Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Samaritans of Tennessee

Good Samaritans of Tennessee

Somewhere in Tennessee, on the way from Bowing Green to Chattanooga on the Hot Rod Power Tour, I did a small burnout. This was probably too much for the engine of my 1996 Chevy Impala. I had a severe engine miss so I pulled over to the side of the road and did some simple diagnosis first. I checked the injector on number 2, changed the spark plug and checked all the wires. I still had my miss, so I removed the valve cover and found a broken valve spring on the number 2 cylinder! And now my story gets interesting!

A man named Tony (I don?t know his last name, but wish I did!) came up to me and said, ?I see you have a problem!? I said yes and he started making phone calls. He got me in touch with Harland Loftis and Sons Wrecker Service who took me to Midstate Motorworks in Cookeville. They could not fix my car as they were too busy. Tommy Jones who works at Midstate Motorworks, said we should take my car to his home in Baxter, a small town a few miles away. So Harland Loftis flat bedded my car to Baxter.

Tommy called his shop The Super Shed. And it was! He had everything we needed. There I meet Josh Moore and Buddy Javnes. These two, along with Tommy and my traveling companion, Patrick Whalen, proceeded to repair the broken valve spring. They worked hard from 5 pm to 1 am to fix the car so it worked and wouldn?t take any money for all of their hard work.
    (I did leave beer money +!)

I believe I met 4 angels that day?and don?t know what I would have done without them!

I would also like to send my condolences to the Anderson family who were involved in a horrible crash.

Ken Pagel Long Hauler from Wisconsin

Re: Good Samaritans of Tennessee

Welcome to BangShift and the PT Ken.
    "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Ken, welcome to Bang Shift & PT. Nice to see more cheeseheads here. What part of the state do you live in?
      Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Walworth wi is my home town. It's on the west end of Lake Geneva

Comment

Welcome to that asylum Ken. You'll find lots of people willing to help here and on the PT.
          I R Bob
          You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
          2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Yeah, welcome aboard. You're gonna like it here....
            Ed.
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I had a caliper lock up on my Torino...the GM meatwagon crew, and Napa helped me get Torino fixed on the Springfield stop, at like 7pm on a Sunday night.

Good to hear.
              Andrew
              1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
              2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Originally posted by carpag
                Good Samaritans of Tennessee

Somewhere in Tennessee, on the way from Bowing Green to Chattanooga on the Hot Rod Power Tour, I did a small burnout. This was probably too much for the engine of my 1996 Chevy Impala. I had a severe engine miss so I pulled over to the side of the road and did some simple diagnosis first. I checked the injector on number 2, changed the spark plug and checked all the wires. I still had my miss, so I removed the valve cover and found a broken valve spring on the number 2 cylinder! And now my story gets interesting!

A man named Tony (I don?t know his last name, but wish I did!) came up to me and said, ?I see you have a problem!? I said yes and he started making phone calls. He got me in touch with Harland Loftis and Sons Wrecker Service who took me to Midstate Motorworks in Cookeville. They could not fix my car as they were too busy. Tommy Jones who works at Midstate Motorworks, said we should take my car to his home in Baxter, a small town a few miles away. So Harland Loftis flat bedded my car to Baxter.

Tommy called his shop The Super Shed. And it was! He had everything we needed. There I meet Josh Moore and Buddy Javnes. These two, along with Tommy and my traveling companion, Patrick Whalen, proceeded to repair the broken valve spring. They worked hard from 5 pm to 1 am to fix the car so it worked and wouldn?t take any money for all of their hard work.
                (I did leave beer money +!)

I believe I met 4 angels that day?and don?t know what I would have done without them!

I would also like to send my condolences to the Anderson family who were involved in a horrible crash.

Ken Pagel Long Hauler from Wisconsin

Cookeville is where I live and Midstate Motorworks is who did the machine work for me on my 306 for the stang. All are really good guys. The guy that owns the machine shop (Bill) has a 440 sixpack charger that has won many awards and some are national awards!! All are very good guys!!

Barry

Comment

Just wanted to let you know I went by the shop you are talking about this afternoon and I showed the guy that has the "Super Shed" your thread about the help you received. It really made his day! Glad you brought it up!!

Barry

Comment

That very nice of you to do that, I could not run into nicer people than Tom.Cathy,Josh, Buddy Patrick

Ken

Comment

Ken, Glad to hear that you had gearheads willing to drop everything to help you out. My buddy Norb and I dropped everything to help out a number or people along the way. We changed a valve spring on a PT er's 65 Chevy pickup in a parking garage in less than 20 minutes with no air. We use a pretty neat trick to do it. Hope you make HRPT 2011.
                      Jim & Maureen
                      There is a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!!
                      HRPT Long Haulers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013

Comment

Working...
                      X