Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will I be out of place on the Power Tour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I be out of place on the Power Tour?

First, a short introduction. My name is Jay. I'm 35, married with 2 kids. I was the head of our local classic car club for 5 years back when I had "older" cars. We've had at one time or another a 1976 Corvette, a 1993 Corvette, and a 1973 Mustang Convt. Mach 1 Clone. If you're interested, all these cars and more can be seen in my FQuick garage at www.fquick.com/wonkyseadonkey <---username=long story :D

Anyway, we've been out of the car scene for a while. The last car we had, the Mustang, we sold to put a down payment on our house. I've went a few years now without any toy. But, about a month ago, we purchased a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP that's been worked over pretty hard. Full list of mods on the GTP can be found on my FQuick as well. Though a lot newer, it's fun, fast, and just nice to be back into the car scene.

We have planned to hit a lot of cruise nights and car shows this summer and I've always been a fan of the Power Tour, but never participated. I did sit in the Mustang and watch it go though one year and drove just a few miles along with the pack that same year. Being nOOb's to the Tour, we are thinking of registering for just the Springfield to Topeka section this year to get a feel for it since it's close to home.

This brings me to my question.... Do you think our car will be out of place among all the other entries? A lot of members on our local Pontiac message boards don't want to participate for fear of feeling out of place or being ridiculed for our more current cars. From my past experiences, which I've tried to convey to them, most hot rodders are some of the best people on Earth and not to worry about it. What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

A few clickable pics.

Re: Will I be out of place on the Power Tour?

I would thinkthat with GM being the primary sponsor of the event, you shouold fit right in...

Comment

We have done the tour four different times and Longhauled twice, both in a 1995 Firehawk. You will fit in if you like cars! I was amazed at the diversity of the rides on tour. I have been snubbed by the local carshow scene before and I really was sceptic on our first tour. The people you will meet are just like you-Proud of their cars and love to look at other peoples cars. Join in and go as far as you can and make some friends and memories that will get you through till the next tour. That's how a Junkie gets his fix.

Comment

Our 1st PT vehicle was a 2001 SS Camaro convert. Bring the GP and have a good time. It's all about the journey and the people you meet along the way! ;)

Cheaps 8)

Comment

Dude: What's your worry? Just because many people have rear-wheel drive hobby cars doesn't mean you should feel left out or exclude yourself. I have seen some pretty cool front-wheel drive hobby cars on PT. Let 'er rip.

I have always been a Camaro guy. But my story is like yours. I had a 1987 Camaro that I special-ordered for myself as a college graduation gift. When our first child came into the picture in 1999, we evaluated our finances and needs. Then I sold the 1987 and ended up getting a more practical car...a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT. My thought was that I would spend some money on performance and appearance upgrades and be happy with owning what I called a "daddy sports car." Well, after about $4,000 in parts and my sweat equity in labor, I was pretty happy with it. I still have that car. It's roomy for our family of four, is pretty spunky and the engine/transmission have been bulletproof. But my heart has always went out to the Camaro.

In about 2002 when we were back on our feet financially, I told my wife I was gonna buy a 2002 Camaro 'cuz it was the last model year. She said OK, then changed her mind. I ended up buying a one-owner low-mileage 1998 Camaro...the first year of the last Camaro Gen4 body style changes. I still have that car and will hold onto it for a looooooong time. My six-year-old son and I really enjoy it. 2008 will mark his second year with me on PT.

Long story made short: Enjoy the hobby cars you have while you have them. Don't worry about what anybody else may think. Everybody has different tastes. See you on Power Tour.

Comment

W-bodies, esp. the blown ones, are a blast. Go have fun and just road-trip out.
            Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Not only will you not be out of place but you are very likely to find other folks with similar rides. Last year I went on the first 2 days of the tour with my visually stock 05 Goat (I installed Pedders suspension goodies). There were must have been at least a dozen of new age Goats with a similar presentation. This year I am long hauling it in the 95 Formula.

The tour isn't so much about what you run, its about being with your own kind ..... who I found always leave the door open.
              a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

If you like the car and have fun driving it, go for it. I doubt you are there to try and impress anyone. Its all about the driving and the new friends you will meet. Go for it and dont look back!
                Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

agreed with Mr. Bearphoto: all different kinds and makes of cars, everybody enjoys the driving and "hangin' out"; hey, if there's air in the tires and gas in the tank, let's roll!.........

save a horse, ride a cowboy!

Comment

There was a group that had the grand prix out on this past tour. Perrty much no one is out of place on the tour. go on it you will not regret it by any means.
                    HRPT 2004LH 2007LH 2008

Comment

Bring it on,,,There is no "Fitting In" As long as you are there,,,,"Your In" This my forth Long Haul in a row, and when it's all said and done, then all you can do is count down the days till the next one is here.
                      Living the dream!

Comment

Hey, if people will bring PT cruisers, HHR's or SSR's on the tour you should not worry at all about your car. It is more of a hot rod than any of those other choices. I have also seen people driving bone stock newer lincolns on the tour.

Welcome on board and have a blast with us.
                        1964 Chevelle
                        Power Tour 2004-2008, 2013, 2015-2016, 2018
                        LH 2005-2008, 2015-2016, 2018

Comment

Jay, I was hesitant the first time I went also. Pretty much got over that feeling on the drive to the first day when I hooked up with some other long haulers enroute. Pack your bags and go.
                          "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Pack up your stuff,come on along!It's not about what car you drive,it's about the fun you will have,things you will see,and most of all the great people you will meet!Hurry and book,hotels are going fast!

Comment

EVERYTHING is welcome at Power Tour. I've seen motorcycles, Yugos, Suburbans, Hondas, etc. No one will shun you. Go.

Comment

Working...
                              X