Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redragtop View Post
    Probably muttering something by now
    Mutter Mutter Mutter (see my pondering post)

Soooooo, the gearvendors is out and in pieces on the bench. The tailshaft housing is removed, the annulus (output shaft) is out and the tailshaft bushing is out. The bushing was spining in the housing. The housing looks OK - there is one ring about 1/8" wide and 1/2" down the housing bore that looks like it matches one of the bearing tangs (where the two ends are joined). You can barely feel it with your findernail and it does not corkscrew out the bore like you might expect if the bushing was spinning while working its way out to the seal. The old bushing was not "loose" in the housing but it didn't take any effort with my 40 oz persuader to remove it. The new bushing apears to be at least .001 larger OD and MAYBE as much as .002. Very hard to tell since the bushings are not concentric - afterall why would anyone expect anything to be well made now adays!

I am going to install the new bushing in the old housing with a generous amount of Permatex High Temperature Sleeve Retainer and let it cure for a few days while I wait for the gasket kit to come from GearVendors.

I am going to spend Saturday (tomorrow) "modifying" the extension housing on the C6 (gearvendors provided short truck version) so a normal human can get the nuts off the studs used to hold the gearvendor unit to the C6. I knew when I orginally installed it that I would be kicking myself in the ass for not dealing with it then. It took less than an hour to drop the exhaust, driveshaft, cross member, shift cable and emergency brake cables and remove 6 of the 8 nuts. The other two nuts took an additional 3 HOURS!

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Soooooo, the gearvendors is out and in pieces on the bench. The tailshaft housing is removed, the annulus (output shaft) is out and the tailshaft bushing is out. The bushing was spining in the housing. The housing looks OK - there is one ring about 1/8" wide and 1/2" down the housing bore that looks like it matches one of the bearing tangs (where the two ends are joined). You can barely feel it with your findernail and it does not corkscrew out the bore like you might expect if the bushing was spinning while working its way out to the seal.

I am going to install the new bushing in the old housing with a generous amount of Permatex High Temperature Sleeve Retainer and let it cure for a few days while I wait for the gasket kit to come from GearVendors.
      Sounds good Allen. And, thanks for the translation. I thought you were going to say something about someones anus
      Donna
      Williamston, MI
      Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

I am going to spend Saturday (tomorrow) "modifying" the extension housing on the C6 (gearvendors provided short truck version) so a normal human can get the nuts off the studs used to hold the gearvendor unit to the C6. I knew when I orginally installed it that I would be kicking myself in the ass for not dealing with it then. It took less than an hour to drop the exhaust, driveshaft, cross member, shift cable and emergency brake cables and remove 6 of the 8 nuts. The other two nuts took an additional 3 HOURS!
        Sounds like another "good" idea. That tool just sounded expensive, but the price seems to be dropping by the hourly rate
        Donna
        Williamston, MI
        Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by redragtop View Post
          Sounds like another "good" idea. That tool just sounded expensive, but the price seems to be dropping by the hourly rate
          Well, if you want to be truely fair about it - the +8 hours (3 getting 2 nuts off and 5 1/2 modifying the C-6 tailhousing) shouldn't really be charged to the bushing job. Instead it should be charged to me for being a dumbass lazy yahoo and not fixing it when it was all brand new and laying on the floor several years ago.

Now there are two ways to look at from this point on - modifying things so they are actually servicable will either insure that I NEVER need to take the gear vendors out while the transmission is in the car OR it will make putting a new tailshaft housing on when my halfass fix fails much easier. As to the fix itself, the bushing drove in with some snugness - I didn't have to wail on it with my big hammer (40oz) but it did take some effort.

Finally, it isn't like I have anything better to do with my time so it is hard to say that saving 8 hours on a job would benefit me in any way other than increasing my TV time.

Comment

I understand

Comment

Working...
            X