I hate it, BUT ......................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate it, BUT ......................

Brothers and sisters, I am sorry to say that I will likely miss the HRPT of 2011. It makes me sick to my stomach, but here's why.

My wife and I have 1 child, a twenty year old daughter who is a college junior. She still lives at home with us, works 30 hours a week and attends school carrying 12-18 hours per semester. She has typically been a very responsible young adult who I thought had her head on straight.

About 8 weeks ago she informed us that she was with child. What a bitter-sweet moment. While I look forward to being a grandfather, I wanted her to have her career established and a path to success laid out. Not so much I guess. To further complicate matters the little POS sperm donor hauled ass and says he never wants to see or hear from her or the baby ever again. I'm OK with that but it means Tracey and I will have to pick up the slack.

The due date is April 18th and that means the little bugger will be about 6 weeks old when the tour blasts off. It is very likely that our daughter will need our help in the earliest stages of her transition to motherhood. For that reason, I'll probably have to skip the tour.

For a lot of reasons, I'm heartbroken.

Dean

Re: I hate it, BUT ......................

Geez, that sucks Dean ... on so many levels !!!
    :P

Comment

Sorry you have to miss the trip but, I guess, Congratulations!?! One thing for sure is that the grandchild is not the a-hole in this scene.
      Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Make lemonade out of lemons .... get van/big suv/or rent a small motor home and take the little bugger and his mom with you!
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Wow Dean will keep u guys in our prayers. We have been down this road many years ago but believe me things will and do turn out better than u can imagine right now. That grandson of ours is now 17 yrs old and headed off to college next fall. He is a delight! Turned out to be a wonderful young man! Wishing u all the very best and sorry u have to miss PT.

We will not go in 2011. But if the "chatter" on the other post is true, we will be back again in 2012!

Comment

Dean, We wish you guys and your daughter well!!! Make sure the donor has to remember his participation in this event for the next 18 years (Child Support). Hopefully we will see you all in 2012.
            Jim & Maureen
            There is a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!!
            HRPT Long Haulers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013

Comment

Congratulations Grandpaw!
              A new addition to the family is a blessing, even when it's not expected......
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Hey Dean, sorry to hear that you "might" not make it. I'm sure if there's a will there's a way to get the whole crew on the adventure of a lifetime. Congratulations on the new arrival anyway.
                I R Bob
                You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Dean, I'm with Dan. We had a friend that took thier very young baby camping with us all the time. He said the kid has to grow up somewhere,why not on the road..Count your blessings,and know things could be a lot worse..
                  I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

I have to side with Dan and Rett on this Dean. Ive got a nice comfy conversion van you are welcome to use for HRPT!!! Congratulations!!!
                    HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                    DW- 12,16,17
                    "Stay thirsty my friends"
                    The worlds most interesting man

Comment

What a blessing a Grandchild is! It won't be the first time one of our offspring have stumbled in a fallen world......but PAY ATTENTION.....He may be placing a powerful message in your(and/or her) life. This is one big support group

Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

Dean, I can say that I've been there and done that. While your daughter may have had bad judgement, she's still got her head on straight. When my oldest son called me on Thanksgiving 1996 he told me his girlfriend was expecting, my immediate response was happiness through the shock. My 1st grandchild is a wonderful 13 year old young man and I couldn't be prouder of my son and daughter-in-law for making things work. The good Lord is blessing you and your family with this challenge and I know you all will come out on top!

Linda 8)

Comment

Dean & Tracey, I know how heartbroken you are at first over this, but at least it is your daughter, and you will be ab;e to be in the baby's life..not like the dad were your son & you didn't have a clue. As long as your daughter is healthy & the baby is healthy, everything else will be piddly! I assure you once you get that baby in your hands, it won't matter boy or girl, you will melt! Might even make you forget power tour for a little bit!!We have talked many times of coming to visit ya'll....a new baby there will make it a bigger reason! Good luck & many prayers to you all.

Debbie & Alton

Comment

Dean & Tracey, having your first Grand Child is awesome.... We will all miss you guy's but there is always 2012 and beyond..... I know I speak for all of us at BS.... if you need anything just ask..... Congratulations Grand Paw & Grand Ma.... Ed

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
                            1966 Plymouth Fury III
                            2014 Dodge Ram 1500
                            Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
                            Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

Dean, stuff happens 8) Your are not the first, nor will you be the last. First priority is daughter and baby, support her in all her needs for a healthy child. The hardest part is, if and when she and he would fall back into a relationship. Its OK to let him know you are not happy IMO.
                              200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
                              Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

Working...
                              X