Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power Tour Newbie, exactly how does this work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Tour Newbie, exactly how does this work?

I'm planning on long-hauling, and this will be my first Power Tour. My 16 year old son will be with me, and we are starting to plan for this. A few questions so far:

- Cocoa Beach is listed for the first Saturday, and Georgia Motorsports Park on Sunday. Does that mean we leave Cocoa on Saturday morning and spend Saturday night in Georgia, or do we all just meet/check-in in Cocoa on Saturday and head out to GMP on Sunday morning?
    - To defray some of the costs, are there any stops that would be suitable for just camping? I wouldn't camp EVERY night, but wouldn't mind for 2 or 3 nights, maybe (see how hot it happens to be!)
    - Will be making passes at any of the track along the way?
    - I know nobody REALLY wants to talk about this, but for those of you that have done this in years past, how much did you spend altogether? Gas, rooms, food, ???
    Thanks,
    Lee Atkinson

Re: Power Tour Newbie, exactly how does this work?

I can't say much about cost... this is my first year doing all the expenses on my own... hope to share some hotels with friends.to keep the cost down there and my car should get about 25-30mpg on 87 oct.

There is a cruise night (car show) on Saturday at Port Canaveral.  That is where you check in and get you packet.  It is usually one of the.biggest shows on the your since it is a Saturday and also the first stop.  Plan on being there most of the day if not all of it. Mostly everyone will stay in that area on Saturday night.  Lots of us "freaks" from this forum will be heading to Sanford for a party. 

On Sunday there will be a drivers meeting that is optional.  Then the large group heads out from there.  If you don't go to the drivers meeting you can leave when ever you want and head for the next stop and join in the group when you want.  But I would definitely stay and leave Cocoa Beach on Sunday morning.  The drive is have the fun, driving back roads with a couple of thousand Hot Rods.

Then when you get to the next stop you repeat with another cruise night, and keep on repeating tell to you get to Detroit.  There if you have done the whole trip you stay in Detroit until Saturday morning and go to the Long Hauler ceremony and then you are free to do what you want.

Many of us are showing up in FL on Friday night.  Cocoa Beach has just announce they are holding a cruise night on Friday downtown.  Should be a lot of fun and a good time to relax after driving so long to get there. 

I am guessing since we are going to 2 dragstrips at least one of them will be open for runs, if not both.  And also sometimes local strips to other areas will open up for runs to.  Many of us are hopping since we are at the Indy 500 Speedway that we might get a chance for laps around there like Bristol and Iowa the past 2 years.

Don't know anything bout camping.  But hotel parking lot cruising, and bench racing, is almost more fun than the cruise nights, and those can get late and being able to walk inside and sleep on a bed is nice.  I stay a at mid grade hotels (super 8, days inn)  that always include breakfast.  Many Freaks stay at holiday inns.  And there are a couple that camp or go real budget hotels( motel 6)

Keep asking questions..lots of PT experience in this forum... with lots of ideas, suggestions, and answers.

And don't forget the Rookie Rule.

Everyone We Have New Freaks Among Us...... Behave and be nice!

Long Hauler 2009, 10, 11, 12, 15 3 of 7 in 2013 5 of 8 in 2014 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Comment

Hi Lee,

We leave Cocoa Beach on Sunday morning, travel to Georgia Motorsports Park. There will be a driver's meeting on Sunday morning, usually at the same place you register on Saturday.
      Don't know about camping, your best bet is to e-mail each city's Chamber of Commerce or CVB, (convention and visitor's bureau), and get them to send you tourist info, will include campgrounds.
      Usually, if we are at a racetrack, they will do some kind of activity for the PT participants.
      Cost-wise, we usually spend about $500-700 for gas (depends on price-per-gallon), about $1000-1200 for rooms, about $400-500 for meals (depends on where you like to eat, we don't do fast food). This includes breakfast, lunch, and supper.
      Make your room reservations as soon as possible, some of us have had reservations since October! The rooms sell out pretty quick.
      Plus, you will need to bring extra for t-shirts, souvenirs, etc.
      Where are you located?! Any chance you will get to Florida in time for the starting line party?! Read the thread about the starting line party. You can meet a lot of the forum freaks at the party if you can make it. Let us know where you live, maybe some of us can hook up with you on the way to Florida!

