Where to eat in Power Tour venue cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to eat in Power Tour venue cities

I have read a lot of words in these sacred forums about where the best place to eat is in various cites along the 2008 Power Tour route. But there is no specific topic on the issue. We all need to eat. It's part of the human condition. Here are two of my favorites:

Ames, IA: Hickory Park - I lived in Ames for 4 years. This place starts smoking all of its meat at about 0400 daily (pork, chicken, beef). I never got tired of going there regularly. They even have good macaroni salad...imagine me liking carbs that are not in a bottle!

Madison, WI: Quaker Steak & Lube - just a cool venue in itself

Anybody else have some to add?

Re: Where to eat in Power Tour venue cities

There is a place in Little Rock called "Cotham's" 1401 West 3rd Street. They have a burger there called "the Hubcap", for obvious reasons. Call your cardiologist ahead of time! :o

Comment

Hickory Park in Ames is very good but a ways from the venue and always very busy. Also could be crowded and a tight parking lot for rods or nice cars. Some of the folks dont care about door dinging ya. Large portions but I usually need a nap afterwards. For lighter meal and deli sandwich type, I always eat at either Jimmy Johns on Welch Ave just off of Lincoln Ave going west towards college town, beats Subway and Quiznos hands down, or just past JJ's on Welch is a place called Battles BBQ. Smoked meats, excellent but smaller portions. Old Chicago is also very good on Kelloge Ave just off of hwy 30 near Duff Ave. Okaboji Grill on Duff near the corner of Lincoln and Duff is really good. If you like Pizza then go to Great Plains Sauce and Dough company on Main Streenot to far from the venue going back east on Lincoln and a block north on Duff to Main.
      In Rochester if you like BBQ and smoked meats with crispy fried potatoes, some might call them Joe Joes, eat at John Hardys. Every time we go to Roc we eat at John Hardys. Large portions there too.

Comment

Here are some places listed from our friend Guy (Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives):

Brint's Diner
        4834 E. Lincoln Street
        Wichita, KS 67218
        Tel: (316) 684-0290

Cafe on the Route
        1101 Military Ave.
        Baxter Springs, KS 66713
        Tel: (620) 856-5646

BBQ Shack
        705 N. Pearl St.
        Paola, KS 66071

Grinder's
        417 E. 18th St.
        Kansas City, MO 64108
        Tel: (816) 472-5454

39th Street Mama's
        3906 Waddell St.
        Kansas City, MO 64111
        Tel: (816) 531-6422

YJ's Snack Bar
        128 W. 18th St.
        Kansas City, KS 64108
        Tel: (816) 472-5533

Al's Breakfast
        413 14th Ave. S.E.
        Minneapolis, MN 55414
        Tel: (612) 331-9991

Psycho Suzie's Motor Lounge
        2519 Marshall St. NE
        Minneapolis , MN 55418
        Tel: (612) 788-9069

The Nook
        492 Hamline Ave. S.
        St. Paul, MN 55116
        Tel: (651) 698-4347

Franks Diner
        508 58th St.
        Kenosha, WI 53140
        Tel: (262) 657-1017

Here's the link to the Food Network show "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives". Those of you from the 2005 Power Trip should remember Guy as the emcee at the stops on stage. If any forum members can vouch for & or tell us if any of these can be feasable stops during the tour please let us know.

I hope this helps in some way.............later guys & gals
        That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

If you like good food and want some EXCELLENT food all you can eat entrees'. Meaning if you can finish what you ordered you can have more for free. NOT BUffET. Home style good food with an awesome atmosphere you have to stop at Lambert's cafe in between Branson mo and Springfield MO. Unbelievable food and atmosphere. Just watch out for the rolls.....people have been known to be hit by them before. And no I don't work for them....I just like to eat! ;)

Comment

Great place Burn, it would be enuff to accomodate a large group of people.....im sure a lot long haulers would love to get there rolls throwed at them. I have been to the in Gulf Shores in Alabama. Kudos on a perfect choice!

Comment

Originally posted by BURN_M
              If you like good food and want some EXCELLENT food all you can eat entrees'. Meaning if you can finish what you ordered you can have more for free. NOT BUffET. Home style good food with an awesome atmosphere you have to stop at Lambert's cafe in between Branson mo and Springfield MO. Unbelievable food and atmosphere. Just watch out for the rolls.....people have been known to be hit by them before. And no I don't work for them....I just like to eat! ;)

This place is a "must see" if you have never been there. The wait can be pretty long but once you are seated they are VERY fast and the food is VERY good. It is well worth a 1 1/2 hour wait if you have never been there.

Comment

Yup, sure do know of a few. This about 40 miles before you get to Rochester. Austin Minnesota.

These restaurants are all in downtown Austin. Here is the Chamber of Commerce listing:

White's Tendermaid on You Tube:
                Tendermaid Sandwich Shop of Austin has been in business for 69 years. Gary and Sara White are the proud owners.They call themselves "Minnesota's oldest hambu...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Piggy Blues home page:

El Mariachi:

I grew up in Austin and every time I come home on leave I go to the Tendermaid. It has been in business almost 70 years now. Small but good, just the way mom and pop restaurants all used to be.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by 383S-10

Al's Breakfast
                  413 14th Ave. S.E.
                  Minneapolis, MN 55414
                  Tel: (612) 331-9991

Psycho Suzie's Motor Lounge
                  2519 Marshall St. NE
                  Minneapolis , MN 55418
                  Tel: (612) 788-9069

The Nook
                  492 Hamline Ave. S.
                  St. Paul, MN 55116
                  Tel: (651) 698-4347
                  I can tell you all three of these places are about an hour and a half northwest of Rochester. Al's breakfast is the best and I ate there often when I went to the U of M, but I think it's too far off the tour to make it a stop.

Comment

Does any know if you can get a "Butter Burger" at any of the northern stops. In 2005 I missed out on that in Milwaukee area, but I did get to try ice cream custard in Milwaukee it was good....oh one more thing tell where I can get some Point Beer....how far on the tour will I have to go to get some Point Beer?

Comment

A few of us went to Lamberts when the tour stopped in Springfield in '04. It was an excellent experience and I look forward to going back. Throwed rolls FTW!
                      Non-denominational car nut.
                      Ten Time Long Hauler! 2001-2011
                      Do you go all the way?

Comment

For sure will be stopping at Lamberts. I saw a show about this place on Direct TV Top 10 places to eat or something like that.

They were throwing them damn rolls all over the place.

Comment

Hey 383S-10, I think you are referring to "Culvers" which is a semi fast food place in the Northern states. I am sure you can do a search for "Culvers" and find their locations. Great "butter burgers" and frozen custard.

Comment

Originally posted by 383S-10
                            Does any know if you can get a "Butter Burger" at any of the northern stops. In 2005 I missed out on that in Milwaukee area, but I did get to try ice cream custard in Milwaukee it was good....oh one more thing tell where I can get some Point Beer....how far on the tour will I have to go to get some Point Beer?
                            MADISON,WI. has both... culvers and liquor stores w/ point beer. CULVERS was founded some miles from madison.

Comment

Originally posted by fast86gn
                              For sure will be stopping at Lamberts. I saw a show about this place on Direct TV Top 10 places to eat or something like that.

They were throwing them damn rolls all over the place.
                              Yeah we eat there during St. Machine Nats and one year I stood up rather quickly and got hit in the head! Good thing the waitress was so quite, it made the experience worth it!

Comment

Working...
                              X