PT or drive to Alaska?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PT or drive to Alaska?

So this will be a silly question on the PT site but have some friends hounding me to do a drive trip up to Alaska. I cant afford to do the PT and Alaska. Has anyone ever done an Alaska drive? I understand the scenery is second to none and great wildlife photo ops too.

So..........did the PT in 07, tried to do it this year but Joe got sick on the way there and had to turn around. Next year, Power Tour or Alaska?
    Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Re: PT or drive to Alaska?

It's a matter of personal preference, of course. My opinion: Alaska will always be there! With the economy in the toilet like it is now, you never know when they might decide not to do Power Tour. Go while you can!!!
    Terri B. Long Hauler, Cars and Cones participant, Land Speed Racer
    Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

Doug I still haven't got to meet you yet so I would say PT........Kinda selfish I know ;D
      Alaska is besutiful from the pics my sister came home with. Dont know about the Canadian drive up there, Hope you get to do one or the other....or both
      200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
      Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

I know the photo ops going to Alaska would be better than corn fields, BUT the selfish friend in me says do PT! :-*

Linda 8)

Comment

it could be lonely in Alaska
          your 2000+ friends will miss you
          2007 Power Tour Long Haul
          2008 Power Tour Long Haul
          2009 Canadian Points East Tour
          2009 Power Tour Michigan Stop
          2011 Power Tour Muskegeon & Detroit Stops
          2012 Power Tour Long Haul
          2012 Northeast Rod Run
          2013 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

I've driven to Alaska a few times, it can be pretty brutal on your car. Broken windshields, rock chips, mud, broken leaf springs, ect.
            Originally posted by TC
            also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

If you go to Alaska . . . rent a car ! . . . with a heavy duty brush guard.
              It you go on the Power Tour . . . wash and wax !

hummmm?

Good luck,
              DTB
              DTB - RETIRED

Comment

Originally posted by bearphoto
                So this will be a silly question on the PT site but ...
                Power Tour or Alaska ?
                LOL !!!
                Yep, you got about what you thought you would ... ha, ha, ha.
                :D

Comment

OK, here i go starting trouble by going against the grain :-[
                  you've been on power tour, but not to alaska. you don't know what's going to happen in the future. do something new and adventurous while you can and while the chance exist. i'm betting power tour will be here for years to come. 8)
                  Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Doug, You live in the mountians,so you've seen them.. You get snow,so you've seen it. Buy a DVD of Alaska and play it on the way to George's house,right now it looks like Alaska. And we only got to see each other for dinner and early wake up call..Do the tour..
                    I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

But has hasn't seen their mosquitoes yet. Come drink with us Doug.....
                      Phil / Omaha

Comment

Doug, are you nuts????? GO TO ALASKA. What is there today may not be there tomorrow. Enjoy the scenery, wildlife as well as the culture of the natives. I'm so jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2006 HRPT LH
                        2007 HRPT LH
                        2011 Valdosta Stop

Comment

???Ok for those guys and gals is Alaska that cant make the PT there is a little car show in Devils Lake ND.It is called Devils Run and in 2012 that is where I am going instead of PT.The Devils Run is at the Memoral Day Week end.You can find it on the web. : : June 3 4 5 : :
                          Danny/Zachary
                          HRPT '08 LH, '09 Days 6 & 7, '10 LH

Comment

Great responses everybody! I love it. As for the drive to Alaska, one of my friends has a new jeep cherokee and she has offered her vehicle for the drive. She is aware of the windshield issues and rock chips and is still offering her vehicle. All the main roads are now in great condition (so i'm told). With all your comments, its tempting me for sure to go on the PT.

Going on the PT though means lost business as i have a major sports photoshoot during that time that i have to miss to go on the PT. (photo business, with the exception of the beauty pageants has been poor) Doing Alaska in July does not cost me in lost business.

But, someone quoted, Alaska, 3 friends, PT several thousand! Damn!!!!!!!!!!
                            Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

Yeah, some of us are still waiting to meet you......but business is business....
                              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                              X