Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let the insane Thrash begin!!! I love deadlines NOT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let the insane Thrash begin!!! I love deadlines NOT!

Welll as I stated earlier this year I thought I would take a different car this year to long haul since my others are getting worn out from all the rain!!!! I pulled the motor out of my Monte ss Aerocoupe Thursday night knowing good and well the main bearings needed a look after the comp. cam going bad. Now keep in mind the car has been sitting in the shop for 4 years! This was for good reason due to the fact that I have had Moparitis for 2 years now! So if all goes well and all I need is some main bearings and a crank polish she should get a new heart in two weeks. I also need to replace the front cam bearing since it got a little scuffed pulling the old cam while it was in the car! So here we go, some motor building, new pretty goodies and some detail paint. Oh yeah anybody convert a R12 to 134a? That will definately be needed for the defrosters and air for the rain storms right? Pics to come!

Re: Let the insane Thrash begin!!! I love deadlines NOT!

Put your Grand National motor in it!!!
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Could it be you were just procrastinating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! . If you want to drive them old heaps ;D you need towork on them. Just put the front end on the 46 and can actually drive it around a little. The box should be painted Tuesday evening if no one bothers me too much. Yhings are looking up.

Comment

as of right now the camaro just needs a new stereo system so i'll put that off untill the middle of may. right now my focus is trying to get the 47 ford running in good enough condition to bring it. it has been sitting for about 23 years so i'm not sure what all it will need. i got it running on it's own power this weekend. i can drive it around the yard right now but i can't stop so i have to watch where i'm going. the brakes need to be worked on so i can get it to stop and then drive it around to see what else needs to be fixed. i do know there is an oil leak that needs to be stopped.

Comment

Hmmm R134 from R12. Yup, I have done it. It's not quite as good as the R12 is. Does not blow as cold. In the older systems which mine was a 78 Bandit Trans Am from last year, I actually changed it back to R12. While consumers cannot buy R12 anymore, AC shops can still get it (at least here in CA and we are about as restrictive as you can get). Its an easy change if you want to do it yourself. Just buy the kit at your local parts store. You will need to "evacuate" your system as the two different oils dont mix well. Keep us posted.
          Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

If you go from R12 to R134a, you should look into upgrading the condensor and recalibrating the Orifice/POA valve.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

My nice shiny new motor runs great, BUT!!!!! now I can pull the tranny to get at the back of the motor to reseal one of the plugs on the back of the block of the motor by the cam. There is an annoying oil leak that is really bothering me. The 46 is going for glass on Monday.I did not want to haul it to get the glass done,but a glass company near me has been draging their feet for over 3 weeks. They gave me a quote of$600 to put in all glass. The front windsheild will be urethaned in and no longer open hopefully stoping any of the anoying leaks with a window that opens.

Comment

Well I will pull my crank tomorrow. I had a couple of boxes show up from Summit today with some needed parts and a few shiny bits. Haven't had much time to work on it this week due to all the tornadoes and flooding rains down here in the dust bowl? of Oklahoma!

Comment

i finally got the master cylinder rebuilt but still no pressure. ordered the parts to rebuild the brake cylinders this weekend. we'll see if that fixes the problem.

Comment

I use to have a case of the R12, just lost in all my junk.
                    HRPT 2004LH 2007LH 2008

Comment

We have lots of R12 since Ken does HVAC. ;)

Cheaps 8)

Comment

Any one ever had a vehicle Vapor Lock? My 46 seemed to do some funny things after it warmed up. Almost like it flooded out. The temp jumped about 15 degrees and then it just stopped . after it cooled down it fired right up never missing a beat. Just before it died I had virtually no throttle response. Alittle, blubbery. Temp went to about 210. And then nothing . I have a thin gasket between carb and intake. Too little? Fuel line extremely close to heater hose and was extremely hot (to me). Any suggestions. It seems to idol fine and does not run hotin driveway. Ran down road and back and parked in drive, idol for a few minutes and then it happened. It is a new motor. 305, flat tops, mild cam, Edelbrock carb,holley intake. It seemed a little slugish but with 2.89 gears it is a highway truck. The 29 chev wiyh 3.73 gears seems to jump out of its skin and the 46 is moderately OK. No speed demon off the line, One issue at a time.

Comment

when it warms up normally, and you watch the temp/ gauge ( normal driving) does the temp go and past normal, then back to normal, when the thermostat opens up?

Comment

my jeep dos that but this truck does not. It will rise to 195 and usually stay there.This is a new motor that is not really totally broke in. I would expect it to run a little warmer being new and hopefully tight. But why would it not rev up and then totally die. Will turn over but not start untill cooler. Vapor lock? It is still the original radiator which was flushed. I still needto add a catch/pressure tank to the overflow. It is an open system.

Comment

if it does ... most likely the intake manifold gasket is leaking. sounds weird but true!

Comment

Working...
                              X