how come everyone ask me WHY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: how come everyone ask me WHY?

Gary, I have to agree that starting the freaks in 05 was so cool. To organize a bunch of gearheads from around the country and actually have them gather for a picture at Miller Park was awesome! Of course it did help that Mikee had that tall flag pole with the 2 flags flying high. It's the best feeling in the world to make new friends each year and catch up with old ones. See you in June! :-*

Linda 8)

Comment

:o :o come guys you are going to make me cry :-\ :-\
      Danny/Zachary
      HRPT '08 LH, '09 Days 6 & 7, '10 LH

Comment

I have just come to the realization in the past year or so that there are not as many car nuts that there was in the Early 80s when I built my 1st hot rod.I was out of the game for a few years. the people who really know me don't ask why but It always makes me laugh when I meet people who think owning and working on a (junk) car is an odd or uninteresting hobby.My wife keeps telling me that the hey day of hot rods and speed shops is over or something like that ,but whatever :.I will be turning wrenches and cruising till I am no longer able.we still have a good turnout at our local cruise ins. sometimes 100 cars. so I have plenty of other gearheads to hold intelligent conversations with. ;D
        It's a Tri-Power Inline six [email protected] in the 1/8th

Comment

Originally posted by 64falconsix
          I have just come to the realization in the past year or so that there are not as many car nuts that there was in the Early 80s when I built my 1st hot rod.I was out of the game for a few years. the people who really know me don't ask why but It always makes me laugh when I meet people who think owning and working on a (junk) car is an odd or uninteresting hobby.My wife keeps telling me that the hey day of hot rods and speed shops is over or something like that ,but whatever :.I will be turning wrenches and cruising till I am no longer able.we still have a good turnout at our local cruise ins. sometimes 100 cars. so I have plenty of other gearheads to hold intelligent conversations with. ;D
          Hot rodding is on the decline for sure, at least how most of us coin the term. Fast and Furious movies helped some, Rice burners may not be in the fore front for many but it is pretty incredible what has been done with many imports. Turbo four bangers running quicker than a lot of V-8 iron. Maybe we are seeing an evolution of Hot Rodding, Some are Hot Rodding on computer programs, building engines or designing cars on the screen of their desk top. There is hope, and there will always be gear heads in some form of the term, however it evolves.
          I have an early magazine the "tech" feature was about using larger wheel cylinders for more effective braking. In high school when reading magazines the tech articles were about induction systems, tunnel rams VS blowers, Now days it's alot about electronics, programs to gain performance.
          If you think back, over time gear heads started building "Jalopies" then tri fives, to muscle cars, to imports, to modern "muscle". There is hope, Hot Rods will survive although taking different avenues.
          200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
          Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

You hit it on the head George. Evolution for sure.
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr
              You hit it on the head George. Evolution for sure.

X2
              HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
              DW- 12,16,17
              "Stay thirsty my friends"
              The worlds most interesting man

Comment

one important thought to remember though, is like christianity, hot rodding is only a generation away from extinction. If we do not support and expose the hobby to the kids, it will die. See if the neighbor kid wants to go to the drags with you one weekend, take them to cruise night one time,let a kid hand you wrenches in the driveway one saturday. Be supportive(doesn't mean like or own)of the ricer/tuner end of the hobby. It's amazing the draw hot rodding has with just a little exposure. I was watching my uncle work on the carb of his 55 one day and went for a test ride and got to 60 in second gear and it began for me.
                Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

Take a kid to a car show..It will help everyone..
                  I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

Originally posted by street72
                    Take a kid to a car show..It will help everyone..
                    It really does help to broaden their horizon, and perspective on the hobby!
                    HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                    DW- 12,16,17

Comment

I LOVE heading up any type of car show. Besides racing, thats the next best thing you can do as a family and normally, you can't be the atmosphere.... 8)
                      sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
                      - George Orwell

Comment

Never forget the first time i took my 9yr old son to a cruise nite in my vette. Driving home that night with the top down he was looking up at the moon and stars (cause he couldn't see over the dash) and kept saying wow is this cool !What kid do you lnow that sits and watches the Barrett Jackson auction with his dad and says he would love to go there sometime because of all the cool cars . Hopefully my truck will be sold in a few more weeks cause i will be taking him with to order up the new ride and he gets to pick the color.
                        Has anyone seen my fan?

Comment

Originally posted by 4dfide
                          Never forget the first time i took my 9yr old son to a cruise nite in my vette. Driving home that night with the top down he was looking up at the moon and stars (cause he couldn't see over the dash) and kept saying wow is this cool !What kid do you lnow that sits and watches the Barrett Jackson auction with his dad and says he would love to go there sometime because of all the cool cars . Hopefully my truck will be sold in a few more weeks cause i will be taking him with to order up the new ride and he gets to pick the color.
                          : Looks like a new gear head is on the way :
                          Danny/Zachary
                          HRPT '08 LH, '09 Days 6 & 7, '10 LH

Comment

Originally posted by 4dfide

My daughter Megan is the junior gear head in our family. She loves going to the U.S. Nationals, playing with her lifted 03' Ram, and just about anything to do with our hobby. She goes thru the local auto trader and points out potential projects, and is very active in helping me pick out new paint designs and color combinations. And it all started with her being at the local shows with Tina and I when she was younger.
                            HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                            DW- 12,16,17

Comment

Working...
                            X