Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Springfield, Missouri swap meet this weekend .......................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springfield, Missouri swap meet this weekend .......................

Are any other forum freaks attending the swap meet in Springfield this weekend ? I'll be there on space A006 and B005. They're back to back spaces so I'll be facing both walkways. Stop by and say hello or call me at 479-263-3326.

Thanks, Dean

Re: Springfield, Missouri swap meet this weekend .......................

You firemen are always working aren't you Dean ? Have a good time brother.
    Phil / Omaha

Comment

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, define "work". :

That brings a funny story to mind. Several years ago my crew and I were in an area supermarket picking up supplies for the evening meal. We were approached by an obviously unhappy citizen who didn't like the idea that we were using a city vehicle to go grocery shopping. I tried in vain to explain that we are on duty 24 hours at a time and we are required to stay in our district and with our crews and apparatus at all times, with very few exceptions. We simply cannot go jump in our personal pickup and run to the store or the doctor or whatever. Of course he wasn't listening to my explanation and continued with the berating.

He begins explaining to me that all we do is sit around and play checkers and watch TV. I've got to admit that really started to get under my skin. He went on to explain that we only make a few calls each day and most of our time is spent wasting taxpayer dollars. Then he brought up the "sleeping on the job" and getting paid to sleep aspect. At that point I'd had enough.

The next time he stopped his tirade long enough to catch a breath, I interrupted him. I explained that each and every time we go out on a call, someone is having a really bad day. Maybe the worst day of their lives. I asked him if he realized that each and every member of my crew had sworn to protect his life and property even at risk of losing their lives in the effort. I asked him would he be willing to die right here, right now in order to save one of my men. When he didn't answer quickly, I pointed out that each of them would do it for him, without hesitation.

He didn't say another word as he turned and walked away.

Ours is a noble profession and it has its perks. One of them is that I get to go on HRPT and to swap meets on my days off. Life is good.

Come see me ! Dean

Comment

Some folks just gotta have somethin' to gripe about don't they? Personally I think firemen, policemen, and school teachers (and some other occupations too) are underappreciated and often times underpaid for their contributions to society. I've got several friends and neighbors and a brother-in-law (retired) who are firemen. Most of them are hard working and have second incomes with their flexible schedules - but they also miss alot of their family functions due to the 24 on 24 off, etc. schedules too. It's good to be nice to firemen - they might be pounding on your chest someday when you really need them most !!
        Phil / Omaha

Comment

Been to that swap meet several times, and my Dad used to sell there with his cousin EVERY year. Just not worth me driving 4hrs. to get there for Sunday only, gotta work Friday and Sat.
          GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

Just got in from a hot trip to Springfield. Saw lots of HRPT veterans there and met up with a few other Forum Freaks like Alton and Debbie Stewart and the bunch from the River City Cruisers club. We even had a chance to recruit a few other members to the website. In the words of one spectator..." What's a Forum Freak ?" To which I replied... " I'm glad you asked". Good fun !

Dean

Comment

good fun indeed!! but, I will admit, I wimped out on Alton, I went with the girls Saturday to the mall...It was just too hot to have fun...Friday I bet we walked 20 miles around and around and back again! Dean, we are going to make it over to your part of the country one day. We came home late Saturday, made it to church Sun morning, but slept & did nothing the remainder of the day...that heat sapped us!! Looking forward to winter!!!

Comment

Working...
              X