2011 Power Tour. Driving in memory of my Dad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Power Tour. Driving in memory of my Dad

This will be my 3rd Long Haul Power Tour. In Dec. 2009, my Dad was diagnosed with stage 3 Lung Cancer. At that time he lived in Texas I was in Chicago area. Once I found out, I immediately packed up my life and came to Texas to be with him and help out. Within a couple months (Feb. 2010), doctors removed the right half of his Lung. He made an amazing recovery and went through dozens of radiation and chemo treatments and never got severely sick. I told him about my experience during the 2009 Power Tour and he decided he wanted to go with in 2010. Without any issues we did the Long Haul. He even competed with me in the Comp Cams Trike races! (and we won Comp Cams Power Tour Photo Contest on Facebook!) It was an unforgettable time and I will never forget it!

Unfortunately in Nov. 2010 Doctors found a Brain tumor. They removed it and he survived a few more months until it came back in late January along with tumors on his spine. He passed away on Feb. 11th. I promised him I will do my best to take care of Grandma who lives here in Texas in a nursing facility battling Leukemia and Dementia. I also promised I would never sell his Corvette. He saved for years to be able to afford it. Thats why this year in memory of him I will driving his 2003 50th anniversary edition convertible on the Long Haul.

I will always remember the good times I had with him and will never forget him! I LOVE YOU DAD!

RIP
    Kenneth "Rooster" Wing
    1955-2011

Re: 2011 Power Tour. Driving in memory of my Dad

Sorry for you loss but it's great to hear you're keeping his memory alive on the tour. Welcome to BS by the way.
    I R Bob
    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

saw your posts on the HR board.....also sorry for your loss; something tells me that, somehow, as you are driving the tour, your Dad will be right there, with you.........we have a small sign in our home.."when someone becomes a memory, their memory becomes a treasure" rexx

Comment

Welcome aboard Winger - we'll keep an eye out for that pretty red vette.
        Phil / Omaha

Comment

I know where your comming from Winger....i lost my Mom on Dec 28th, i have a little trinket of hers that i will keep in my Impala all the time...hope i get to say hi to ya on the tour this year
          Never kick a fresh Turd on a hot day.....Harry S Truman

Comment

Welcome aboard Winger! You won't find a better, more caring bunch of folks around. See you in June in that beautiful Corvette!

Linda 8)

Comment

:Welcome aboard Winger.My deepest sympathy for you and your family's loss. Bunch of good people on the B S site.
              Danny/Zachary
              HRPT '08 LH, '09 Days 6 & 7, '10 LH

Comment

Welcome aboard Winger.
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Glad to to have on here,I know how you feel I lost my Dad last june.Welcome to your new family of freaks ;D
                  Longhauler 2009,2011
                  Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans

Comment

Welcome to BS. Sorry for your loss. I also took my Dad on the long haul in 2010. We were sopposed to go in 09, but he had triple bipass on the day we were going to leave. Luckily he was around for 2010. He is still around, my Brother and I are long hauling this year. Hope to see you. I know you will have a good time.
                    OH YEAH
                    Long haul 07. 08. 10, 11, and 13. Looking forward to 2014

Comment

Sorry for your loss man, bummer.
                      Welcome aboard.
                      Make sure at the random 4 way stops on the hiways and by ways, you do a couple good smoky burnouts for yer pops.
                      Andrew
                      1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                      2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

welcome to the madness Winger....what part of Texas are you in?
                        Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Winger ... look forward to meeting you on Power Tour.
                          Are you coming to the Forum Freaks Starting Line Party on Saturday night ?

Ride the wind "Rooster", rest easy !!

Comment

Welcome Winger! Nice tribute to your dad!
                            Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Originally posted by 173rdherd
                              welcome to the madness Winger....what part of Texas are you in?
                              I'm in East Texas (Longview)...I'm about 3-4 hours from Houston. Actually I may be in the area St. Patricks day weekend for TX2K11.

Forum Freaks Starting Line Party on Saturday night??? I think thats a yes...i'm booking hotels this weekend so I'll have a definite answer then.

Comment

Working...
                              X