Good eats along the way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good eats along the way?

I know it's early to be worrying about the good grub situation in the cities along the way, but hey, I like good grub. I'm going to start doing some research, but looking for your recommendations on where to get the best bar-b-que along the way.

Anyone know anything about how good Smok'n Pig B-B-Q is in Valdosta, GA. It seems to have good reviews.
    Dannie
    2010 Camaro SS
    Long Haul 2010/2011
    Power Tour 2012 (Stillwater/Arlington/Optima Face Off)

Re: Good eats along the way?

We also need some really neat places to stop at from Southern California to Cocoa Beach..Whatca got???
    I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

http://priorityclub.rewardsnetwork.com/

Altho this one is tied to Priority Club, aka Holiday Inn, (Other Hotels, and Airlines also are connected to it too) I have found when I travel to a city that i have not been before I will go to one of the restaurants. They are usually not the run of the mill chains and are very good (price and quality of food) as well as unique. There is no way to tell that the restaurant is part of this network no is there anything you have to do, well except use your Credit Card that is registered with them.
      I'm always asked, "How did you find this place ?", I have to respond: er never mind it takes too long .

Even if did not use a credit card for the points, I would still visit these places, they are rated on their site and if they are not getting good rating they will leave.
      So. Central PA
      Long Hauler 2010 & 2011 (2 stops 2014) 2015

NERR 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Comment

For those staying in Sanford:

Colorado Steakhouse - left out of the HEI, a mile down the road past the light at Lake Mary Blvd., on the left side of the road. Family run steakhouse, $10 to $20 dinners. Beer,wine and booze.

Patio Grill - right out of the HEI, half mile down the road, under the overpass, on the left. Family style meals. Afew dollars cheaper than Colorado. Beer & wine, i'm not sure but i think booze also.

Willow Tree - on the main strip in down town Sanford. right out of HEI, go till you hit main street, right into the center of town. If you like German food, this was voted one of the best in the country. Get there early to get in. Lunch or dinner.
        $10 to $20. Beer & wine. Inside/outside seating.
        Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

yes, please point us in the direction of LOCAL places with good eats!

As I had started in my BBQ thread...I am on a mission to have good, local BBQ, be-damned the following results of personal "thunder and lightning" shows.

Might have to dig up me thread on this one...I need to snoop around.
          Andrew
          1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
          2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Originally posted by street72
            We also need some really neat places to stop at from Southern California to Cocoa Beach..Whatca got???
            Here you go Rett -I dare ya - Amarillo Big Tex Steakhouse
            Phil / Omaha

Comment

I used to drive a big rig and every time we got near Texas you would see the signs for this place. I don't think I could do it,so we never stopped..But I bet the steak is good..We are thinking about things to see and do on the way out. We want to leave early and take in some sights instead of flying straight there. Still looking!!!
              I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

Rett, depends on the route you want to take out to Cocoa Beach and nice to here you want to slow the pace some. I think we made some real healthy stops on the way back last year, like Burger King, McDonalds, Subway was the closet thing to good food. Anyway, off the 40 route in addition to the Big Teaxan Steak House in Amarillo, Rods Steak House in Williams, AZ is excellent. The MidPoint Cafe in Adrian, TX has great food and Awesome Ugly Crust Pie, a Route 66 survivor.

I'm starting to look for some good stops along the 10 fwy, since we are going about 2200 miles, would be nice to identify potential stops along the way. I know there is good grub in San Antonio based on some friends that live there. Just got to get the names. New Orleans has great food and I assume that will be a stop. Will keep looking.

I
                Dannie
                2010 Camaro SS
                Long Haul 2010/2011

Comment

Originally posted by Eliteman76
                  yes, please point us in the direction of LOCAL places with good eats!

As I had started in my BBQ thread...I am on a mission to have good, local BBQ, be-damned the following results of personal "thunder and lightning" shows.

Might have to dig up me thread on this one...I need to snoop around.
                  I didn't see your thread, but I'm all for searching out great BBQ along the way. Glad to see someone else has food on the brain. ;D
                  Dannie
                  2010 Camaro SS
                  Long Haul 2010/2011

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10
                    Phil, I wouldn't even attempt that, and I love to eat. I did hear when I was there that some people eat all that grub in like 10-15 minutes. Crazy.
                    Dannie
                    2010 Camaro SS
                    Long Haul 2010/2011

Comment

I was there in the 70's and was even smart enough NOT to try it then. I've also seen it on the Travel Channel I think.

Home Page for Roadside America, travel tools and guide to unusual attractions, tourist traps, weird vacations, and road trips.

See is they have a food section here Dannie... see ya soon.
                      Phil / Omaha

Comment

Hey I'm all about BBQ. Let's eat! ;D
                        I R Bob
                        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

i'm going to try and do chicken & ribs for the start line party. i have a local guy that seams to do a good job. he also makes fresh onion rings. maybe by brothers baked bean recipe. not sure what else yet.
                          Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by cobra
                            i'm going to try and do chicken & ribs for the start line party. i have a local guy that seams to do a good job. he also makes fresh onion rings. maybe by brothers baked bean recipe. not sure what else yet.
                            Those (of us) attending, we'll be able to contribute financially (moolah!) to defray the costs? rexx

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10
                              A bunch of us ate at the Big Texan when the P/T stopped in Amarillo in 2001. I saw one of the tour'ers take the challenge. You are allotted 1 hour to eat the meal. He finished in 30 minutes.

I loaded a program into my GPS that has all of the restaurants featured in the TV show "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" (Food Network). When I get hungry I look for the closest one. I didn't get to be this size by eating bean sprouts and sushi.
                              Non-denominational car nut.
                              Ten Time Long Hauler! 2001-2011
                              Do you go all the way?

Comment

Working...
                              X