Your 2012 power tour ride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
    Nice stuff - welcome aboard --- I'm sure Ed is drooling on your cars all the way from Florida.
    so that's what this is.......and I thought this was a winter rain storm......
    Last edited by oletrux4evr; December 20, 2011, 06:17 PM.
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Thanks guys. Figured it might be time to get out of lurk mode and say, "hey".
      Attached Files
      -Jim
      "I can fix it. My old man is a television repairman. He's got the ULTIMATE set of tools."

Comment

• Originally posted by 66Fury3 View Post
        Old is such a negative word..... I'm just Mature.....
        Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
        So I need to behave if I'm mature - nevermind.
        Perhaps this is what you are refering to...

Originally posted by redragtop View Post
        I believe the jury is still out on that one Ed

You too Phil
        Not this...

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
        Could this be a simple spelling error? Perhaps the "T" was supposed to be an "N"
        Although Bob's answer would sound better if Ed and Phil aren't involved
        Donna
        Williamston, MI
        Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

• Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
          Nice stuff - welcome aboard --- I'm sure Ed is drooling on your cars all the way from Florida.
          As Phil said, Welcome aboard Jim..... And yes Phil, I am drooling over his Mopars.....

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
          1966 Plymouth Fury III
          2014 Dodge Ram 1500
          Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
          Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
            I ran a mechanical roller for 3 years on tour in my Ford. Since I have had the joy of experiencing a grenaded lifter before I tended to error on the safe side and therefore replaced the lifters ($$$$$$$$$$$) every year along with a very close inspection of the spring pressures. I also carried a spare set of lifters in the car just in case as it is somewhat harder to pick up a set of lifters for a Ford at Kmart.
            Oh man, I was cool until your last comment...lol. What kills the lifters? The cam is only a .550 lift so I don't imagine the springs will be super heavy. The rear end has 3.42's and I will be running a TH200R4 so I don't imagine I will be reving the motor higher than 1800rpm during cruising. Maybe less with the lockup engaged. We'll see how it goes. I plan on driving the car to Austin, Tx in April for the Lonestar Roundup which is about a 600 mile roundtrip for me. We'll see how it does.

Comment

• I'll post a pic tomorrow. We are going to pick it up in the afternoon.
              OH YEAH
              Long haul 07. 08. 10, 11, and 13. Looking forward to 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by 66Fury3 View Post
                As Phil said, Welcome aboard Jim..... And yes Phil, I am drooling over his Mopars.....
                Welcome... I'm not even a mopar person and I'm drooling. Amazing rides
                '95 S10: 350sbc/th350 (for now)
                '05 Cobalt SS: 13.4@105 (boost + money = fun)
                '03 GSXR1000: exhaust, stacks, filter, PCIII, nitrous, plenty of other stuff
                GO CAPITALS!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by hoofhearted View Post
                  I'll post a pic tomorrow. We are going to pick it up in the afternoon.
                  You're such a tease Jim.
                  I R Bob
                  You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                  2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

• Originally posted by Toecutter View Post
                    ... What kills the lifters? ...
                    First off - this was my first roller cam combination and I was stupid! I didn't do enough research on spring pressures. The cam wasn't that big ~.673 lift with duration of 257 @ .050. The problem was I bought a set of heads from Kaase that had "roller springs" installed. They were 250# on the seat and over 700# over the nose. Added to that the lifters where not drilled for pin oiling and I drove the piss out of it on the street with lots of idleing.

Soooo, be sure your valve springs are appropriately sized for the cam AND in good condition. If you don't check your springs periodically, I would strongly reccomend you buy an on head tester just so you can chart how much they are softening up. Most of the quality springs I have used seem to soften about 10% initially then stay there until they start to go dead. Nothing will kill roller lifters faster than letting them bounch on the cam. The other important feature is pin oilers - most all the good quality lifter manufactures offer a lifter with pin oilers. I used Crower HIPPOs but pick your favorite vendor and buy their good stuff.

As to the last statement - I carried a used set of lifters in case I was lucky enough to catch it before it had the chance to do catistrophic damage to the engine. Nothing puts metal debree through an engine better that a lifter body grinding up a billet cam lobe!

Aggressive solid roller cams on the street are very cool but not for the faint of heart. Good luck - see you on tour.

Comment

• Originally posted by hoofhearted View Post
                      I'll post a pic tomorrow. We are going to pick it up in the afternoon.
                      Ahh Jim - did you post in the wrong thread or are you testing meds for the EMT again?
                      Phil / Omaha

Comment

• Meds...Did someone mention meds...
                        I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

• Welcome aboard Jim, and I like your Mopars too.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1956NY150 View Post

Step 2

Bob,...you dont need that much wiring to install the stereo!
                            HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                            DW- 12,16,17
                            "Stay thirsty my friends"
                            The worlds most interesting man

Comment

• Originally posted by Toecutter View Post
                              Every year we plan for the Tour and then something comes up. So here we go again. The plan was to bring our Malibu Wagon on the Tour. But we have decided to take our 1978 Trans Am instead. Going to need a little bit of work to be ready. But not as much work as the wagon needed. Only concern right now is the solid roller in the Pontiac 400. Anyone else have experiance with running solid cams on a long tour? Should I keep it or pull it out?

I ran a solid roller in the Judge in 09. It went the distance, but there was some damage after I tore that engine down. I think it was a combo of spring pressure, and long cruising rpms in the 2700 range,
                              HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                              DW- 12,16,17
                              "Stay thirsty my friends"
                              The worlds most interesting man

Comment

• Originally posted by RAIV70Judge View Post
                                Bob,...you dont need that much wiring to install the stereo!
                                That's not for the stereo, that's for the under car neon he's adding!
                                I R Bob
                                You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                                2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Working...
                                X