4th and 5th CHP officers die yesterday, now 5 in two months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th and 5th CHP officers die yesterday, now 5 in two months

Any day is tragic for law enforcement when officers are killed in the line of duty. However, yesterday was even worse when two officers in separate parts of the state were killed. This now makes 5 in two months for the CHP. Two months ago one of their pilots lost his life when his airplane crashed into a mountain peak in the southern part of the state. June 9th a motor officer was stopped along the shoulder of the freeway in Los Angeles issuing a citation when an impatient driver decided to pass traffic on the shoulder and hit the officer and his motorcycle and then the violators vehicle with enough force to send the vehicle the officer stopped rolling into the freeway lanes. That officer survived for about 10 days before passing away.

Two weeks ago, another motor officer was in pursuit and was killed when he struck a big rig. Yesterday morning about 3:30 am north of Victorville on Interstate 15, an officer had stopped a motorist and was talking to him along the right front of the patrol car when an approaching 18 year old male driver lost control of his car and went off the freeway shoulder and struck one of the officers killing him. Yesterday afternoon an officer near paso robles was having an abandoned vehicle towed away when a woman lost control of her car and struck the officer, a 21 year veteran.

We have had a rash of officer fatalities before but not in this short of time span. Please give our leo's a wide berth when passing them while they are stopped along the road! Enough is enough!
    Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Re: 4th and 5th CHP officers die yesterday, now 5 in two months

Definately, that is quite the tragic run :'(
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

The "move over" law was a small but needed action that hopefully helps somewhat.
      Peace to the officers and their families and God bless.
      Phil / Omaha

Comment

Makes me glad WI adopted the "move over" law. I usually always try to move to the next lane. If I cant, then slow down and pass with caution. Not only for the safety of the officer, but some doped up fool may try to run and jump in front of you.
        Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Doug, I'm sure you knew a couple of them. Thoughts and prayers to their families.

Linda 8)

Comment

Man that sucks Doug ... Thoughts and prayers to their families and all of the The California Highway Patrol Officers.
            Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Working...
            X