Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Know of some good side trips along the way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Know of some good side trips along the way?

Looking for more to fill my plate with... ;D I was wandering if anyone knew of any interesting side trips that could be taken. I am from IL. so I know the Dick Clark '57 museum is pretty cool in Branson Mo. and we should be going right through there. Also Lambert's cafe and the Bass pro shop in Springfield mo. for any who are into fishing/camping/wildlife type things.

Re: Anyone Know of some good side trips along the way?

Seems like Batesville might be worth the trip if you are a Mark Martin fan.

Comment

Looks like tour is going right past the place where the plane crashed with Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, & the Big Bopper on board.
      Visit reports, news, maps, directions and info on Buddy Holly Crash Site in Clear Lake, Iowa.

The museum at Speedway Motors in Lincon NB is worth the time. This was one onf the venues on the '02 Tour.
      The Museum of American is dedicated to honor and preserve American hot rod and racing history and inspire the automotive ingenuity and enthusiasm of future generations.
      Non-denominational car nut.
      Ten Time Long Hauler! 2001-2011
      Do you go all the way?

Comment

Originally posted by Impala_Guy
        Looks like tour is going right past the place where the plane crashed with Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, & the Big Bopper on board.
        Visit reports, news, maps, directions and info on Buddy Holly Crash Site in Clear Lake, Iowa.

The museum at Speedway Motors in Lincon NB is worth the time. This was one onf the venues on the '02 Tour.
        The Museum of American is dedicated to honor and preserve American hot rod and racing history and inspire the automotive ingenuity and enthusiasm of future generations.
        Some observations: 1) I think I recall someone posting to the effect that the PT is going to and through Cedar Lake, Iowa (there's a drag strip there?); don't remember where I saw that though, but the Buddy Holly thing would make an interesting side trip; okay, let me correct myself! (one mistake every 30 years or so is okay, no?)....website for the Cedar Falls, Iowa, dragstrip, has the Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour Drag Day on June 12th (the day of the trip from Ames to Rochester, so....I guess that's where we'll be); 2) I also remenber seeing (boy, is my memory bad) someone post something that the PT was going to stop at the museum of american speed (on the way in to Lincoln, NE); the museum and the fairgrounds seem very close, but I thought I saw it somewhere (I'm looking for my mind right now; if I find it, I will re-post, I promise).........

save a horse, ride a cowboy!

Comment

Hey, I am just happy to get 1 nite in my own bed in KC between Springfield and Topeka...

Sorry, we can't make that a side trip for everyone.

R

Comment

Originally posted by nerdboy88
            Hey, I am just happy to get 1 nite in my own bed in KC between Springfield and Topeka...

Sorry, we can't make that a side trip for everyone.

R
            Why not? your back yard not big enough for 500 cars and about a 1000 people, looking for beer and brats?....hehehe...

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn
              Seems like Batesville might be worth the trip if you are a Mark Martin fan.
              Batesville and the Mark Martin Ford Dealer/Museum will be quite a bit out of the way for the trip from LR to Springfield... to go that route it would be 7 or 8 hour trip without the stop...

Comment

I know!!!! GEORGE RAY'S Wildcat HOT ROD dragstrip in Paragould, Arkansas!!!! I've never been there but I hear it is awesome. It is a dragstip built on someones farm in 1961 Very Narrow and completely old school. Look it up on the net. I think I remember seeing a show done on it. He is open on sundays for racing (at your own risk) but we can probably talk him into something on Friday or sat. Let me know if there is any intrest and I will contact him.

Comment

I too would like to see George Ray's place, if it close. That place is totally cool!
                  Living the dream!

Comment

Wheat/corn fields anybody? lol. ;D

Hasn't anybody taken the time to get any tourist books for each venue? Too bad Cheaps and I are not coordinating again this year. ;)
                    2006 HRPT LH
                    2007 HRPT LH
                    2011 Valdosta Stop

Comment

Originally posted by LadyGT

Hasn't anybody taken the time to get any tourist books for each venue? Too bad Cheaps and I are not coordinating again this year. ;)
                      Apparently not....and it's too bad that you and cheaps aren't on the tour this year; to be honest, and this might sound silly, if I were an exec with Hotrod, I would hire you and cheaps as paid consultants/coordinators for the Power Tour; all expenses paid, salaried, arranging and organizing various events, etc., etc.....but then again, maybe that's why HR (the mag) seems to be in trouble......

Comment

Originally posted by rexdogg

Apparently not....and it's too bad that you and cheaps aren't on the tour this year; to be honest, and this might sound silly, if I were an exec with Hotrod, I would hire you and cheaps as paid consultants/coordinators for the Power Tour; all expenses paid, salaried, arranging and organizing various events, etc., etc.....but then again, maybe that's why HR (the mag) seems to be in trouble......
                        Thanks for the compliment Dave! I will do as much as possible ie: VA hospital run in LR, freaks party (read Hooters or somewhere like that) in Topeka, then who knows what will happen in Lincoln! ;D Maybe "uncle Phil" will buy dinner again! lol

Cheaps 8)

Comment

Originally posted by 1cheapstreet
                          Originally posted by rexdogg

Thanks for the compliment Dave! I will do as much as possible ie: VA hospital run in LR, freaks party (read Hooters or somewhere like that) in Topeka, then who knows what will happen in Lincoln! ;D Maybe "uncle Phil" will buy dinner again! lol

Cheaps 8)
                          Didn't mean to "out" anyone, but....in my opinion, there are people, like yourself, Lady GT, etc., who are committed, interested, and knowledgeable about the tour; again, if I were an exec associated with the tour, I would have you on the payroll, big time....but that's one man's opinion, I guess...

Comment

You know my sweet husband calls me the "ultimate organizer". :-* Give me a task and I'll do the best to raise the most $$$ and make sure the participants have a good time. Thanks again, maybe carjunkie will put us on the payroll! ;)

Cheaps 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbuds1
                              I too would like to see George Ray's place, if it close. That place is totally cool!
                              i tried to get something going at george's last year when we were in little rock. i called and talked to his wife for awhile(really nice lady) and she said no racing except on sunday. she said we could come out and look around but not run. i tried to get a group together last year and got no response. if i remember right it's about 2 hours from little rock. i seen that tv show and the place looks really cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X