Welcome to the forum and to Power Tour!!!! It's a great big family here!!!

Terri B. Long Hauler, Cars and Cones participant, Land Speed Racer
      Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

Yeah, what Scott said!!!
        Rookie rule: Newbie buys the beer for everybody!! ;D ;D ;D
        Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

By the way, which car are you bringing on PT?

Comment

Any chance you will get to Florida in time for the starting line party?! Read the thread about the starting line party. You can meet a lot of the forum freaks at the party if you can make it.

Terri the party is on Saturday so hopefully he will be in town so he can get checked in at the first stop...other wise he won't get his long haul stuff
            Long Hauler 2009, 10, 11, 12, 15 3 of 7 in 2013 5 of 8 in 2014 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Comment

Originally posted by elcaminogirl59
              Yeah, what Scott said!!!

And I dooooo like beer!! :D
              HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
              DW- 12,16,17
              "Stay thirsty my friends"
              The worlds most interesting man

Comment

Yep...you buy the beer and we will school you on all the ins and outs :
                Never kick a fresh Turd on a hot day.....Harry S Truman

Comment

You better start looking for hotels. I'm sure they're getting booked up pretty good now but some of us have multiple rooms in cities so keep your eyes open for when someone is letting one go.

By the way, welcome to the site and PT. You're going to have a blast. ;)
                  I R Bob
                  You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                  2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Lee, welcome, hold on for a great ride! Each day the tour travels to the city that is listed. "cruise night" actually refers to the afternoon venue that consists of a giant car show, (you can come and go as you please), Stage show, and midway full of sponsoring vendors. When being a Long Hauler you need to reach each destination and punch your card at the time clocks next to the stage to qualify for the end prize. (venue wraps up at 6 or 7PM) Lots of give aways and games during the stage show. There are a wide range of motels and hotels along the way, for the first time you may want to go through powertourhotels web site. That is the Family Events booking agency. At this point in the deal you may find better prices there than direct. As far as camping goes, some like to stay at KOA's along the way. One personal note from experience, "cheaper is not always better" we have had some low price hotels that were OK and some that really sucked.
                    Make your budget what ever you are comfortable with. I feel it is better to stay in groups when lodging. Check out the hotel thread, as time draws nearer more info will come out.
                    Again, welcome to the BS power tour board.
                    200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
                    Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

Originally posted by RAIV70Judge
                      Originally posted by elcaminogirl59
                      Yeah, what Scott said!!!

And I dooooo like beer!! :D
                      I would have to second that...... Me Likey Beer!!!!
                      sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
                      - George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by GTpilot88
                        Any chance you will get to Florida in time for the starting line party?! Read the thread about the starting line party. You can meet a lot of the forum freaks at the party if you can make it.

Terri the party is on Saturday so hopefully he will be in town so he can get checked in at the first stop...other wise he won't get his long haul stuff
                        its firday night, saturday night and sunday morning
                        The youngest guy on the board
                        76 vega
                        86 fiero

Comment

Originally posted by 64casteel
                          Originally posted by GTpilot88

its firday night, saturday night and sunday morning
                          Evan, it's 9:30 in the morning central time, aren't you supposed to be studying in school or something?
                          200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
                          Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

Originally posted by 200WINS

Evan, it's 9:30 in the morning central time, aren't you supposed to be studying in school or something?
                            Remember we are snow wimps theses days ;D If there is a talk of snow they get out of school. Hey your right, he should be out shoveling or at least polishing the chrome on the car.
                            So. Central PA
                            Long Hauler 2010 & 2011 (2 stops 2014) 2015

NERR 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Comment

Welcome to the best family you will find online! Check out the different threads for info on all the activities we do while going from city to city. If you get to the area Friday afternoon, a bunch of us are visiting a local Veterans Home and would love to have you and your son join us.

Be sure to ask any questions because at one time or another we were all going on our first power tour! ;)

Our expenses from Colorado are: $600 to 1,500 for gas (depending on which car we take), $800-1,000 total for hotels coming and returning, food, fun, etc. will run between $300-$1,000. The experience and making new friends is priceless!

Linda 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X