Removable stickers and decals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removable stickers and decals

Early last year a friend of mine told me how to make cherished stickers or decals removable from windshields, or other items. This is one way to avoid the issue of broken glass, rock chips, or other reasons that result in the loss of say, HRPT stickers. I'm sure there are other methods, but this one works pretty well. Wish I had learned this tip sooner........

Most sign shops that do vinyl signs have 'clear self-adhesive vinyl'. It comes in rolls, and is expensive, but I beg for scraps to get mine......it is a clear vinyl, with a mildly 'sticky' side that is protected by a backer sheet:

Apply your sticker just as you would to your windshield, taking care not to stretch it and to remove all air bubbles. Put it on the vinyl side. You get one chance at this:

Once it is in place, trim off the excess vinyl (and maybe the sticker itself, like the white around the 2009 arrow....) while the backing is still in place:

After trimming, peel off the backing and you have a removable sticker!

As you can see, it will adhere well to the glass, and if you need to move it, or put it on another windshield, it's easily done.

I hope this tip is beneficial to you, and if you have questions, well, here's the thread.
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Really cool idea. I thought about that problem on my Buick, which has a big rock chip in it. It's been repaired so it won't grow, but if I ever redo the car the windshield will be replaced. There goes my long hauler sticker(s).

So If you have to beg for scraps, how hard do I have to beg YOU to bring some to the starting line party for my wife's car?

And I noticed that the exterior sticker on my back window is already curling at the top and it's from 08. The thing never leaves the garage so what's the life expectancy of those?

I guess if you are REALLY hardcore, an extra sticker only costs $73 at the start, LOL Need to corner the hot rod staff and ask them about extras after the events (they'd be useless to them after, right?). It seems kinda silly now, but in 30 years people will be looking for that kinda stuff. Ever check out an unrestored super stocker and see the old event stickers stuck on their windows? They tell one hell of a story without saying a word.

Comment

No Chevrolets were hurt in the making of this instructional piece.

P.S. - I called Family Events after I got home from 2009 to see about another sticker but they said absolutely not, they had to keep all extras for accounting/audit purposes. Oh well -
      Phil / Omaha

Comment

LOL!
        I don't really beg for the scraps, I just ask them to save them for me, which, doesn't always work since I can't go by the shop very often. I'll see if I can come up with some 'extra' pieces.
        I guess you could use the same stuff for outside decals/stickers.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

Ed, Thanks for the tip. I stopped by the sign shop at lunch today and they gave a piece of scrap cling material big enough to do the stickers for Norb and myself. They were really glad to give it to me because I recently had them make me some new Long Haul Gang decals because the old one on the Vette was peeling and tearing along with the Power Tour 2008 decal. Fortunately I still had a replacement for it.
          Jim & Maureen
          There is a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!!
          HRPT Long Haulers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013

Comment

Glad to help out Jim, and glad you found the material so quickly. Looking forward to seeing you guys in about 2 weeks.
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

I think its called "clear static cling" you can get it at hobby lobby or any craft store.....will check on later this week....
              That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

we tried hobby lobby and michaels and were relatively unsucessful as, dont be fooled by decal paper. hobby lobby had a 9 pack for 16.00 but only one 9x12 sheet was clear. I just bought the real deal at Reese supply that's clingy on both sides
                Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

Good info. I just went lasst week to get my state inspection, and they would not do it because of the HRPT stickers on the windshield. The state will only allow two decals on the windshield. So now if I can get them off, I can get my inspection and then put them back on each time. Now, does any one know how to get the old decals off without tearing them up>

Thanks Ken
                  PT 2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2014-2015
                  1970 EL CAMINO

Comment

Originally posted by BLUE STREAK View Post
                    Good info. I just went lasst week to get my state inspection, and they would not do it because of the HRPT stickers on the windshield. The state will only allow two decals on the windshield. So now if I can get them off, I can get my inspection and then put them back on each time. Now, does any one know how to get the old decals off without tearing them up>

Thanks Ken
                    Now that is the million dollar question
                    Donna
                    Williamston, MI
                    Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

Glad I am in Missouri with historic plates. I don't have to worry about a state safety inspection.

Can't wait to see everybody!!!!
                      Jim & Maureen
                      There is a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!!
                      HRPT Long Haulers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013

Comment

Originally posted by BLUE STREAK View Post

Thanks Ken
                        Well, I have done this in the past with vinyl stickers. If they are down in the corner of the windshield you are in for a tough task. Start off, get you some blue painters tape, regular masking tape will work too if that's all you have but it may be tough to remove later. Inch wide stuff is sufficient. Apply the tape over the back of the sticker, overlap it some with each pass, and then when it's covered, go 90 degrees and do a second layer across it. The purpose of the tape is to help prevent it from stretching as you will inevitably end up pulling on it. These stickers may not stretch as much as exterior vinyl but i'd tape it to be sure. Next step, get you a brand new razor blade or two. You will need to "surface" the new blade. Take a sharpie and mark the side of the blade that will be the top (either side, or if it is stamped on one side like some are then just make the stamped side the top side). You surface it by dragging it backwards over something to take the burrs off the bottom side. They get burrs on them during the sharpening and cutting process, especially on the corners, and those burrs are what scratch your glass and also hold the blade up off the surface a microscopic amount, which in turn causes it to leave glue behind when scraping. I've used fine sandpaper (like 1500 or so) or a smooth block of wood or even smooth concrete in a pinch. But anyway lay it down at the normal angle for scraping stuff and drag it backwards a few times and it will be ready for use. If you drop it, throw it away and make another it will likely have a burr on it. If you have them down in the corner where you can't get both hands you may try clamping a needle nose vice grip on it as an extension but don't bend the blade. ANYWAY, start peeling the tape and when you get to the sticker use the blade to make sure that it all peels up including the glue and try not to stretch it during the process. Slower is better. If you get across it without screwing up you can then stick it wherever and peel the painters tape off the back. I've done this successfully many times and I've also screwed them up quite a few times. But if you gotta peel it anyway it's worth a shot and this method is the best i've found.

Sorry for the book.
                        Last edited by boosted buick; May 18, 2011, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Thanks Man......detailed instructions are always better!
                          Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

Great! How do you make them 'sticky' again......I thought about aerosol contact cement, but it dries a little 'yellow'.......
                            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

If they aren't too old and you get all the glue off and don't finger it up, they usually restick pretty good, depending on lots of factors. cleaning and drying the blade with alcohol before use will help the glue stay clean and sticky. Some are just better than others. Sometimes you end up with a stubborn corner that won't stay down, usually the corner you started on gets wrinkled up a bit. Thought about trying a hair dryer on the glue first before re sticking. Wouldn't need the extreme heat of a heat gun, just "warm" ought to help. Otherwise you might go ask the vinyl shop if they have anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X