesting man

Comment

Originally posted by RAIV70Judge
                I looked and looked for you both, but did not have the chance to say hello. I am sorry to have missed a chance to meet you and your father, but it wasnt for lack of trying. If there is anything myself or any of my family or employees can do, please dont hesitate to contact me. If getting the car to your dads is a priority, consider it done and I will get one of my guys to transport it on the hauler to your dad! Any way we can help, it will get done!

Me, Tina, and Megan Layman, and the entire shop here @ Layco restoration wish your dad the best, and will help with whatever we can!
                Matt if you guys can transport part of the way, we can meet you with our hauler and bring it home to Colorado. If you bring it the whole way let us know and a place to sleep is at our place! ;)

Linda 8)

Comment

Scott,

Vic and I really enjoyed meeting you and your dad. I hope he is feeling a little better. Please tell him we said hello. Keep us all posted on his condition.
                  Terri B. Long Hauler, Cars and Cones participant, Land Speed Racer
                  Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

Just talked to mom...dad is going to need to get a feeding tube to try to gain some of his strength back

The cancer has grown since the scan that he had little over a month ago....

My brother and sister-in-law are going out to Denver tomorrow to help comfort mom and dad.

Chemo wont start or continue until he gains his strength back

Matt and Linda thanks for the offer, we are not really worried about getting the car back right now...i am actually trying to figure out what to do about the radiator issue. It cracked just north of Indy on the way home. It is 1 1/2 year old Be Cool all aluminum. I am having a repair shop trying epoxy and repair the crack. We don't know weather to get another Be Cool or to do something different. Dad right now doesn't have the strength to do anything so i kinda want to fix it up for him so when he is better he can enjoy the car and not have to fix it.

Comment

Scott, I pm'd you some info on cooling the Olds and how to repair the radiator. Dont hesitate to let me know if you need help, we are not that awefully far from eachother. Linda....your on! If Scott has us haul, I'll be in touch, Thanks!
                      HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                      DW- 12,16,17
                      "Stay thirsty my friends"
                      The worlds most interesting man

Comment

Originally posted by RAIV70Judge
                        Scott, I pm'd you some info on cooling the Olds and how to repair the radiator. Dont hesitate to let me know if you need help, we are not that awefully far from eachother. Linda....your on! If Scott has us haul, I'll be in touch, Thanks!
                        You betcha, Matt! Anytime you come this way just let us know and we'll make room! :-*

Linda 8)

Comment

Dad hopefully will be getting a feeding tube on Friday or Saturday. They are hoping that the cancer and fluid in his stomach region will not be in the way. At the moment we do not know what the secondary plan for will be if they can not install the tube.

If anyone would like to send him a email...I honestly don't know if he will be checking it

Subject:
                          RAGTOPKEN GET WELL SOON!

email:
                          [email protected]

I hope it none of the messages get stuck in his junk mail because i know he doesn't check it.

Comment

Dude, I am bummed we did not get to hang, but I was glad to at least meet up at the Duquoin fair grounds.
                            I hope things are going ok for you guys considering.
                            Andrew
                            1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                            2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Working...
                            X