The challenge that I accepted!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The challenge that I accepted!!!

As most of you know, I am a member of the Hot Rod Forum, just like some of you. And there always seems to be a debate, argument, if you will, about the Power Tour going out west. I accepted a challenge posted by another member, and thought I'd share it with my Bang Shift Family.

The Challenge:
    Six cities (Fort Wort Worth/Arlington is day one) to Vegas, ALL able to support the Power Tour in ALL aspects...
    1)Venue able to handle 2500-3500 cars
    2)Enough motels/hotels to handle 3750-5250 people in one night.
    3)Enough restaurants to support an evening flood of the above people.
    4)Reasonable drive times between venues.
    5)Enough gas stations between venues.

I give you- Bucky's 2013 Hot Rod Power Tour!!!!

Day 1- Ennis, Texas (Texas MotorPlex- Drag Racing ALL Weekend!!!)
    Day 2- Oklahoma, OK/ 275 Miles (Cox Convention Center)
    Day 3- Dodge City, KS/ 257 Miles (Dodge City Raceway Park)
    Day 4- Fountain (Just South of Colorado Springs), CO/ 301 Miles (Pikes Peak International Raceway- Autocross Challenge #1 and Drag Racing)
    Day 5- Durango, CO/ 307 Miles (Down Town Venue)
    Day 6- Page, AZ/ 260 Miles (Page Municipal Airport- Auto Cross Challenge #2)
    Day 7- Las Vegas, NV/ 330 Miles (Las Vegas Motor Speedway)

Now, Of course there are a few things I'd like to highlight. I wouldn't take the traditional I35 route to get to Oklahoma, as I would take highway 377 which runs you through some beautiful parts of OK, across two different large lakes/rivers.

While in Dodge City, I would coordinate with the owners of Dodge City Raceway and have a special race that night for all of us "dirt" fans. With the Power Tour in town, the track would be crazy not to host some big Sprint Car or Late Model event. Plus, that would give us Power Tour folks a chance to enjoy the evening and do something out of the "norm" for the Power Tour.

I would call the Fountain/Colorado Springs stop, Military Appreciation Day, as it's the home of Fort Carson for the Army. I would have the Power Tour do something "Special" for those that are currently serving and their FAMILY's.

Leaving Durango, enroute to Page, I would coordinate a lunch stop at the "Four Corners" and give participates the chance to have their picture taking at that spot, just like Mid-America did for us in 2010.

Now, I have several legs that are just over 300 miles, but, you will be changing time-zones, and you'll technically be gaining an hour, so that extra few miles shouldn't hurt anyone. That would be the extra benefit about doing a "West" Tour. As you can see, I have hosted not one, but two autocross challenges, and two drag strips, not to mention what we could hold the final weekend at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. There are plenty of stops along the way, and you only hit interstate once or twice, one being the last day coming into Las Vegas.

So, how'd I do?!?!?!?! I'm ready to roll, who's with me?!?!?!?!?!?!
    sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
    - George Orwell

I'd like this one too. Now, how do we finance it ourselves, or how do we get Family Events to buy it? Or should we add it to the 'bucket list'??
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Ed, I think we should try and sell this to Family Events.... Imagine ending the Power Tour in Las Vegas; that would be awesome!!! We could even shut the strip down, and do a cruise.
      sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
      - George Orwell

Comment

I'm in! When do we leave?

I R Bob
        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Bucky I like the planned route.......my question is was there any other back up or alternate routes to get to the Las Vegas destiniation or anyway to make the final day a shorter drive? Again good plan but was thinking if you had a alternate.......
          Dodge City has Boot Hill and Old West town or they did some years ago.....
          Last edited by 383S-10; July 19, 2011, 01:39 PM.
          That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

i like it i have a little hook at family events maybe i can get her a little more tipsy when i see her next

Comment

Bucky,I'm with you brother..All the way.. But you can't do this in the Summer,way to hot in AZ & NV. And I love the Page area up near Lake Powell. Stunning landscapes. But the last time I was at 4 Corners they were charging you to get in,so have Family Events work on that..So I gotta say I love it.. I can see a LOT of worn out parts after 2 drag strips and 2 autocrosses..But where do I sign up..
              Last edited by street72; July 19, 2011, 04:11 PM.
              I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

Originally posted by 383S-10 View Post
                Bucky I like the planned route.......my question is was there any other back up or alternate routes to get to the Las Vegas destiniation or anyway to make the final day a shorter drive? Again good plan but was thinking if you had a alternate.......
                Dodge City has Boot Hill and Old West town or they did some years ago.....
                Absolutely, that's the greatest part about my route. Leaving Page, Arizona, I have us going Highway 89 South, and taking the Alt 89. You can shave quite a bit of time off by going North 89, and once you hit I15, cruise straight into Las Vegas. I have the route getting off on Highway 169, cruising through Lost City Music enroute to Vegas. Change those couple things, and you shave about 70 miles off the last day.
                sigpic

- George Orwell

Comment

Sweet then Im on board......but i might actually ride shotgun on this one and then fly out the wife and then fly back home........2 years to plan it..........
                  That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

Mel was like HELL YES if Vegas is involved.
                    Myself, the heat thing...in June...dry heat but still...yikes...but then again, would beat the heck outta Mobile last year...no humidity!!
                    Andrew
                    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

I would need a Vacation from the vacation if I hit texas and vegas both in one week! BUT I'm IN I want shots of the cougar on the strip doing a big smokey with Bucky and James and Matt and Bob in tow THAT would make a kick ass photo for my garage wall

Comment

This would be an awesome tour and I agree with Rett about the heat.... The end of March is Spring break time and there would be beautiful weather then.....

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
                        1966 Plymouth Fury III
                        2014 Dodge Ram 1500
                        Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
                        Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

Im in.
                          HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                          DW- 12,16,17
                          "Stay thirsty my friends"
                          The worlds most interesting man

Comment

this sounds like a neat trip, but i doubt it would happen. it's not just up to family events. they do what hot rod wants and most of hot rod's readership, i've beeen told, is in the mid west/east coast and that's why they don't go west for power tour.
                            it doesn't hurt to try though.
                            Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by street72 View Post
                              Bucky,I'm with you brother..All the way.. But you can't do this in the Summer,way to hot in AZ & NV. And I love the Page area up near Lake Powell. Stunning landscapes. But the last time I was at 4 Corners they were charging you to get in,so have Family Events work on that..So I gotta say I love it.. I can see a LOT of worn out parts after 2 drag strips and 2 autocrosses..But where do I sign up..
                              Yeah, there probably be a lot of worn out parts, but one thing that bothers me is; if you miss that one autocross challenge because of traffic delays, or bad luck, you S.O.L. I've missed it two years in a row due to circumstances that were out of my control, so having two on "my" tour will give those individuals a chance to make it up if they missed it.

Of course the heat would kind of suck, but at least it's a "dry" heat, and it really doesn't get horrible until July. The first part of June we should be able to handle it. I mean, we survived Mobile, and it was as hot as hell down there..... And I Live in Alabama... Ha Ha!!
                              Last edited by Bucky67; July 20, 2011, 08:50 AM.
                              sigpic

- George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                              X