Life Is Short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life Is Short

Last night I received the worst news of my life. One of my friends has colon cancer. At this point he has no idea which stage he is in because the colonoscopy could not be successfully completed. He was too inflammed to go further than 8" so now surgery is needed to determine the next course of action. The surgery date will most likely take place after the holidays. I have been told radiation and chemo are not options. :'(

This is just killing me because my friend is only 44 years old, has led a healthy lifestyle and is always giving of himself in some way and expects nothing in return. Life is so unfair.

Please tell show your family and friends on a regular basis how important they are in your life. You never know when a tragedy will happen to take them away from you. This way there are no regrets. With that all being said, to those of you here that I have met in the past, THANK YOU FOR YOUR FRIENDSHIP. OXOX

Live each day as if it was your last.

Denise
    2006 HRPT LH
    2007 HRPT LH
    2011 Valdosta Stop

Re: Life Is Short

Sorry to hear this Denise....and your advice is exactly right.
    We'll pray for you and your friend.
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Denise, sorry to hear of that news. You are right, tell all your friends and family that you love them regularly. For those of us in our upper years, make sure you are getting regular screening. I just turned 55 yesterday and have not had a colonoscopy. It is high on my priority now and i'll keep my fingers crossed.
      Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

Due to my family history I got one last year at 30. I had a small polyp that was removed. The procedue is not bad at all. The worse part is the crap you have to drink to clean out your system.
        Powertour off/on since 2002
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bearphoto
          Denise, sorry to hear of that news. You are right, tell all your friends and family that you love them regularly. For those of us in our upper years, make sure you are getting regular screening. I just turned 55 yesterday and have not had a colonoscopy. It is high on my priority now and i'll keep my fingers crossed.
          had my first one a few months ago at age 53. luckily, came out clean as a whistle. great relief. despite what some people say, the whole process is not that bad, and certainly worth the trouble. i have a friend that had colon cancer a few years back and the doctors got it taken care of relatively easy because they caught it real early, because my friend had a colonoscopy. GET IT DONE.
          Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

I had my first one last summer at 55 - couple polyps removed and good for 5 more years doc said.
            The wife had been after me for 10 years to get it done so it was a relief to get it over. The preparation part was not the most fun but I slept thru the procedure. I pity anyone needing it without health coverage, I could've bought an 80's Corvette with the bills I saw and thankfully did not have to pay for.
            Phil / Omaha

Comment

Denise, we lost a very good friend a few years back to colon cancer. She was perfectly healthy when suddenly started having back aches. We have a Camaro club member fight colon Cancer now and he too was just fine until he started losing weight. Dr. could find no reason for weight loss so didn't request colonoscopy. He has stage 4 but they removed the tumor and chemo is shrinking the tumor on his liver. His Dr. is even using the "cure" word in his vocabulary. Prayer sent to you and your friend.

Linda 8)

Comment

Just when I thought I couldn't cry any more. lol. Thank you very much. My friend is a fellow car enthusiast and owns his own garage in New Brunswick, Canada. His passion is building high performance engines. He had plans to build a 9 second n/a engine for his mustang as well as restore a 63 or 64 Fairlane. I can't remember which year it is. :P I hoped he would have an opportunity to participate in the HRPT at least once with the Fairlane. Now everything is in God's hands. Bless you all for your support.

Denise
                2006 HRPT LH
                2007 HRPT LH
                2011 Valdosta Stop

Comment

Found out the same news last year at this time about my dad, but with stomach cancer. It makes the holidays tough. Spend every moment you can with your friend and enjoy life, don't concentrate on the problem.

It is tough to see another "Freak" have a friend/family member go through that horrible disease of cancer.

My motto

CANCER SUCKS!
                  Long Hauler 2009, 10, 11, 12, 15 3 of 7 in 2013 5 of 8 in 2014 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Comment

our thoughts are with you & your friend Denise
                    2007 Power Tour Long Haul
                    2008 Power Tour Long Haul
                    2009 Canadian Points East Tour
                    2009 Power Tour Michigan Stop
                    2011 Power Tour Muskegeon & Detroit Stops
                    2012 Power Tour Long Haul
                    2012 Northeast Rod Run
                    2013 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

Thank you all.

Bruce, can the Canadian health care system be sued for a misdiagnosis? He was originally told months ago he had diverticulitus without having a colonoscopy done.
                      2006 HRPT LH
                      2007 HRPT LH
                      2011 Valdosta Stop

Comment

Terrible news. I hope the prognosis improves.
                        Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Best wishes for the satisfactory resolution of his condition. The fear and anxiety of the unknown is really hard to deal with. I certainly hope that they find his condition treatable and he is able to resume a healthy and happy life.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by LadyGT
                            His passion is building high performance engines. He had plans to build a 9 second n/a engine for his mustang as well as restore a 63 or 64 Fairlane. I can't remember which year it is. :P I hoped he would have an opportunity to participate in the HRPT at least once with the Fairlane.

Denise
                            Nothing is final until it's over! Maybe with a bit of luck, a lot of medicine, and some strong faith he can still get all that done in the future. None of us know how long we'll be here. We just have to make the best of the time we have been given.
                            1999 Power Tour - 3 Stops
                            2006 Power Tour Long Hauler
                            2008-2012 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

I was reading on a website that cancer can be cured easily if it's caught early and it helps to have faith, positive thinking and lots of support from friends and family. You really know who your friends are at times like this. :D Anyway, my buddy always has a positive attitude no matter what obstacles are thrown his way.

We spoke briefly over the phone tonight and he sounds good.
                              2006 HRPT LH
                              2007 HRPT LH
                              2011 Valdosta Stop

Comment

Working...
                              X