Someone reassure me about Detroit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone reassure me about Detroit...

I think I posted something about Detroit earlier this year.
    Help put my stupid fears to rest. Without having a stupid complex, just need someone to point me to the what when and where so I don't regret anything.

Aside from staying in a pack, and trying to figure out the Hotel deal, I am also trying to figure best hotel to bunk up in.
    I know there are going to be a lot of cars so much nicer than the Torino, but is it stupid of me, I'd like to park overnight in a secured parking garage?

Detroit is the last to book for me. And I have some stupid mental block right now.

Some of you guys know I get a mental thing about large cities I know nothing about...just want to finish booking now, and look forward to being able to just follow a pack for 4,000 or so miles...

Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Re: Someone reassure me about Detroit...

Detroit was a great stop in 09 Andrew. The only problem I had was the on ramp to 75 heading to Dayton. We did a little cruising but never wound up in any "bad" areas.
    HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
    DW- 12,16,17
    "Stay thirsty my friends"
    The worlds most interesting man

Comment

Detroit area will be fine. Just be careful if you go "downtown", as some areas are not so nice as others
      Donna
      Williamston, MI
      Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

I managed to remove the exhaust on the patchwork of shite roads, man detroit is a hole and i dont want to go back but its part of the tour so i have no real option.

Comment

what we did last time in Detroit was book two rooms one at HIE (you just can't go wrong there if you can afford it) and one at a tier 2 or 3 motel. we went to the cheap room, freaked out and hauled a$$ for the HIE and cancelled the crack house. 8)
          Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

09 we stayed at the LaQuinta near the Tech Center. Hotel was good, City of Warren put on a great party across from the Tech Center. Traffic getting in and out is the worst!!! State highways are very rough, when you want to turn left you need to do use the turn around thingies past the intersection. Overall not too much to worry about.
            Mike are we going to Woodward Friday night??
            200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
            Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

Andrew - I grew up in Dearborn, a suburb, but lived and worked in Detroit in the 70's - but that was the Peace, Love, Dope era 30-40 years ago and it's like any big city. Some areas are bad and others are worse kinda like North "O" and Ames Ave. areas brother, we kinda stand out. You'll be fine man, and like Mike said, probably not a good stop to scrimp on rooms.
              Phil / Omaha

Comment

Stay north of I696 by the tech center!

My dad an i though we were taking a short cut to get to a different interstate (I94) to get on the route... most cars saying by the tech center took I696. Him and I took Van Dyke all the way to I94.

We had the top down and were sitting at a stop light and i will never forget the comment the guy in the P/U next to us said
                "Hey..... You guys you know you are in Detroit right??? Good luck!"
                We both looked at each other, floored it blew a stop sign or 2 and found the quickest way to any interstate from there!!!

Long Hauler 2009, 10, 11, 12, 15 3 of 7 in 2013 5 of 8 in 2014 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Comment

Chill Dude!

Stop by Lowes and pick up a couple rolls of razor wire and some body armor from your local cop shop and you will be fine!

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn
                    Chill Dude!

Stop by Lowes and pick up a couple rolls of razor wire and some body armor from your local cop shop and you will be fine!
                    Just dont get to close to Alan if he is wearing his pink sweat pants.
                    Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn
                      Chill Dude!

Oh, and a spare clip or two helps also.
                      We might have to sneak a couple "fun" bumper stickers on your ride before you hit Detroit.
                      Phil / Omaha

Comment

My worry is staying in Montgomery, AL. Detroit is a breeze.

Comment

last time the tour went to Detroit, bunch of us stayed in Roseville, MI (about 10 min south of the venue at Metro Beach); no problems there....I also see where a bunch have reserved at the HEI on Eleven Mile Road; should be no problemo there too.....rexx

Comment

HIE 11 Mile is where we are at and it's close to the Tech Center..
                            I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

"Peace by means of superior fire power". ;D
                              Non-denominational car nut.
                              Ten Time Long Hauler! 2001-2011
                              Do you go all the way?

Comment

Working...
                              X