What is a typical afternoon on the tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a typical afternoon on the tour

Can someone give me an idea of a typical day? My bride and I will be doing the long haul for the first time. Other than buying the veterans beers all the time what goes on. I can live for a week on hot dogs, but my bride would like at least one good meal a day. After driving all day, I would like to go the the evening venue, but also need to fit the supper into the mix. How late do the evening venues run?

Re: What is a typical afternoon on the tour

"buying the vets beer"...an excellent idea, one way to make and keep very important friends...okay, more serious: the venue is usually done about 6 pm or so (give or take, depending on mainstage giveaways); depending on the city, many of the cruisers return back to their hotels, then either hang out, or cruise to another location, based on local events/restaurants/bars, etc.; google or mapquest searches, and surfing the info boards (like this one) will reveal restaurants, cruises, events (like the cruiseapalooza in Little Rock on Friday, June 6th, or the musical band sponsored by Cherry Bomb at the final stop in Madison, WI, on Friday, June 13th); depending on the city, many of the cruisers will join up and go to....well, wherever every else is going (for example, 1cheapstreet (Linda, a master planner) might be joining the tour in Topeka (for a couple of stops)...if she says "that's where we're going"..then that's where we're going.....additional: to get an idea of the venues, go to either youtube or powertvonline.com then search power tour, videos there re: the tour....

Comment

ANOTHER NEWBIE!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D I'M GETTING THIRSTY!

Comment

you will see some of the funniest shit right in your hotel parking lot....talk about a tail gate party.....!!!come on june!!!
        Never kick a fresh Turd on a hot day.....Harry S Truman

Comment

Most important of all,Canadian vets are the ones you want to be friends with,they are most happy when thirts are quenched regularly.Besides that we drive,drive some more,then drive a little longer,followed by great thirsts.Stay close,I won't let you stray! ;D

Comment

Welcome to the tour! Having a new bride isn't there something else you'll be doing?! :-\ : ;D We will have one heck of a good time in Topeka, details later. Enjoy the trip, but watch out for the Canadians! LOL ;)

Cheaps 8)

Comment

I agree with Cheaps that maybe there is something else you should be doing as newlyweds! Just remember someday it will stop of course that is only after having babies during the power tour!!! Go to the venue stick around a while and get your goodies. When they used to have the locals park in a seperate area I loved to walk and look at the local flavor, that used to be great! They came to see us and we go to see them, man I miss long haul parking! I always make room for 1 good meal a night since I usually eat the free hotel food for breakfast and catch a small lunch somehwere. Lets face it I am a big ol country boy and I need my food! Of course leave room for some sleep after the hotel partying! Try to live the night life but the tour is much better with a little sleep, case in point New Orleans! I now a few of us vets remember that hangover and rough road the next day!

Comment

The bride and I were married on May 26th, 1972. Over the years, I have discovered she would rather be called my bride than my old lady, or just about other term for your significant other. Alot of what you think we should be doing probably won't happen, but thats OK.
                I was under the assumption that the evening venues went til like 9PM. It you get there at 3 or 4, stay til 9, that gets pretty late to eat, unless you eat the typical fair style food. If the venues are over by 6, that'll work just fine.
                I'm more of a partyer than she is, but hotel parking lots work for me.

Thanks for the info
                Gary

Comment

Originally posted by a-body2

Thanks for the info
                  Gary
                  Liquor store parking lots are even better as long as you can get a ride to your room :

Comment

Originally posted by a-body2
                    The bride and I were married on May 26th, 1972. Over the years, I have discovered she would rather be called my bride than my old lady, or just about other term for your significant other. Alot of what you think we should be doing probably won't happen, but thats OK.
                    I was under the assumption that the evening venues went til like 9PM. It you get there at 3 or 4, stay til 9, that gets pretty late to eat, unless you eat the typical fair style food. If the venues are over by 6, that'll work just fine.

Thanks for the info
                    Gary
                    Congrats to you and your bride on so many years...I thought I had been married awhile (August, 1973), but come to think of it, we met in August, 1966 (grade schoolers); at any rate, I don't think the venues go till 9 pm (I never stayed around that long to find out); I always found myself drifitng out by 6 pm or so, to get back to the hotel, find someplace to eat or hang out, see what some of the other cruisers were doing....speaking of hotel parking lots, last year in Cleveland (Ramada, I think, anyway)....what a blast in the parking lot (until the wee hours).....

Comment

I am glad you have your priorities straight on keeping the Veterans coolers full. ;D
                      Outside of the various events and gatherings in the evenings, the typical day starts at the event location where you will have a drivers meeting and they will cover the route and any updates to the days events. Usually there is a lunch stop somewhere along the route. This stop will usually be at a place of automotive interest, or a park setting. The best part of the afternoon cruise to the event is the drive on the back roads of the U.S. I do not enjoy finding the closest 4 lane then blasting to the next event stop. In my estimation, when you hit the freeways, you miss on of the best parts of the Power Tour. Driving thru the small towns and seeing the locals line the street to greet you is a hoot.
                      Once at the next event, we usually park, hit the vendors a bit, then check out the cars, share some war stories, do some bench racing, then depending if there is a local cruise or event, head out to eat, then hang out in the parking lot. Events are usually raped up in plenty of time for a nice dinner somewhere. Which reminds me, I need to reserch where the Hooters are located in each host city. I will get a post going in the next day or two.

Congrats on the wedding. I think your new bride will like the cruising the back roads of the U.S.

Comment

I think (but not sure), that Ames, Iowa, and Rochester, MN, are the two places on the Tour stop where there aren't Hooters....but you might search Buffalo Wild Wings. another great place (and Quaker Steak and Lube in Madison, WI).....just some ideas....

Comment

We don't always stay at the venue until it closes. It is fun to get out and support the local restaurants and try the local cuisine. Some of these places we may never get through again so we try see the area. That way you also get to the parking lot earlier and may even have time to cruise.
                          Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Some nights you may have stuff to do too, like test the line-lock.
                            Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Originally posted by moparjim71
                              Some nights you may have stuff to do too, like test the line-lock.
                              Let us not forget to get all the smoke out of the new tires.
                              Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Working...
                              X