wrecks shut down interstate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wrecks shut down interstate

Those of you who were in Fancy Gap for the Spring Blooms Tour of the Blue Ridge Parkway know how foggy it can get here. There have been three multi-vehicle accidents on Interstate 77 since around 11:30 today. Two people are confirmed dead and dozens have been sent to local hospitals. The Interstate southbound lanes have been closed from Wytheville, Va. to the North Carolina border, a distance of almost 50 miles. Vic has been out pulling wrecked vehicles off the interstate for at least two hours. He called me a little while ago and said the fog is so thick you can't see five feet in front of you. He also said some of the cars that had been hit by tractor-trailers looked like wadded-up tinfoil. The trucks have literally run over the cars. There are tractor-trailers sitting on top of cars. Please keep a good thought for him while he's pulling in wrecks. I worry about him in situations like this.

He just called back and said that they have found another fatality. There are about 20 trucks that were involved but can drive away. There are another 40 or so that will have to be towed away. That's not counting the cars involved. The rescue squad members are still searching through cars for potential victims and fatalities.

If you want to read about the wrecks, go to our local news channel's website, wdbj7.com and look for the article "Wreck closes down interstate 77...".
    Terri B. Long Hauler, Cars and Cones participant, Land Speed Racer
    Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Re: wrecks shut down interstate

Another local TV station has a photo on their website from a cell phone at the scene. It's unbelievable.
    wsls.com Look for the article "TRAFFIC ALERT:" two dead,......
    Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

Just talked to Vic again, he still has not been able to come home. He's still pulling wrecked cars off the interstate.

Local news @ 6:00 reported a wreck in the northbound lane of the interstate at approximately the same location as the southbound wreck. The interstate is completely closed down in both directions now. They don't expect it to be back open till about 9:00 tonight, at the earliest.

Comment

That's some crazy stuff down there. Been through there many times and luckily never had to deal with fog that bad.
        I R Bob
        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Vic got home about 30 minutes ago, drenched and hungry. One of the local news stations interviewed him as he was pulling in a wreck. He will be on the 10:00 news tonight. Can't wait to see it!!

Comment

glad to hear he is back in one piece. :-*

i remember leaving on sunday morning after the spring thing. fog was so thick, i couldn't see but 10 feet in front of me. i tucked behind an 18 wheeler and rode him to safety. figured i could stop quicker than him if i needed to, and if anything got in the way, he would....well, you said it. :o

we have some pretty serious fog down here on I-4. there was a major wreck, like you just described, between Orlando and Tampa a few years ago. one of many over the years. :'(

there's been many times i've run I-4 in the fog and there is always a few idiots that run flat out like the fog isn't there. :
            Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

I travel I-77 almost daily as I live on I-81 not far from the I-77 & I-81 exchange and I have been reading about this. I am out of town and did not have to travel that way today, thank goodness. I just hope and pray they do not find any more injuried or dead.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...pssichgwqu.jpg

Comment

Here is Vic's television interview. Just click the "play" button.

Comment

Originally posted by djinva
                  I travel I-77 almost daily as I live on I-81 not far from the I-77 & I-81 exchange and I have been reading about this. I am out of town and did not have to travel that way today, thank goodness. I just hope and pray they do not find any more injuried or dead.

Hi djinva,
                  Welcome to Bangshift!! We live less than 20 miles from you! Hope we can meet sometime. The official count of fatalities/injuries is: 2 dead, 4 critically injured, and at least 20 taken to area hospitals. They also reported "injuries" from the crash in the northbound lane, but did not specify how serious. Hopefully the critically injured victims will make it.

Comment

[/quote]

Hi djinva,
                    Welcome to Bangshift!! We live less than 20 miles from you! Hope we can meet sometime. The official count of fatalities/injuries is: 2 dead, 4 critically injured, and at least 20 taken to area hospitals. They also reported "injuries" from the crash in the northbound lane, but did not specify how serious. Hopefully the critically injured victims will make it.
                    [/quote]

I hope to do the long haul this year, so maybe we can meet.

Comment

Cool!! Maybe we can all travel to Florida together!!

Comment

My brother lives in Winston-Salem and he is planning on going as well, it will also be his first HRPT. It would be good if we could hook up and travel with someone who knows what's going on.

Comment

Sounds great!! We can have our own little convoy!! It's always more fun if you can find someone to travel with.

Comment

We can introduce you to a bunch of the forum freaks at the starting line party in Sanford, Fl. Most of the ones who post on here regularly will be there. You'll meet the coolest of the cool. This party will be THE place to be on Saturday night!!

Comment

Welcome to the freaks. We will explane newbie rules later. ;D ;D
                              OH YEAH
                              Long haul 07. 08. 10, 11, and 13. Looking forward to 2014

Comment

Working...
                              X