Because I don't WANT to go to the tech section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because I don't WANT to go to the tech section

when bolting a flexplate to the block, i have 7 holes but 6 line up evenly spaced,can i leave the 7th hole empty?

do i have to install the torque converter on the shaft first and then bolt entire unit to block then bolt converter to flexplate or can i bolt converter to plate then stab trans on?

do i need to partially fill converter before install?

when boltig converter to flexplate,which goes in the trans side, the nut or the bolt?

if you are wondering why all the stupid questions....it's because i have only done clutch cars all my life,this is my first auto trans install. also,I do stupid rather well,I just like it to be inexpensive.
    Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Re: Because I don't WANT to go to the tech section

I've only used 6 bolts in the past

Install the converter on the tranny first then bolt up, otherwise you risk not getting it on the pump properly and damaging something (like cracking the housing where it bolts to the engine)

I'd put as much fluid in the converter as you can, at least a couple quarts.

The nut should go toward the tranny.

Comment

don't forget D is for DRIVE which means forward
      2007 Power Tour Long Haul
      2008 Power Tour Long Haul
      2009 Canadian Points East Tour
      2009 Power Tour Michigan Stop
      2011 Power Tour Muskegeon & Detroit Stops
      2012 Power Tour Long Haul
      2012 Northeast Rod Run
      2013 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

When the converter is properly registered in the pump, there will be about a 3/8" gap between the converter and the flexplate. If there is no gap when you are bolting up the tranny, stop and recheck the converter to make sure it went all the way into the pump. If you don't, you can crack the tranny housing (i've had to weld a few for friends). After the tranny is bolted up, reach up and slide the converter forward toward the flexplate and it will bolt up. As far as bolting, depending o n the type of converter (diameter) the bolts will hit the shell if they are too long. Make sure they don't or there can be damage to the converter.

Comment

Where's Victor when we really need him? ;D
          Non-denominational car nut.
          Ten Time Long Hauler! 2001-2011
          Do you go all the way?

Comment

thanks Leon....i've been told to listen/feel for two "clicks" when installing the converter to insure proper seating.

flex plate for clarity

Comment

Mike the 7th hole would be for a dowl pin if there was one. As leon said make sure the convertor is in all the way or you will damage the pump and cause more work. check clearence of the convertor bolts, you should be good!! Have fun 8)
              200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
              Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

Originally posted by 173rdherd
                when bolting a flexplate to the block, i have 7 holes but 6 line up evenly spaced,can i leave the 7th hole empty?

do i have to install the torque converter on the shaft first and then bolt entire unit to block then bolt converter to flexplate or can i bolt converter to plate then stab trans on?

do i need to partially fill converter before install?

when boltig converter to flexplate,which goes in the trans side, the nut or the bolt?

if you are wondering why all the stupid questions....it's because i have only done clutch cars all my life,this is my first auto trans install. also,I do stupid rather well,I just like it to be inexpensive.
                There are no threads in the 7th hole Its a dowel hole
                The torque converter goes on the trans input shaft by rotating the converter by hand sometimes up to 20 times .As you turn the converter rock it up and down and keep turning until it goes home. Usually 2 movements
                I usually try to put 1 qt of fluid in a new converter
                The nut goes in the converter.

This is Victor
                Terri B. Long Hauler, Cars and Cones participant, Land Speed Racer
                Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

I have done auto transmissions my entire life, well that was until I converted Jade over to a manual. I've never once been able to slide the converter all the way in, without tapping it. An old trick is to spin the converter while you tap it with a dead blow hammer. Don't use a ball peen, as you'll most likely do damage to the converter.

And as everyone else has stated, try to put at least a quart in the converter and once properly installed, you will have to slide the converter forward to bolt it to your fly wheel.
                  sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
                  - George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Bucky67
                    I have done auto transmissions my entire life, well that was until I converted Jade over to a manual. I've never once been able to slide the converter all the way in, without tapping it. An old trick is to spin the converter while you tap it with a dead blow hammer.
                    Wow!!! That's a lifetime of bad luck.

If I ever had to use a hammer just one time, I would think something was drasticly wrong.
                    1999 Power Tour - 3 Stops
                    2006 Power Tour Long Hauler
                    2008-2012 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

Before you even start measure the diameter of the pocket in the crank and then make sure that its the same as the back of the converter, this might be a pontiac deal but we have seen cranks where the pocket in the end is smaller than the locating bulge in the converter and this can cause problems with fitment. Clean the end of the crank with emery cloth and remove the rust etc

Comment

Ha-HA....i was freaking out thinking that was Terry B.......i knew she was a car chick but....thanks Vic.

Chief busted me on the crank end.

also i was going to use blue threadlocker on the converter bolts, should i on the flexplate as well?

Comment

Did you keep the odd flexplate bolts separated on purpose? Maybe the other two ran off with the dowel pin :
                          Donna
                          Williamston, MI
                          Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

[/quote]Wow!!! That's a lifetime of bad luck.

If I ever had to use a hammer just one time, I would think something was drasticly wrong.
                            [/quote]

When your in the middle of a race and shred your transmission, you don't have the time or luxury of cleaning each of the splines with emery cloth. When time isn't your friend, the easiest way is to simply spin the converter, while it's on the transmission input shaft, and tap it with a dead blow hammer. Now don't get me wrong, you're not beating it, was if your swinging a base ball bat. So, if that was your impression, sorry for painting that in your head.

And I hate to say it, but when your in a time crunch, and the pressure is on you, very rarely does the converter go on first time go. Tapping it just eliminates the wasted time, doesn't mean that anything is drastically wrong. ;P
                            sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
                            - George Orwell

Comment

mike...speaking of dowel pins, do i need one?

Comment

Working...
                              X