Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I drive the Malibu on power tour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I drive the Malibu on power tour?

Well I'm thinking about taking the Malibu on power tour. I do think it will make it but I'm nervous. So should I just go as is, add a/c or change the trans to overdrive or change the rear gear. I do have the origanal 2.29 but I think that's too high. Or just jump in the 93 chevy and just go like I had planned? Thanks
    Drive as is and turn 3500 at 70
    0%
    Install 700 trans
    0%
    Change rear gear to 2.73-3.23
    0%
    Add a/c and go
    0%
    Just take the 93 p/u
    0%
    79 malibu that hopefully makes it for 3000 miles

Made it with no breakdowns, missing 2012

Re: Should I drive the Malibu on power tour?

everybody's budget is different so you have to determine what you can afford to do.

If you can only do one upgrade - do the 700 as it allows more fun in town and helps keep the RPMs down on the freeway. Personally I hate super tall gears as it tends to kill the overall spirit/feel of the ride.

If you can do two then add the a/c as the second upgrade as unless you are from down here you will be whining about it being too hot. :-[

As too concerns about the reliability - if it is a sound piece then I would bring it as you will have more help than you want/need if something unexpected does happen.

Comment

Is the Studebaker totally out of the question?
      If so, then I agree will Alan.
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I would drive it as is unless you have a long drive to or from the tour.
        Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

The studebaker is out. It has sat in the garage for 3 years and needs a rewire. Plus not to sound like a wuss but the cab is a little cramped in my slightly older age for a 3000 mile trip. I use to drive it every year to the daytona turkey run from west palm beach. The 4 hour ride was all I could take, my leg would get cramped, it also doesn't help that I'm 6' 2" and 280lbs. As far as the 700 I already have it so in theory all I need to do is shorten the driveshaft and move the crossmember. The a/c isn't a huge deal, I found a place that sells the bracket and compressor that I reuse the original hoses for $300.

As far as how far it is to the tour it's only 1 1/2 hours but I have the whole trip back to florida

Comment

Swap the tranny and bring the 'Boo. I put a 700R4 in the '65 Impala when the original PowerGlide wore our. Get is sorted out, you will not regret it.
            Happy Motoring
            Non-denominational car nut.
            Ten Time Long Hauler! 2001-2011
            Do you go all the way?

Comment

I know a guy who can build you a stout 200 4r.
              Powertour off/on since 2002
              sigpic

Comment

That would be great but I have to do everything on the cheap. I already have a 700 anyway so if I go overdrive I'll use it.

Comment

I'd vote for swap the tranny and drive it. There will be lots of people to help if something happens.
                  I R Bob
                  You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                  2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

I'm also in your situation. My Malibu has 3.42's and a 3500 stall with a TH350. No way in hell would I try to take it on the PT in that configuration. Trying to retire my 88 SS from PT duty so I'm riding with a friend in 2011. IMO, take the truck, you'll be happy you did. O/D is a necessity, and A/C is right behind it. I bet the truck has working cruise and plenty of room for stuff too. You'll get the urge to use the HP of the bu on the tour which will push the 700 beyond its limits causing headaches, just not worth it IMO.

bishir: I'm always looking for a 2004R that will hold 400+HP for less than $1500.
                    GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

Brian,

Lonnie Diers is the owner and I've been through thousands of dollars worth of 200 4r's before he was able to fix mine. He has a pretty good rep in the turbo buick world.
                      Powertour off/on since 2002
                      sigpic

Comment

Hot Rod Power Tour.The name speaks for itself.

Put in the 700 r4 and skip the a/c for this trip.we did Florida in o6 and it was not that bad on the move.But you know that already.

When ever there is a problem,its like a traveling mechanics show with all the help that will appear out of nowhere.

Take the Malibu I say.
                        Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

I have a 454 with a 4-speed, 3.73 = 3000 rpm @ 60 mph. Fuel cost almost double what I spend on Hotels. I have NO A/C, PS or PB's and the car is to loud to hear the radio. Sometimes I just put my foot to the floor and let it eat. You do the Power Tour however it floats your boat and have a great time. I finished half of '08 in my S-10 truck and I did not enjoy it as much as when I am in the Chevelle. And like Allen said it is what your budget can afford.

And if McLeod will ever come out with the M800 5-speed ??? I will have an overdrive!

Comment

:o I put a 90 model AOD in my falcon and went from 3500 rpm to 1900 at 70mph.Rear is 3.00 8in with Auburn Locker Posi.Over drive is the way to go.Danny Houston Tx. : :
                            Danny/Zachary
                            HRPT '08 LH, '09 Days 6 & 7, '10 LH

Comment

I think I am going to work on installing the overdrive after turkey run in daytona. Either way I need to do it eventually because I like driving on the highway. I just need to start driving it more to convince myself it will make it.

Comment

Working...
                              X